Steam is one of the best platforms for buying games, since digitalization is rapidly increasing in today’s society, steam allows for downloading games digitally. Players around the world can buy in the client itself and download the game from the client. Steam allows cloud saves of the game downloaded. This functionality is useful since it is transferrable to different systems using the same Steam account. Steam cloud saves are useful and important but what if they get full, or if they save files that are corrupted. You might be wondering how to make Steam delete cloud saves. Since Steam saves the game settings and the game saves on the cloud itself, then you would want it to remove the cloud data. If you are wondering how to achieve this, then you are at the right place, here I am going to discuss with you How to delete save data on Steam, Let’s get started.
How to Make Steam Delete Cloud Saves
The methods given below must be followed method by method for successful results. Before performing any of these methods on how to make Steam delete cloud saves make sure to perform a backup of the game.
Method 1: Through Steam Cloud Settings
Following are the steps to create the game backup in Steam.
Step I: Backup Games in PC
1. Open Steam and click on the Steam menu in the top-left corner and select Backup and restore games.
2. Click on the Backup currently Installed programs radio button and select the Next > option.
3. Then, click on the checkbox to select the games you want to backup and click on the Next > option.
4. You will see the backup location of the game file, you can change the file location, but it is recommended to leave it as it is.
5. Click on the Next > option.
6. Now, click on the file size drop-down and select DVD and click on Next to start the backup process.
Step II: Remove Game Files from Steam Cloud
1. Launch the Steam client.
2. Right-click on the game (e.g. METAL GEAR SOLID GEAR V) you want to delete from the steam cloud save.
3. Select the Properties… option and go to GENERAL tab.
4. Now, uncheck the Keep games saves in the steam cloud option, this will delete any remaining save the file in the cloud
Also Read: How to Disable Steam Overlay in Windows 10
Method 2: Through Windows PowerShell
1. Press the Windows key, type Steam and hit the Enter key.
2. Click on the Steam option in the top-left corner of the window.
3. Now, select the Settings option.
4. Click on the Cloud tab and check the enable Steam synchronization option.
5. Then, open Steam and click on LIBRARY > Home. You can now view the list of installed games on your system.
6. Right-click on the game you want to delete cloud saves for and click on the Properties… option.
7. Then, select the UPDATES tab.
8. Note the App ID in the UPDATES tab and exit the Steam app.
9. Now, press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys simultaneously to open Task Manager.
10. In the Processes tab, search for Steam process, right-click on it and select the End task option.
11. Next, open File Explorer and navigate to your Steam folder. The default folder will be;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam
12. Here, double-click on the userdata folder.
13. Now, find your game by looking for the App ID you have noted before, i.e. App ID: 238320
14. Then, select the remote folder.
15. Press the Shift key and right-click on the remote folder.
16. Click on the Open in Terminal option.
17. Now, double-click on the remote folder.
18. Here, copy the location path from the address bar.
19. Next, in the Windows PowerShell, type the following command. Paste the address between the quote in the given command and hit Enter key.
clc –path “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\891193360\238320\remote\*”
Note: The asterisk at the end of the address is important for the command to execute.
20. Wait for the command to get executed.
21. If all went well start your game with the internet on, you will no longer load up files from your steam cloud since it has been deleted. This makes the game start from the beginning.
This can solve and make Steam delete cloud saves.
Also Read: Fix Steam Error Code e502 l3 in Windows 10
Method 3: Manually Delete Saved Data
Some game saves are in the game installation folder, use this method when if it is in the installed folder. Here is how to delete save data on Steam manually.
1. Open Steam from the Windows Search menu.
2. Click on Steam > Settings as shown.
3. Now, click on Cloud tab in the left pane and ensure Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for applications which support it option is unchecked as shown highlighted.
After that locate your game where you want to delete the cloud save.
4. Go to LIBRARY > Home, and right-click on the game (e.g. Subnautica)
5. Then, select the Properties… option.
6. Now, select the LOCAL FILES tab.
7. Then, click on the Browse… option to browse to the game installed folder. The game will go to the subnautica folder.
8. Explore the SNAppdata folder where the game is saved.
9. Here, select the SavedGames folder.
10. Finally, delete the folder to delete the saved game files.
Now, When you start the game the steam cloud will only take your empty saves which will effectively delete the steam cloud saves. This is a simple yet good way on How to delete save data on Steam.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Is there a way to disable Steam cloud saves permanently?
Ans. You can disable Steam cloud saves permanently by opening Steam and Clicking on Steam option in the top-left corner and selecting the Settings option. Now, in the Settings tab click on Cloud tab and uncheck enable cloud save.
Q2. Do deleting Steam cloud files bring any problems later on?
Ans. Deleting Steam save files does not corrupt any game files, in case something goes wrong you can always verify game integrity in the Steam application.
Q3. Can I play on different computers using Steam cloud?
Ans. Yes, if the Steam cloud feature is turned on.
- 15 Best Free and Open Source NAS Software
- How Do I Access My Epic Games Account
- Fix Unable to Initialize Steam API in Windows 10
- Fix Steam Game Randomly Uninstalled Itself on Windows 10
We hope that this extensive article was informative and you could know how to make Steam delete cloud saves. If you have any suggestions on improving the article or if you would like to point out any errors please feel free to drop them in the comment section below, Thanks.