Fallout 76 is a popular multiplayer role-playing action game that Bethesda Studios released in 2018. The game is available on Windows PC, Xbox One, and Play Station 4 and if you like Fallout series games then, you will enjoy playing it. However, many players have reported that when they tried to launch the game on their computer, they got Fallout 76 disconnected from server error. Bethesda Studios claimed that the issue had occurred because of an overloaded server. It was most probably, caused by numerous players trying to access it at the same time. If you are also facing the same issue, there might be a problem with your PC settings or internet connection. We bring to you a perfect guide that will teach you to fix Fallout 76 disconnected from server error. So, continue reading!
- How to Fix Fallout 76 Disconnected from Server
- Method 1: Restart/Reset your Router
- Method 2: Reset Windows Sockets to fix Fallout 76
- Method 3: Close Apps that Utilize Network Bandwidth
- Method 4: Update Network Drivers
- Method 5: Perform DNS Flush and IP Renew
- Method 6: Change DNS Server to fix Fallout 76 disconnected from Server
How to Fix Fallout 76 Disconnected from Server
Fortunately, numerous methods are there that can fix Fallout 76 disconnected from server error on PC. But, before implementing any troubleshooting solutions, it would be best to check if the Fallout server is facing an outage. Follow the steps given below to check for any server outages.
2. You can also check the official website for any update announcements.
3. Search for fan pages like Fallout News or chat groups that share the news and information related to the game to find out if other users are also facing similar issues.
If the Fallout 76 servers are facing an outage then, wait till the server comes back online and then continue to play the game. If the servers are working fine then, below are few effective methods to fix Fallout 76 disconnected from server error.
Note: The solutions mentioned in this article pertain to the Fallout 76 game on Windows 10 PC.
Method 1: Restart/Reset your Router
It is quite possible that an unstable or improper network connection may be the answer to why Fallout 76 disconnected from server error occurs while launching the game. Hence, follow the steps listed below to restart or reset your router.
1. Turn off and Unplug your router from the wall socket.
2. Plug it back in after 60 seconds.
3. Then, switch it on and wait for the indicator lights for the internet to blink.
4. Now, connect your WiFi and launch the game.
Check if Fallout 76 disconnected from server error is rectified. If the error is shown again then, continue to the next step to reset your router.
5. To reset your router, press the Reset/RST button on your router for few seconds and try the above steps again.
Note: After Reset, the router will switch back to its default settings and authentication password.
Method 2: Reset Windows Sockets to fix Fallout 76
Winsock is a Windows program that manages the data on your PC which is utilized by the programs for Internet access. Therefore, an error in the Winsock application might be causing Fallout 76 disconnected from server error. Follow the steps below to reset Winsock and potentially fix this issue.
1. Type Command Prompt in the Windows search bar. Choose Run as administrator, as shown below.
2. Next, type netsh winsock reset command in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter key to run the command.
3. After the command has run successfully, Restart your PC.
Now, launch the game and see if you could fix Fallout 76 disconnected from server error. If you error remains, then you need to close all other applications on your PC which are using up the internet bandwidth, as explained below.
Also Read: How to Run Fallout 3 on Windows 10?
Method 3: Close Apps that Utilize Network Bandwidth
There are various applications running on your computer background. Those background apps on your computer may use the network bandwidth. This is possibly another reason for Fallout 76 disconnected from server error. So, closing those unwanted background apps may fix this error. Applications like OneDrive, iCloud, and streaming websites like Netflix, YouTube, and Dropbox may utilize a lot of bandwidth. Here is how to close unwanted background processes to make additional bandwidth available for gaming.
1. Type Task Manager in the Windows search bar, as shown, and launch it from the search result.
2. In the Processes tab, under the Apps section, right-click on an app using your network connection.
3. Then, click on End Task to close the application as shown below.
Note: The image below is an example of closing the Google Chrome app.
4. Repeat the process for other unwanted apps using an internet connection.
Now, launch the game and see if Fallout 76 disconnected from server error is showing or not. If the error is showing again then, you can update your network drivers by following the next method.
Method 4: Update Network Drivers
If the network drivers installed on your Windows desktop/laptop are outdated, then Fallout 76 will have issues connecting to the server. Follow the given steps to update your network drivers.
1. Search for Device Manager in the Windows search bar, hover to Device Manager, and click on Open, as illustrated below.
2. Next, click on the downward arrow next to Network adapters to expand it.
3. Right-click on the network driver and click on Update driver, as shown.
4. In the pop-up window, click on the first option titled Search automatically for drivers, as highlighted below.
5. Windows will automatically install available updates. Restart your PC after installation.
Now, verify that the Fallout 76 game is being launched. If not, try the next method to fix Fallout 76 disconnected from server error.
Also Read: Fix Fallout 4 Mods Not Working
Method 5: Perform DNS Flush and IP Renew
If there are issues pertaining to DNS or IP address on your Windows 10 PC then, it can lead to Fallout 76 disconnected from server issues. Below are the steps to flush DNS and renew IP address to fix Fallout 76 disconnected from server error.
1. Launch Command Prompt as an administrator, as explained in Method 2.
2. Type ipconfig /flushdns in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter to execute the command.
Note: This command is used to flush DNS in Windows 10.
3. Once the above process is complete, type ipconfig /release and press Enter key.
4. Then, type ipconfig/renew and hit Enter to renew your IP.
Now, launch the game and check Fallout 76 disconnected from server error is gone or not. If the error remains then follow the next method given below.
Method 6: Change DNS Server to fix Fallout 76 disconnected from Server
If the DNS (Domain Name System) that your Internet Service Provider (ISP) provides is slow or not configured correctly, it can lead to issues with online games, including Fallout 76 disconnected from server error. Follow the given steps to switch to another DNS server and hopefully, fix this problem.
1. Type Control Panel in the Windows search bar. Click on Open, as depicted below.
2. Set View by option to Category and click on View network status and tasks, as shown.
3. Now, click on the Change adapter settings option at the left sidebar.
4. Next, right-click on your currently active internet connection and select Properties, as highlighted.
5. In the Properties window, double-click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
6. Next, check the options titled Obtain an IP address automatically and Use the following DNS server addresses, as highlighted.
6a. For the Preferred DNS server, enter the Google Public DNS address as: 188.8.131.52
6b. And, In the Alternate DNS server, enter the other Google Public DNS as: 184.108.40.206
7. Lastly, click on OK to save the changes and reboot your system.
- Fix Fallout 3 Ordinal 43 Not Found Error
- Why My Internet Keeps Disconnecting Every Few Minutes?
- Fix Discord Go Live Not Appearing
- Fix Steam Application Load Error 3:0000065432
We hope this guide was helpful and could fix Fallout 76 disconnected from the server error. Do let us know which method worked out for you the best. Also, if you have any comments or suggestions regarding this article, feel free to drop them in the comment section below.