Steam VR is an amazing tool that lets Steam users view and enjoy VR content on Windows or any other compatible device. Steam VR tool can be accessed on HTC Vive, Windows Mixed Reality headset, Oculus Rift, or any other headset or controller that is compatible with it. However, while launching Steam VR on a system, error 306 appears on the screen. This error has affected a lot of users and if you are one of them looking for a quick fix for the issue then you are in the right place. We have a perfect guide for you that will help you with the Steam VR error 306 fix and will also acquaint you with the reasons that cause it.
How to Fix Steam VR Error 306 in Windows 10
Launching Steam VR can result in error 306 which states Steam VR failed to initialize for unknown reasons. This error code can pop up on your screen for various reasons. Some of these causes are briefly described below:
- An Outdated version of the software is one of the prominent reasons that can cause error 306. A headset software update is as important as keeping the software of the application updated. So, keep up with the new version of your GPU.
- Another reason that causes the error is a Connection problem. Make sure that your VR headset is connected to a graphics card port to achieve proper functioning of the headset without error.
- The next cause is an Outdated graphics driver which can cause Steam VR compatibility issues with the system and hence, the error.
- Another reason that has been seen to be the root cause is the beta version of Steam. If users have inadequate knowledge about when to enable and disable the beta version, it can surely cause some issues.
- The last cause behind the error is natural locomotion program which can cause recognition errors on VR headsets.
Now that you are aware of the error and the reasons behind it, now is the time to fix the issue using some efficient methods. But before that, make sure to restart your system and VR headset. This step beforehand can help in fixing bugs and maybe even the error. Now that you have restarted both, start with the methods given below:
The first thing to do when you encounter an error like 306 on Steam VR is to check if your system is compatible with VR. If not then it can be the cause why you are seeing an error on the screen of your system. So, check the requirements as they are mentioned below:
- The minimum requirements for the operating system that are needed include Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1 or later, and Windows 10.
- Processor requirements include Intel Core i5-4590/AMD FX 8350 equivalent or better.
- The next requirement is the memory which needs to be 4 GB RAM.
- Next comes the graphics, minimum requirements for which are NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, AMD Radeon R9 290 equivalent, or better. Whereas recommended requirements are NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, AMD Radeon RX 480 equivalent or better.
- Network requirements are broadband internet connection.
- Additional requirements include 1XUSB 2.0 or never, HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2, or newer.
Method 1: Troubleshoot Cable Connection
As mentioned earlier under causes for error 306, improperly connected cables can also be one of the reasons for this issue. If your VR cable is connected to a secondary HDMI port, you might want to connect them to the primary port to resolve this issue. You can correct the port connection using the steps given below:
1. Disconnect the cables from the secondary port.
2. Now, plug the VR cable into the primary port.
3. Connect the monitor through the graphics card secondary port.
4. Now, close the Steam VR application.
Once all the steps are complete, restart the system and launch Steam VR to check if the error has been resolved.
Method 2: Perform Clean Boot
The last method to Steam VR error 306 is to perform a clean boot on your system if none of the methods have worked for you till now. Performing a clean boot will help your system to resolve any issues with it and restart it with minimal drivers and programs. The clean boot also helps in resolving any compatibility issues that may be present with the software to resolve the error. So, if you are looking forward to this step as your last possible option, then you can check our guide Perform Clean boot in Windows 10 to help you better with the whole process.
Also Read: Fix steam_api64.dll Missing on Windows 10
Method 3: Update Device Drivers
Outdated drivers are another reason for the VR device to show incompatibility issues and thus cause the error. Therefore, updating the drivers not only protects your device from Steam VR error 306 but also helps against viruses of any kind. So, keep a check on your system drivers once in a while. You can manually update them with the help of our guide on how to update Device drivers on Windows 10.
Method 4: Uninstall USB Drivers
In case USB drivers are corrupt on your system, they can cause various errors on your system and interfere with launching Steam VR. Uninstalling these drivers, however, helps a lot in enhancing driver management and eventually helps you with managing error 306. Follow the steps below to know how you can uninstall them:
1. Press the Windows key, type Device Manager and click on Open.
2. Now, locate and open Keyboards.
3. Next, right-click on the driver and select the Uninstall device option.
Once the uninstall is complete, restart your device, and then launch Steam VR to check if the error persists.
Also Read: Fix Steam Keeps Crashing
Method 5: Tweak Steam VR Settings
Another Steam VR error 306 fix is possible by changing and modifying some properties settings of Steam VR. This can be done by selecting beta for VR to opt into. When it does, let Steam VR update it and this will eventually help you to fix the error. Now, you can use the following steps to change Steam VR to beta:
1. Hit the Windows key, type Steam, and click on Open.
2. Select LIBRARY and search for the SteamVR tool.
3. Next, right-click on SteamVR tool and select Properties.
4. Now, go to the BETAS menu.
5. Under Select the beta you would like to opt into section, select the beta – Steam VR Beta Update option.
Now, wait for Steam VR to update and check for error 306.
Method 6: Uninstall Natural Locomotion
Natural locomotion is an application that is quite helpful for playing on VR. For people who feel sick while using a VR device, natural locomotion can be very handy. But using the app can result in error code 306 which is caused due to incompatibility between the driver and Steam VR beta. So, you can try to uninstall natural locomotion and use Motion Smoothing instead with the help of the steps given below:
1. Press the Windows key, type Control Panel, then click on Open.
2. Set View by > Large icons, then select Programs and Features.
3. Right-click on the Natural Locomotion app and select the Uninstall option.
4. Now, open the config folder in the steam directory in File Explorer.
5. Then, delete the locomotion folder from it.
Once it is deleted, open Steam and test Motion Smoothing in it.
Also Read: Fix Steam Content File Locked Error
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Why does Steam VR keep failing to work?
Ans. If you are struggling with Steam VR failing to work, it can be due to corrupt files in the Steam VR applications or files that are missing. Make sure that your Steam VR download is intact.
Q2. Can I reinstall Steam VR?
Ans. Yes, you can reinstall Steam VR by simply right-clicking on the Steam VR application and selecting the uninstall option in it. Then you can reinstall it by accessing Tools in the Steam application.
Q3. Why can’t I connect my VR headset to my PC?
Ans. If you can’t find your VR headset connected to your PC then you must check if your headset is plugged into the dedicated graphics card. Also, ensure that your headset and system software are up-to-date to avoid any issues.
Q4. What kind of headsets can I use with Steam VR?
Ans. Steam VR can make you experience virtual reality with an amazing experience by connecting to the headset of your choice. You can connect HTC Vive, Valve Index, Oculus Rift, Windows Mixed Reality, and others.
Q5. Can I use Steam VR outside of the Steam application?
Ans. Steam VR can be copied for a company’s or government entity’s internal use with the Steam application or the internet connection.
- Fix Unable to Display Current Owner in Windows 10
- Fix Kodi Won’t Open in Windows 10
- How to View Steam Purchasing History
- How to Make Steam Delete Cloud Saves
We hope that our guide helped you in different ways for Steam VR error 306 fix. Let us know which one of the methods helped you with fix Stream VR error 306. You can also leave a comment below with any questions or any recommendations you may have.