Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger’s mobile check-in software Burbn served as the basis for Instagram’s early stages of development in San Francisco. Today, it is a social networking site for global users to share photos and videos, with its headquarters in Menlo Park, California. Facebook bought the business in 2012 for $1 billion. On the Instagram platform, users can directly communicate with other users who are using iOS or Android-based phones, take and share photographs and stories, and use effects and filters. Instagram has over a billion monthly users on average today. It takes diligence and remembering to keep online sites and services secure, mainly social media accounts. It might be time for you to change password on Instagram if you continue to log in using a weak password, one that is repeated across several websites, or a password that has the potential to be exposed in a hack or data breach. If you are someone looking for tips about Instagram, we bring you a helpful guide that will teach you how to change your Instagram password if you forgot it.
Table of Contents
How to Change Your Instagram Password If You Forgot It
Keep reading further to find the steps explaining how to change your Instagram password if you forgot it in detail with useful illustrations for better understanding.
It should be noted that Instagram will always know your device details, which comes in handy whenever someone else tries to log into your Instagram account using a different device. If you have your email linked to your account, you will receive a notification about a new device login, and the information is recorded on Instagram’s database too. Regardless, it cannot be specified enough how important it can be to change your password every 6 months or more. It is the highest level of security you can maintain yourself to keep your account protected.
These easy-to-follow steps can help you change your password on Instagram:
2. Tap on the Profile tab from the bottom right corner.
3. Tap on the hamburger icon from the top right corner of your screen.
4. From the popup menu, tap on Settings.
5. Tap on Security.
6. Tap on Password.
7. Now, tap on Forgot your password? link.
8. You will be notified that a text message containing a link to reset your password has been sent to your verified mobile number on Instagram. Tap on OK.
9. Open the Messaging app and locate and tap on the Instagram text message.
Note: You will receive the text almost immediately. If not, look for a message with the words Tap to reset your Instagram pass.., or similar.
10. Tap on the reset link provided in the text.
11. You will be redirected to Instagram. On this new page, enter and confirm your New Password in the designated fields.
Note: The new passwords must both be identical. Please do not put your old password in any of the boxes.
12. After entering the password, tap on Reset Password to finish the process.
How Can I Change My Instagram Password without Old Email?
Instagram has a lot of features to boast about, and one of them is security. Your data is protected and kept secure in their database as long as you choose to keep an account. You can change your account password without using the email or your username too. This is because Instagram allows you to link your mobile number too, or you can even use your Facebook account to log in. If your mobile number is linked to your Instagram account, changing your password without an email is easy. So, read and follow the steps mentioned above to learn how to change Instagram password without old email.
You can change your Instagram account password without logging into your account too. For this process to work, you must follow the steps given below:
1. Visit the Instagram website on your phone browser.
2. On the login screen, tap on the Forgot password? link.
3. Enter your username, phone number, or email id and tap on Send login link.
4. Mark the I’m not a robot captcha and tap on Next to prove that you are not a bot trying to access this account.
5. Tap on OK on the SMS Sent page.
6. Open the text message you have received from Instagram on your device.
7. Tap on the Instagram link provided. You will be redirected to a new page where you can log into your account after resetting your password.
8. Enter and confirm your new password and tap on Change Password.
Also Read: How to Change Gmail Password in 5 minutes
You can be facing problems like this because of a wide range of problems. Usually, Instagram has a set of rules defined within their system that prevents situations where a user cannot get access to their account. When properly used, the option to change the password can help anyone who wants to learn how to change your Instagram password if you forgot it.
However, if you cannot change your Instagram password, these could be the possible reasons:
- Your application isn’t updated properly.
- You are trying to use an old password when asked to enter your new password.
- You aren’t using at least 6 characters, which could also include numbers, capital letters, or special symbols.
- You may have joined with a different email address or entered it incorrectly when you initially signed up.
- Your account has been disabled. Usually, you wouldn’t be able to log into your account in the first place.
If you did not receive your password reset email, the first thing you should do is check the spam folder of your email. If you still cannot find the mail, you should keep these tips in mind:
- Remember, your email is not the only thing that can be linked to your Instagram. Use other credentials like your phone number, your username, or even Facebook to log in. If any of these are already linked to your profile, you can receive the password reset link separately.
- The email address you entered might be wrong, or you might have used a separate email ID for logging in. Instagram will be unable to grant you access to this account if you entered an incorrect email address when creating your account.
- If these steps aren’t helping either, you should consider contacting your email provider to verify that you are able to receive emails from the @instagram.com address to change password on Instagram.
It’s possible that the account you’re attempting to get into was formed with a different e-mail address if you’re getting a reset password email for the incorrect account. It’s also possible that someone else started a password recovery process using your email address by accident. Try any extra emails you might have used to restore access to the proper account.
What You Can Do If Your Email Address Can’t be Found during a Password Reset for Your Instagram Account?
As mentioned before, there can be problems like this where the account you are requesting access to has an email address that you cannot find anymore, or the mail for a password reset was sent to a different email, not yours. In this case, if you wish to change Instagram password without old email, you can take the alternative options available to log into your handle. These include your phone number, username, or your Facebook profile too.
Note: If you haven’t liked any of the alternative credentials on your Instagram, you cannot get access to the account.
- Fix Ucrtbase.dll Was Not Found Error on Windows 10
- What Happens When You Remove a Follower on Instagram?
- How to Change Profile Picture on Instagram
- How to Change Password on Netflix
We hope that you learned how to change your Instagram password if you forgot it. Feel free to reach out to us with your queries and suggestions via the comments section below. Also, let us know what you want to learn about next.