Worrying about why won’t my Messenger notification go away? It is annoying if a notification remains on your device even after you’ve read the message. Today’s guide will help you fix Facebook Messenger notification wont go away issue.
How to Fix Facebook Messenger Notification Won’t Go Away
Facebook Messenger notifications can be irritating sometimes. Read this article till the end to fix Facebook Messenger notification wont go away on your Android device.
Try clearing Messenger cache data to fix notification wont go away on Android. Go to your device Settings > Apps & notifications > See all apps > Messenger > Storage > Clear Cache.
Why Facebook Messenger Notification Wont Go Away?
There are several reasons that can force your app to keep showing you unwanted notification badges. Let us look at some of these causes in brief below:
- Unread message requests in Messenger.
- Outdated version of the Messenger app.
- Low device memory.
- Facebook Messenger notifications.
- Glitches or bugs interfering with the app.
Now that you have got an idea about what this annoying Messenger notification is, it is time to get it fixed with the help of some easy and doable methods as given below:
Method 1: View Message Requests
If there is a Messenger notification on your Android phone that is not going away, it can be prominently due to actual unread messages in the Message Request section of Messenger. These requests are usually sent by strangers on the platform whom you have not added as Facebook friend. You can read these messages on your phone by following the steps below:
1. On your Android smartphone, launch the Messenger app.
2. Now, tap on the hamburger icon at the top to open up the menu.
3. Next, tap on the Message requests tab from the left pane.
4. Now, read the unread messages from the list.
Method 2: Re-Mark Messages
If you are wondering, why won’t my Messenger notification go away, then re-marking messages on Messenger to get rid of constant notifications from the platform might help you out. To re-mark messages, you can follow the steps below:
1. Open the Messenger application on your Android phone.
2. Now, long-press on a chat from the list.
3. Finally, tap on Mark as read.
To resolve the issue, you can perform the steps for each conversation on the platform.
Also read: How to Unblock Someone on Facebook Messenger
Method 3: Update Messenger App
An outdated version of the Messenger app is also open to vulnerable bug attacks or glitches. Therefore, you should make sure that your app is up-to-date in order to avoid unwanted notifications. You can update Messenger by following the steps below:
1. On your Android device, open the Play Store application.
2. At the top right corner of the screen, tap on your name icon.
3. Then, tap on the Manage apps & device option.
4. Next, tap on Updates available in the Overview tab.
5. Tap on the Messenger app from the list.
6. Finally, tap on the Update button.
Method 4: Clear Notification Badges
Another way with which you can easily fix Facebook Messenger notification wont go away Android is by simply clearing the badge. This method is especially for Messenger mobile app users.
1. On your Android phone, long-press the Messenger app.
2. Now, tap on the Clear notification badge from the pop-up menu.
Method 5: Tweak Notification Settings
Modifying your Messenger settings can also help you in fixing the Messenger notification not going away issue. You can make changes in the notification settings of the app and disable them to help you with the problem. To tweak notification settings on your smartphone, follow the steps below:
1. Launch the Facebook Messenger app on your Android phone.
2. Now, open the options menu from the left and tap on the Settings gear icon at the top.
3. Next, tap on Notifications & sounds from the menu.
4. Now, tap on the Customize notifications tab in it.
5. Finally, toggle off the button for Allow notifications.
Method 6: View Archive Messages
Archive messages can also be a reason behind Facebook Messenger notification wont go away. These archived messages are usually set aside by Facebook as most of these are from unknown users. Sometimes, offending messages like these can trigger the mobile icon glitch. You can view the archive messages by following the steps below:
1. Open the Messenger application and tap on the hamburger icon in it.
2. Now, tap on the Archive tab in it.
3. Then, open any unread messages or mark them as read.
Method 7: Send Yourself a Message
Some Messenger users have also managed to resolve the message notification issue by sending themselves a message. You can also ask your friend to send you a message on the platform to fix this problem.
Method 8: Reinstall Messenger
Finally, you can get rid of the Facebook Messenger notification wont go away by uninstalling and then reinstalling the app as well. This annoying notification issue can be a result of an internal app glitch or a bug interfering with its operation and there is nothing that a fresh installation of the app cannot resolve. So, reinstall Messenger on your smartphone with the help of the following steps:
1. Launch Android Settings and open Apps & permissions in it.
2. Then, select App manager to open the Messenger app.
3. Next, tap on Uninstall in the App info.
4. Confirm the action by selecting OK.
5. Launch the Play Store application next.
6. Go to the search bar and open Messenger in it.
7. Finally, tap on the Install button.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Why is Messenger showing unwanted notifications on my Android phone?
Ans. Messenger can sometimes throw unknowing notifications due to an app glitch that results in an unread message badge on the app icon.
Q2. Why is the Facebook app showing me a Messenger notification?
Ans. Facebook app on your phone can show you Messenger notifications if Messenger notifications on the Facebook page are turned on. Turning on this feature will send you notifications when someone in Messenger sends you a message.
Q3. How can I get rid of 1 on the Messenger app icon?
Ans. You can get rid of the 1 notification on the Messenger app icon by either opening the app and reading the notification or clearing the badge.
Q4. Can I view archived messages on Messenger in the inbox?
Ans. No, you cannot view archived messages on Messenger in the inbox. There is a separate section for archived messages on the platform.
Q5. What does a circle mean on the Messenger app?
Ans. A circle on the Messenger app indicates that your message was sent.
- 13 Best Apex Legends Discord Servers
- How to Prevent Google Chrome From Saving Passwords
- 10 Ways to Fix Facebook Messenger Calls Not Ringing
- 10 Ways to Fix Facebook Messenger lagging on Android
This brings us to the end of our guide on Facebook messenger notification wont go away. We hope that all of the methods given above helped you out in fixing the unwanted notification error on the platform. Don’t forget to leave your other queries or suggestions for us in the comments section below.