Having an app that is constantly updated without having to open and connect to the internet can be considered as a life hack. Background app refresh allows the app to fetch the latest data to make things a lot easier for you but it sure can be quite annoying when background app refresh not working. If you are also facing the same problem, then, you are on the right page. In this article, we bring you the fixes for your background app refresh iPhone not working.
Table of Contents
- How to Fix Background App Refresh Not Working on iPhone
- Understand What is Background App Refresh
- Why Background App Refresh iPhone Greyed Out?
- Solutions for Background App Refresh iPhone Not Working on iPhone
- Method 6: Update iOS
- How Much Data Background App Refresh Use
- Does Turning Off Background App Refresh Slow Down iPhone?
How to Fix Background App Refresh Not Working on iPhone
To know how to fix Background App Refresh not working, we first need to understand the cause of it. Keep reading to have a further understanding of it.
Understand What is Background App Refresh
Background app refresh is a feature that is found in iOS and Android devices. It allows apps to update content from the internet and perform all sorts of functions in the background of your iOS device. Once the background app refresh is on, all apps will be automatically updated so that you won’t need to open the app every time you want to update. So, what do you think is background app refresh? Let us understand its uses first to get a better understanding of it.
- Apps that track mobile data usage collect information in the background.
- Automatic syncing of Cloud Storage.
- Social media app like Instagram also gets updated automatically.
- News apps get the latest headlines when using background app refresher.
Why Background App Refresh iPhone Greyed Out?
It can be quite frustrating if Background App Refresh iPhone greyed out. If you find this problem, then it could be because of the given reasons.
- The low-power mode is on as the Background app refresh gets automatically disabled while low-power mode is on.
- You have been force quit an app recently.
- The Background App Refresh is disabled for all apps.
- Your iOS version might not be compatible.
- The app might need an update.
- The Beta Tester might be causing an issue
Solutions for Background App Refresh iPhone Not Working on iPhone
You would be astonished to know that several iPhone apps rely on background refresh to get access to the latest data. By doing this, it shows you the most recent information and notifies you about it as well. Now that you have an idea of how Background app refresh works, it will be easier for you to understand why background app refresh not working. Let us discuss what can fix this issue.
Method 1: Change iPhone Settings
Background app refresh is by default turned on but you can manually toggle it on if it is off by any chance. To toggle it on, follow the steps given below.
1. Open phone Settings.
2. Scroll down to General and tap on it.
3. Next, tap on Background App Refresh.
4. Toggle On Background App Refresh.
Also Read: Why My iPhone is Frozen and Won’t Turn Off or Reset
Method 2: Update Apps
Oftentimes, the poor build of an app can also cause Background App Refresh to not work on iPhone. So, if the first method didn’t do its magic, updating the app can. Follow the steps to the possible fix of the issue.
1. Open the App Store.
2. On the top right corner, tap on the profile picture.
3. On the Account page, search for the app in the list of apps waiting to get updated.
4. Tap on the app, if present.
Method 3: Disable Low Power Mode
An issue with iPhone is its battery life and this is when the low-powered mode comes in. This feature can come in handy at times but this also automatically disables the Background App Refresh toggle causing the issue. If you want to disable the low-power mode on your iPhone, follow the given steps.
1. Go to the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Scroll down and select Battery.
3. Toggle off Low Power Mode to deactivate it.
By performing this step, your issue should be solved but if it still exists, you may use the next methods to see if it works or not.
Method 4: Leave Beta Programme
Apple has the Test Flight app through which the users can register as beta testers to use the early builds of various apps. Any app in its early form may face such issues with the Background app refresh. If you are facing such an issue, you might as well consider quitting the beta app and going back to the App Store’s stable version. Opting for this method may help fix the issue of background app refresh.
Also Read: Fix iPhone Calendar Invitation Cannot be Sent Error
Method 5: Reset iPhone Settings
The smallest of smallest tweaks can be your answer. One thing that is found on Apple and in no other device is that Apple has, thankfully, included a universal reset settings option that reset all toggles as it was. To reset Settings on your iPhone, you can go through these steps.
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Scroll down to General and tap on it.
3. Next, navigate to Transfer or Reset iPhone and tap on it.
4. Next, select Reset.
5. Next, select Reset All settings.
6. Finally, enter your password and wait for the reset to get over
Also Read: How to Fix All Contact Names Disappeared on iPhone
Method 6: Update iOS
An older version of iOS can also cause many problems such as the background app refresh. If you’re using an older version of the app, it might be incompatible and might be the cause of this issue. To update iOS, follow the steps.
1. Go to Settings.
2. Scroll to General and tap on it.
3. Select Software Update.
4. Tap Download and Install to update the device.
Method 7: Contact iPhone Support
If any of the methods worked then congratulations and we are happy if any of the provided methods worked but if it did not work then you still have the option to contact the app developer. You can always report an app, in any case, it doesn’t respond to background refresh even after the feature is allowed for the app. On an Apple forum, you can let other users know about the issue and discuss the solution or you can try to contact iPhone support team.
Also Read: How to Factory Reset iPhone X
How Much Data Background App Refresh Use
The Background App Refresh includes automatic updates, shows notifications on your home screen, and gets you the latest information upon opening the app next time. Though Background App Refresh needs to turn on in order to fetch the latest data it can drain your battery and consume data at an alarming rate. On approx, it takes about 3-5MB per hour. If you want to save cellular data, we recommend you turn off the Background App Refresh on your iPhone.
Does Turning Off Background App Refresh Slow Down iPhone?
No, if your iPhone is new, it doesn’t really slow down the phone but unfortunately, this default setting does slow down after a year or two of usage.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. How often should I refresh my iPhone?
Ans. Refreshing your iPhone should take about two minutes of your day. This will help you preserve memory and prevents crashes which is why we recommend you restart your smartphone once a week.
Q2. Which background apps drain the battery?
Ans. You must have noticed that your iPhone battery dramatically drains at times. This can be because of the usage of large apps that you spend the most time in such as Instagram, Netflix, YouTube, LinkedIn, WhatsApp, Snapchat, Facebook, and many more.
Q3. What does iPhone background app refresh do?
Ans. Background app refresh enables automatic updates of an app and makes the experience of using an app easier for you. In this article, we have discussed what background app refresh is and how to fix any related issue.
- 9 Ways to Find a Book Using a Vague Description
- 20 Best Free Face Morph App for Android
- Fix iPhone In App Purchase Is Not Supported Error
- 12 Ways to Fix iPhone Flashlight Not Working
We hope that this article helped you fix Background App Refresh not working error and hopefully, you have found the solution to background app refresh iPhone greyed out. Feel free to ask our doubts and don’t forget to add your suggestions in the comment section below. Let us know which method worked for you.