The keyboards are extremely essential to use any device you use to write on, like desktop, laptop, smartphones, etc. Every key present on the keyboard has distinct function users can use to perform certain actions. And one of the keys present on the keyboard is the Home keyboard button. Regular keyboard users may know the functionality of this button. But the other new keyboard users would want to learn about it to use it for the better. If you know a little or nothing about the Home button on a keyboard, read this article till the end to know everything in detail.
What is Home Button on a Keyboard?
The Home button has different functions for different operating systems. Two of the most commonly used OS around the world are Windows OS and macOS. Read the following points to learn the home keyboard button functions for these two operating systems.
1. Windows Keyboard
The Home button on the keyboard for Windows OS is used for these functions:
- If you are in a text file that is not editable, like in PDF or webpage, the Home button will take you to the top of the document or page.
- If you are in an editable text file or page, the Home button will take the cursor to the start of the same line.
Note: Use Ctrl + Home keys simultaneously to reach the top of the editable document or page.
- You can also use the Shift + Home keys simultaneously to highlight all the text in the same line before the cursor.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Home keys together to highlight all the text till the start of the document or page.
For the Linux users, the Home key and above mentioned key combination functions remain the same.
2. Mac Keyboard
The Home button on full-sized macOS based keyboards can be functional in the following ways:
- Press the Home button to move to the start of the text document or page without moving the cursor.
- On the Apple keyboards with no Home button, users can press the Fn + Left arrow keys togetherto get to the top of the document or page.
- Press the Command + Left arrow keys combination to move the cursor to the top of the editable text document or page.
Also Read: How to Fix Windows Key Disabled
Where is Home Button on a Keyboard?
This Home button is found in different locations on the different types of keyboards. Now, let us see where you can find it.
1. On Windows Standard Keyboard
The Home button can be found in two different locations on the standard Windows keyboard.
- It is located above the navigation keys with some other keys, like Insert, Page Up, Delete, End, and Page Down.
- It is also located on the Numeric keypad. The Home button in the Numeric keypad can be used to type the number 7 when the Num Lock is on.
2. On Windows Laptop Keyboard
As the Windows laptop keyboards are almost similar, the Home key placement makes the difference. On the laptop, it is only present in the Numeric keypad with dual functionality discussed in the above point.
Also Read: Fix keyboard Input lag in Windows 10
3. On Mac Keyboard
The Home button is present in only some of the macOS-based keyboards.
- In the full-sized Mac keyboards, it is present on the rightmost side.
- If your Mac keyboard does not have a dedicated button, press the Fn + Left arrow keys together to perform the similar functionality as the Windows Home button.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Can I use the Home button in the Microsoft Word app?
Ans: Yes, Microsoft Word is a word processing software that allows document editing. You can use the Home button in any Word document to move the cursor at the beginning of the sentence and the Ctrl + Home button combination to take the cursor to the very first word in the document.
Q2. Why there is no Home button on my Mac keyboard?
Ans: The Home button is only available on the full-sized Mac keyboards. If you have a MacBook laptop, you will not be able to use the dedicated Home button as it is not on it. So, if you want to use the similar Home button functionality on it, press the Fn + Left arrow keys simultaneously to perform the action.
- 17 Best Mobile Testing Tools
- Which is Better Between Discord vs TeamSpeak?
- What are Google Meet Codes?
- How Many Types of Keys on a Computer Keyboard
This is what home button on a keyboard is all about. You can drop your queries regarding this article in the comments section below. Also, use the same space to tell us what topic you would want us to cover in the next article.