The computer is connected to a Smart TV using an HDMI cable. Using HDMI, you can have a home theatre setup by connecting an HDTV or video projector to a computer. This cable will help in connecting to components for both audio and video. However, users have reported that sometimes computers do not recognize TV. If you are facing your PC won’t connect to TV issue, then you are in the right place. This article on how to fix computer won’t connect to TV issue will resolve the issue.
How to Fix Windows 10 PC Won’t Connect to TV HDMI
Whenever an external device is connected to the computer, Windows 10 sets the device ready to work with that device. For instance, when you connect a pen drive, you will see a prompt for File Explorer to run it. The process is similar when you connect a TV. If your computer fails to recognize the TV, then follow any of the methods below to resolve the issue.
Why Computer won’t Connect to TV?
Below are some of the reasons why your PC won’t connect to TV:
- Outdated driver
- Issues with the HDMI cable
- Issues with HDMI port
Basic Troubleshooting Tips
Before trying advanced troubleshooting methods, let us try some of the basic troubleshooting methods:
- Loosen up the HDMI coil if it is coiled tightly.
- Since HDMI is sensitive, check whether the pins on the HDMI are damaged.
- Use another HDMI cable.
- Remove other connections of the TV using the HDMI hub or switch.
- Try to connect HDMI cable directly to the TV.
- Try to connect to another HDMI port if your TV has multiple ports.
- Discharge the computer by removing AC adapters, power cables, and peripheral devices.
- Disconnect all ports and restart your computer and TV. Then, reconnect them.
Method 1: Enable Projection Mode
If Windows 10 has failed to automatically detect the connection to the TV, then you can enable the projection mode:
1. Press Windows + P keys simultaneously on the keyboard.
2. Select Extend to display your computer screen on the TV.
Note: You can also choose Duplicate.
Method 2: Select Input Source on TV
If a TV has more than one display port, it might not detect the incoming video signal automatically and cause Windows 10 DisplayPort Not Working issue and cause Windows 10 DisplayPort Not Working issue. In this case, you can select input on the TV. Follow the steps below:
1. Press the Input Source menu button on the TV remote.
2. Select HDMI. This will display the screen of the computer.
Also Read: How to Convert Coaxial Cable to HDMI
Method 3: Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
If there is any issue with the PC hardware, running the troubleshooter will automatically diagnose the problems and fix them. Follow the steps written below to run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter to fix Computer won’t Connect to TV issue.
1. Press the Windows key, type Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator.
2. Click Yes in the User Account Control prompt.
3. Type the command msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic and press Enter.
4. Click on the Advanced option, as shown.
5. Check the Apply repairs automatically option and click on Next.
6. Click on Next to proceed.
7. The troubleshooter will now run. If problems are detected, it will display two options:
- Apply this fix
- Skip this fix
8. Here, click on Apply this fix, and restart your PC.
If the issue occurs on your PC even after running the troubleshooter, then you can try updating the video driver.
Method 4: Update Display Driver
Outdated or damaged video drivers can also be one of the reasons behind PC won’t connect to TV issues. Follow the steps below:
1. Click on Start and type Device Manager. Click on Open.
2. Double-click Display adapters to expand it.
3. Right-click on your display adapters and select Update driver.
4. Next, select Search automatically for drivers.
5A. If the drivers have been updated already, it shows The best drivers for your device are already installed.
5B. If any updates are available then, Windows will install them automatically.
6. After this process, restart your computer.
Also Read: How to Install Kodi on Smart TV
Method 5: Reinstall Driver in Compatibility Mode
If you face PC won’t connect to TV issue, then you have to use the driver in compatibility mode for a previous Windows version. Follow the steps below.
1. Open Device Manager and go to Display adapters as shown in Method 4.
2. Right-click on the video device and select Uninstall device.
3. Check the Delete the driver software for this device option. Then, click on Uninstall button in the confirmation prompt.
4. Restart your PC after uninstalling the driver.
5. Next, download the appropriate driver from the manufacturer’s website.
Note: For example, visit Intel’s official website to download the latest USB driver for Intel Graphics.
6. Once the file is downloaded, go to the download location and select the setup file.
7. Right-click on the .exe setup file and then select Properties from the menu.
8. Now, go to the Compatibility tab.
9. Next, check the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for.
10. From the drop-down menu, select a previous Windows OS version.
11. Click Apply and then OK to save changes.
12. Finally, reboot your PC again.
Method 6: Change Display Settings
Changing the display settings to the recommended settings will help resolve computer won’t connect to TV issue. Follow the steps below:
1. Open Settings by pressing Windows + I keys simultaneously.
2. Select the System settings.
3. In the left-hand menu select Display.
4. Here, set the Recommended options for Scale and layout, and Display resolution.
5. Now, click on Advanced display settings.
6. Select the recommended and required rate (e.g. 60.008 Hz) under Refresh rate.
Also Read: Fix Family Sharing YouTube TV Not Working
Method 7: Perform Factory Reset on TV
If none of the methods above worked, then factory reset your TV to resolve your PC won’t connect to TV problem. Follow the given steps to perform factory reset on TV.
Note: The settings may vary depending on the manufacturer of the TV. Below settings and methods are based on the Samsung R series.
1. Press the Home button on the TV remote.
2. Select Settings, then Support in the left pane.
3. Here, select the Self Diagnosis option.
4. Now, select the Reset option and enter the PIN.
5. Finally, select Yes to confirm.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. How can I check whether my display output is working well?
Ans. After connecting the HDMI cable, right-click on the Desktop and select Personalize. Here, you can see your Smart TV as a second monitor.
Q2. Do I have to reset my PC to resolve the computer that did not recognize the TV issue?
Ans. No, there is no need to factory reset your PC. If none of the troubleshooting methods worked, then you can reset your Smart TV as a last resort.
Q3. What are the different ways to connect a PC to a TV?
Ans. You can connect your computer to the TV using HDMI cable, DVI or VGA, or Wi-Fi. Using Wi-Fi to connect your computer to TV depends on the manufacturer & TV model.
- Fix AirPods Connected But No Sound Issue
- How to Download MyIPTV Player
- How to Use TV as Monitor for Windows 11 PC
- Fix HDMI No Sound in Windows 10 When Connected to TV
We hope our article was helpful and you were able to fix Windows PC won’t connect to TV issue was helpful to you. In case, you have any suggestions or queries regarding this article, feel free to reach out to us in the comment section below.