Facebook Messenger is a great platform to stay connected with your friends and family online, especially ones living far away. Just like any other messaging app, Messenger helps you get regular notifications about messages that you receive from your Facebook friends. However, you might also come across Messenger notification but no message on your phone app. If so, you have come to the right place for the solution. Keep reading to fix the issue!
How to Fix Messenger Notification But No Message on Android
If you are facing Messenger notification but no message error, then this guide will teach you how to solve this problem.
If you are receiving notifications from Messenger but no actual message is being displayed, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:
1. Mark messages as read.
2. Update your Messenger app.
3. Clear app cache and data.
4. Reinstall Messenger App.
Why Do I Have a Message Notification on Facebook but No Message?
Android Messenger users can sometimes encounter a glitch where the application shows a message notification but on opening the app there is no message. Sometimes, even if you have already seen all the messages, the app might still send you notifications about them. This can happen due to different reasons listed below:
- Unread messages in the message request box
- Disabled app notifications for Messenger
- An issue with the memory of the device or device itself
- Outdated messenger app
- Bugs or glitches within the Messenger app
Considering the reasons that lead to unwanted message notifications on Messenger, there are a few solutions that you can try to troubleshoot this issue.
Note: Settings might differ in Android phones. And they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer hence, ensure the correct settings before changing any. The following steps have been performed on Vivo 1920.
Method 1: Restart Messenger App
To start with, closing the app and then restarting it might not help you in ending the false message notification from Messenger. You can force close the Messenger app on your device with the help of the following steps:
1. First, tap on the Settings gear icon on your Android phone.
2. Now, navigate to Apps & permissions in the menu and tap on it.
3. Next, tap on the App manager tab in it.
4. Then, locate the Messenger app from the list to open it.
5. Finally, in App info, tap on Force stop.
6. Then, tap on OK in the pop-up message to confirm your actions.
Method 2: Read Unseen Messages
If you are wondering why do I have a message notification on Facebook but no message, then unseen messages in the Messenger app are one of the most prominent reasons. Sometimes, there can actually be some messages that you have not read. So, see those unseen messages to fix the issue:
1. On your Android phone, tap on the Messenger app icon.
2. Check the list of messages and open all unread messages.
Once done, you will find no annoying unread message badge anymore.
Also Read: How to Turn ON/OFF Chat Heads on Messenger
Method 3: Mark All Messages as Read
You can also get rid of this annoying message notification on Messenger by marking all the messages as read. Doing so has helped a number of users in fixing the issue easily. You can also mark messages as read on Messenger by following the steps below:
1. On your smartphone, open the Messenger app.
2. Now, long press on the chat and tap on Mark as read.
Method 4: View Messages in Message Requests
Another method to help you out with Messenger notification but no message issue involves checking the message requests option in the application. This will help you to go through messages from people you don’t know or who are not added as your friend on Facebook. You can check message requests by following the steps below:
1. Tap on the Messenger app icon on your Android phone.
2. Now, tap on the hamburger icon at the top left corner of the screen.
3. Next, tap on the Message requests tab from the left pane.
4. Now, open all the message request chats or mark them as read.
Also Read: Facebook Messenger Rooms and Group Limit
Method 5: View Archived Messages
There are some Facebook messages that are automatically archived and are not present in the main chat box. If these archived messages are not read, Messenger can keep on notifying you about unread messages. So, open archived messages and read them to fix this problem:
1. Open the Messenger application and tap on the hamburger icon in it.
2. Now, tap on the Archive tab in it.
3. Then, open any unread messages or mark them as read.
Method 6: Turn Off Messenger App Notifications
Turning off messenger app notifications is also a great way to fix the Messenger notification but no message Android issue. If the app is glitchy or its notifications are bothering you, you can simply turn them off by following the steps below:
1. Launch the Facebook Messenger app on your Android phone.
2. Now, open the options menu from the left and tap on the Settings gear icon at the top.
3. Next, tap on Notifications & sounds from the menu.
4. Now, tap on the Customize notifications tab in it.
5. Finally, turn off the toggle for Allow notification.
Also Read: How to Send Music on Facebook Messenger
Method 7: Clear Messenger Cache
To resolve the notification badge issue on the Messenger app, it is advisable to clear the app cache. This is because, with time, the stored cache of the app becomes corrupt and makes the app glitchy. Therefore, clearing it seems to be a plausible solution in this case.
1. Launch the Settings application on your Android phone to open Apps & Permissions in it.
2. Then, tap on App manager to open Messenger.
3. Now, tap on the Storage option in the App info.
4. Finally, tap on Clear cache.
Method 8: Update Messenger
An outdated app can also result in Messenger notification but no message. Therefore, you must install the latest version of the app to avoid glitches and bug invasions. You can update Messenger on your smartphone with the help of the following steps:
1. On your Android device, open the Play Store application.
2. At the top right corner of the screen, tap on your name icon.
3. Then, tap on the Manage apps & device option.
4. Next, tap on Updates available in the Overview tab.
5. Tap on the Messenger app from the list.
6. Finally, tap on the Update button.
Method 9: Reinstall Messenger
Also, to fix a prominent issue like Messenger notification but no message, you can try uninstalling the app and then reinstalling it too. This solution works well in cases where there are issues within the app. You can reinstall Messenger with the help of the following steps:
1. Launch Android Settings and open Apps & notifications in it.
2. Then, select App manager > Messenger.
3. Next, tap on Uninstall in the App info.
4. Confirm the action by selecting OK.
5. Launch the Play Store application next.
6. Go to the search bar and open Messenger in it.
7. Finally, tap on the Install button.
Method 10: Report Issue to Facebook
Finally, to resolve the message notification issue on Messenger, you can contact Facebook Support. You can take a screenshot of the problem and send it to the technicians who can further help you in fixing it. You can use this method as a last resort if none of the above-mentioned solutions have helped you out.
- Fix Tinder Verification Not Working
- How to Add Reaction Roles on Discord Carl Bot
- Fix Facebook Messenger Contacts Not Showing
- How to Fix Facebook Messenger Switch Account Problem
This brings us to the end of our guide on Messenger notification but no message. We hope that the solutions given above helped you in every possible way in getting rid of the unwanted message notification. You can leave your other valuable queries and suggestions for us in the comments section below.