LinkedIn profiles are helpful for job search and professional networking, allowing you to highlight your achievements and work experience. However, if you’re going through a job transition and need time to update your profile, you might want to hibernate or temporarily deactivate your LinkedIn account. This guide will help you understand the consequences of deactivating your account and provide step-by-step instructions on how to do so.
Table of Contents
How to Deactivate LinkedIn Account Temporarily
By deactivating your account temporarily, you can control the information shared on your profile better and protect your privacy during this transitional period. The necessary steps for this method are outlined further in this article. So, let’s get started!
To temporarily deactivate your LinkedIn account, follow these steps:
1. Sign in to your LinkedIn account using your credentials.
2. Click on the Me tab from the top of the LinkedIn homepage and then select Settings & Privacy.
3. Click on the Hibernate account option.
4. Select the desired reason for deactivation and enter the account password.
5. Finally, click on Hibernate account.
Can I Hide My LinkedIn Profile From Everyone?
Yes, you can hide your LinkedIn profile from everyone by disabling profile visibility and hibernating it for the desired time.
Can You Deactivate LinkedIn without Deleting?
Yes, you can deactivate your LinkedIn account without deleting it. You just need to hibernate it from your account settings.
Can I Delete My LinkedIn Account and Create a New One?
Yes, you can delete your LinkedIn account and create a new one with a different email address.
Should I Delete My LinkedIn Account?
It depends. You may consider deleting your LinkedIn account for a number of reasons.
- Sometimes it may cost you your mental peace to keep pace and maintain your LinkedIn profile to be displayed in as many searches as possible.
- You may not commit to maintaining your LinkedIn account. Furthermore, when you have a secured and reliable job at hand, you may not want to update your LinkedIn profile.
- If you are too busy to check your LinkedIn profile regularly for upcoming invites, you can think of opting out of it.
- You may prefer to stay within the status quo and not search for better online jobs immediately.
What Happens If I Deactivate My LinkedIn Account?
Once you deactivate your LinkedIn account temporarily, your profile will not be visible to anyone on LinkedIn, including your connections. You will be referred to as an anonymous LinkedIn member, not by name. However, recommendations and endorsements you have shared with others will remain on the platform until you log into your account. Messages will stay the same too. Read along to find the steps on how to hibernate your LinkedIn account.
Also Read: What Happens When You Deactivate Instagram?
What Happens If I Close My LinkedIn Account?
Closing your LinkedIn account is the same as deleting it. Once you close your LinkedIn account, your profile will get deleted, including your name, profile photo, education & work history, recommendations, connections, and any other content associated with your account. It will also prevent you from accessing your account messages and groups.
What Happens When I Delete My LinkedIn Account?
Things are a little bit less harsh when you hibernate your LinkedIn account, but when you delete it, it is permanently removed from the LinkedIn platform.
Note: When you are a premium member, you may still choose not to close your basic free account to retain your connections and profile details. If you have a duplicate account, learn how to delete that too!
- You will lose access to your LinkedIn account and connections. You may care to download a copy of all your LinkedIn data before you bid farewell to the platform.
- Your profile visibility will be turned off by default. However, you may still appear on searches in Google and Yahoo due to their processed search results.
- You will lose all your recommendations and endorsements associated with your LinkedIn profile.
Note: If you choose to delete your basic LinkedIn profile, you also need to close other alternative subscriptions, like your Premium membership, premium account license, or if you own a LinkedIn group.
You can reopen your LinkedIn account if it has been closed for less than fourteen days. However, even if you are able to reopen your account, you will not be able to access:
- Endorsements and recommendations associated with your account
- Ignored or pending invitations on your profile
- Followings which include Top Voices, Companies, and others
- Group memberships associated with your account
How Long Can You Hibernate LinkedIn Account?
You can hibernate your LinkedIn account for the desired period. But you will have to wait at least 24 hours to reactivate it.
Also Read: How Long Does Yahoo Keep Old Email Accounts?
How Can I Hide My LinkedIn Profile without Deleting It?
Read the below steps to learn how to hide your LinkedIn profile:
Method 1: Through LinkedIn Website
1. Visit the LinkedIn website on your browser.
2. Sign in to your account with your Email/phone number and password.
Note: If you have created the account through Google, select Sign in with Google.
3. Click on the Me tab from the top of the home page, as shown.
4. Click on View Profile.
5. Click on Edit public profile & URL on the right side of the screen.
6. Turn off the toggle for the Your profile’s public visibility option to hide your profile.
Note: You can also hide specific settings by toggling it off to hide that information from your public profile. Changes are saved automatically.
Method 2: Through LinkedIn App
1. Open the LinkedIn application on your mobile.
2. Sign in with your LinkedIn account credentials.
3. Tap on your Profile picture icon from the top left corner.
4. Tap on Settings.
5. Tap on Visibility.
6. Tap on Edit your public profile.
7. Swipe down and turn off the toggle for the Your profile’s public visibility option.
Also Read: How to Anonymously View a LinkedIn Profile
How Do I Temporarily Hide My LinkedIn Profile?
