Owing to the popularity of the game and the features, the Fallout 3 game has been one of the games loved by Gamers. To make this even more interesting, many users have used the Fallout Mod Manager or FOMM to alter the game code. An error that disturbs the coding is Fallout Mod Manager unable to get write permissions. In this case, the user may not be able to write or alter the code of the game in the FOMM. This article explains the methods to fix the error message, unable to get write permissions for Fallout 3.
Table of Contents
How to Fix Unable to Get Write Permissions for Fallout 3
Below we have listed the troubleshooting steps to fix Fallout mod manager unable to get write permissions for Fallout 3 game.
Method 1: Run FOMM as Administrator
The first method to fix the issue is to grant administrative privileges to the FOMM or Fallout Mod Manager app.
1. Open Desktop by pressing the Windows + D keys simultaneously.
2. Right-click on the Fallout Mod Manager Shortcut icon, and click on the Properties option.
3. Move to the Compatibility tab, tick the option Run this program as an administrator in the Settings section.
4. Then, click on Apply followed by the OK buttons.
Method 2: Disable UAC Prompt (Not Recommended)
If you can access the Fallout Mod Manager but the error message is preventing you from altering the games, you can try disabling the UAC or User Account Control on Windows PC. However, this method is not recommended as it might not give a warning for security breaches.
Also Read: Fix Fallout 3 Ordinal 43 Not Found Error
Method 3: Give Write Permission to User Accounts
If none of the methods work in fixing unable to get write permissions for Fallout 3 issue, you can try providing the write permission to the folder in which the Steam games are stored.
Note: You have to locate the Games folder in the location saved locally.
1. Open Windows Explorer by pressing the Windows + E keys and navigate to the location path given below.
2. Right-click on the My Games folder and click on the Properties option.
3. Navigate to the Security tab and click on the Edit… button in the Group or user names section.
4. Select the user account in the Group or user names section and tick the Write option in the Allow column of the Permission for Users section.
5. Click on Apply and then on the OK button to implement the changes and click on the OK buttons on all other windows.
Also Read: The Ultimate Fallout 3 Crash Guide on Windows 10
Method 4: Reinstall Fallout 3 Game
By default, the games are stored in the location given below:
C:\Program Files (x86)
In this case, the game file may not be easily accessed by the FOMM. You can try moving the folder out of the Program Files folder to fix unable to get write permissions for Fallout 3 issue. For this purpose, you need to reinstall the Fallout 3 game using the Steam app.
Step I: Uninstall Fallout 3 Game
The first step is to uninstall the Fallout 3 game on the Steam app.
1. Press the Windows key, type Steam and click on Open.
2. Go to LIBRARY menu from its homepage.
3. Locate the Fallout 3 game and right-click on it and select the Uninstall option.
4. Again, click on Uninstall to confirm and close the Steam app after uninstalling the game.
Also Read: Fix Fallout 76 Disconnected from Server
Step II: Reinstall Fallout 3 Game
The next step to fix Fallout Mod Manager unable to get write permissions issue is to reinstall the Fallout 3 game and alter the location for saving the game file.
1. Launch the Steam app and search for Fallout 3 and select the game as highlighted in the pic below.
2. Here, click on Play Game option to download the game.
3. Finally, choose location for install and click on the Next > button to install the game.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What is FOMM or Fallout Mod Manager?
Ans. The Fallout Mod Manager is software used to modify the codes of the Fallout 3 game and other versions.
Q2. Is Fallout 3 Game Free?
Ans. No, The Fallout 3 game is a paid game and can be purchased on the Steam Client.
- 6 Ways to Fix Seagate External Hard Drive Beeping and Not Recognized
- Fix Generation Zero Not Loading in Windows 10
- The Ultimate Fallout 3 Mods List
- 30 Best Fallout 3 Mods for Enhanced Gameplay
The article discusses the methods to fix unable to get write permissions for Fallout 3. Let us know which of these methods helped fix Fallout Mod Manager unable to get write permissions issue. Use the comments section to share your suggestions and queries on what you want to learn about next.