You can choose to toggle off your profile visibility to temporarily hide your LinkedIn profile. Refer to the above heading to learn the required steps.
How Do I Suspend My LinkedIn Account?
You can suspend your account for 24 hours by hibernating it. Follow through the steps listed below to get a grasp of it.
Method 1: Using LinkedIn Website
1. Navigate to the LinkedIn website on your browser.
2. Then, Sign in to your LinkedIn account.
3. Click on the Me tab from the top.
4. Now, click on Settings & Privacy.
5. Scroll down to click on Hibernate account under the Account management section.
6. Select the desired reason why you want to hibernate your account and click on Next.
7. Enter your Password and click on Hibernate account to complete the process.
Method 2: On LinkedIn App
1. Open the LinkedIn app and Sign in to your account.
2. Tap on the Profile icon > Settings option.
3. Tap on Account preferences.
4. Swipe down and tap on Hibernate account.
5. Select the desired reason from the available ones.
6. Tap on Next.
7. Type out your Password and tap on Hibernate account.
How to Deactivate LinkedIn Account Temporarily?
Temporarily disabling your LinkedIn account is the same as hibernating it. Read and follow the steps mentioned above to learn how to do so.
How to Deactivate LinkedIn Account on Mobile?
In LinkedIn, deactivating is the same as hibernating your account. You can follow the method mentioned in the above heading to successfully deactivate your LinkedIn account.
How to Deactivate LinkedIn Premium?
If you sign in directly through LinkedIn, you can cancel your LinkedIn premium subscription from the LinkedIn desktop website or the mobile app. Besides, you can cancel your subscription till the next billing date. In case of any immediacy, you can contact LinkedIn customer support to deactivate premium features as soon as possible.
Method 1: From LinkedIn Website
1. Access your LinkedIn Premium account and click on the Me tab from the top.
2. Click on Premium features.
3. Then, click on Manage subscription.
4. Once redirected to the Manage premium account page, click on Cancel subscription.
5. Thereafter follow the onscreen prompts to complete the cancellation.
Method 2: Using LinkedIn App
1. Open the LinkedIn app on your phone.
2. Sign in to your LinkedIn account and tap on the profile icon.
3. Tap on Premium features.
4. Tap on the drop-down option next to Subscription details under Premium Account and Features.
5. Tap on Manage subscription. You’ll be redirected to the Manage Premium account settings page.
6. Tap on Cancel subscription.
7. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the cancellation process.
How to Delete LinkedIn Account on iPhone?
You can delete your LinkedIn account through your iPhone by following the steps listed below.
1. Launch the LinkedIn app on your iPhone and Sign in to your account.
2. Tap on the Profile icon from the top left corner.
3. Tap on Settings.
4. Swipe down and tap on Help Center.
5. Tap on Close your account.
6. Tap on Continue.
7. Select the desired reason why you would like to close your account on LinkedIn and tap on Next.
8. Elaborate on your reason for taking such action and tap on Next.
9. Enter your Password to close the account.
10. Mark the unsubscribe checkbox and tap on Done.
Once your account is closed, you will get a confirmation email on your registered email ID.
How Do I Permanently Delete My LinkedIn Account?
You need to close your LinkedIn account to permanently deactivate it from the platform.
Note: When you are a premium member, you may still choose not to close your basic free account to retain your connections and profile details.
Method 1: From LinkedIn Website
1. Go to your LinkedIn account on the browser and click on the Me tab > Settings & Privacy.
2. From the Account management section, click on Close account, as shown below.
3. Select the reason to close your account.
4. Click on Next.
5. Click on Continue.
6. Enter your Password and click on Done to complete the process.
Method 2: Using LinkedIn App
1. From the LinkedIn app, tap on the profile icon > Settings option.
2. Tap on Account preferences.
3. Swipe down to the bottom of the menu and tap on Close account.
4. Tap on Continue to proceed with closing your account.
5. Select the reason and tap on Next.
6. Enter your account password.
7. Lastly, tap on Done to complete the closing process.
How Do I Delete or Deactivate My LinkedIn Account?
Deleting and deactivating your account is not the same thing.
- You can deactivate your LinkedIn account by hibernating it which is limited to 24 hours.
- You will have to delete your account by closing your LinkedIn account. This will be a permanent erasure of your LinkedIn account from the platform itself.
You will have to read and follow the methods mentioned in the respective heading in this article to achieve the desired process.
- 23 Games Like Mario Kart for PC
- How to Cancel Pending Invite on Clubhouse
- How to Bypass LinkedIn Connection Limit
- How to View the LinkedIn Desktop Site from Your Android/iOS
Thus, deleting your LinkedIn account is a one-time solution to all your issues with your account. You can also, otherwise, learn the steps on how to hibernate your account and work on your profile to update it or make it better. We hope that this guide was helpful to deactivate LinkedIn account. If you have any queries or suggestions, feel free to drop them in the comments section below.