PlayStation 5 ,developed by Sony, is a video game console. Since its debut in 2020, this new console has gained recognition for its stunning 4K performance and current-gen experience. Another thing that you will love about it is that its controller can be used to play games on computer. But users have reported PS5 controller not working on PC Fortnite. If you are someone who is struggling with the same issue then you are at the right place. In this guide we will be telling you why doesn’t PS5 controller work on PC and how to fix it. So, keep reading to learn about it.
How to Fix PS5 Controller Not Working on PC
Fortnite is one of the famous online video games. So, many of you must have played it on your computer using DualSense. However, the experience for some of you might not be great because of PS5 controller not working on PC Fortnite. But once you read our guide you will be able to fix it on your own.
Why Doesn’t PS5 Controller Work on PC?
Before we begin with troubleshooting let us answer why doesn’t PS5 controller work on PC:
- The controller is synced with another device.
- Not using official USB cable.
- Damaged USB cables or ports.
- Bluetooth interruption from other devices.
- PS5 controller is not charged.
- Misconfigured steam controller settings.
- Low controller battery
- Outdated system software.
- Issues with PS controller.
Basic Troubleshooting Methods
Now that why doesn’t PS5 controller work on PC is clear to you, let us move forward. Here are some basic troubleshooting methods that might help you in fixing the issue easily with less time and energy consumed.
1. Use Original USB Cable
One of the easiest, effective, and highly recommended method by Sony is to use original USB cable. Instead of relying on cables which came with other devices, it is always advised to use the cable that came with your console for making connections. Follow these steps to connect PS5 controller to computer using official USB cable:
1. First, put one end of the cable into port of your computer.
2. Now, put the other end of the USB cable into your DualSense controller.
3. Wait till the Driver gets installed.
2. Charge PS5 Controller
Charging your controller can also fix PS5 controller not working on PC Fortnite. So, charge it for atleast 30 minutes because only then you will be able to play game on computer. If this does not help you in connecting the PS5 with your PC, move on to the next method.
3. Replace Battery
If charging your PS5 is still not connecting it with a PC or any gaming console, it can be due to a faulty battery. In this case, you can try replacing the old battery with a new one and check if the issue has been resolved.
4. Disconnect Peripheral Hardware
Another fruitful thing you can do to if your PS5 controller is not connecting to PC is disconnect all peripheral hardware. It can be your headphones or headsets.
5. Restart Device
You can also restart your devices to prevent overheating, lagging, and unexpected slowdowns. Moreover, doing so also clears memory and background processes.
Option I: Restart PS5 Console
There is no doubt that a temporary software glitch can also cause issues while you are trying to connect it with a PC. To check whether this is the underlying issue in your case, restart your console and try to connect it again. To restart it:
1. Press the PS5 button.
2. Select Power followed by Restart PS5.
Option II: Restart PC
Another fix for solving the PS5 controller not working is restarting your computer. Because restarting your computer can fix minor glitches that are preventing you from accessing and operating controller on your computer.
1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard.
2. Now, click on Power icon and choose the Restart option.
Method 1: Use Bluetooth for Pairing
It is another method that can use to play games on your laptop using DualSense controller. To pair your PS5 controller to PC, perform the following steps:
1. Press the Windows key, type Bluetooth and other devices settings and click on Open.
2. Turn On your computer Bluetooth.
3. Now press PS button and Share button together on DualSense until the white lights starts flashing.
4. On Bluetooth and other device settings on your computer select Add Bluetooth or other device.
5. Finally, select the Controller to pair it.
Method 2: Remove Sources of Bluetooth Interference
In case your controller is also connected to other devices then turn off the Bluetooth on that devices or shutdown that devices. You can also move your controller close to the computer if you have connected your controller to the PC via Bluetooth.
Method 3: Run Bluetooth Troubleshooter
Windows have inbuilt troubleshooter for Bluetooth. You can try this method by following the simple steps that are mentioned below:
1. Press the Windows + I keys simultaneously to launch the Windows Settings.
2. Choose System and after that, scroll down and click on Troubleshoot.
3. Here, select Other troubleshooters.
4. Now, click on Run for Bluetooth.
5. Finally, choose Close once the troubleshoot gets completed.
Method 4: Update Bluetooth Driver
If you are connecting your PS5 controller wirelessly, you need to ensure that the Bluetooth drivers in your PC are equipped with the latest update. This can also help you with PS5 controller not working on PC. But if you do not know how this works, then you can learn how to update Bluetooth driver by following our guide on How to Fix Bluetooth problems in Windows 10.
Method 5: Configure Steam Controller Settings
If you are playing game using Steam the you can try this method to fix the error:
1. First, connect PS5 controller with PC Bluetooth.
2. Now, press Windows + R keys together to open the Run dialog box.
3. Here, type joy.cpl and click on OK.
4. Again click on OK.
5. Now, open the Steam app on your computer and click on Steam shown on the upper left corner of the screen.
6. Click on the Settings under the Steam.
7. Here, choose Controller and select GENERAL CONTROLLER SETTINGS.
8. Except Generic Gamepad Configuration Support uncheck all the options.
9. Click on the Back given at the bottom.
10. Again, click on the Steam and choose Exit.
Also Read: How to Access PlayStation Plus 14 Day Trial
Method 6: Update PC
If you are still wondering how to fix PS5 controller not working on PC Fortnite then try updating your computer software because sometimes the issue can be from computer side. Updating your computer keep it away from bug and ensure that you can play games on it smoothly. To learn how to update Windows 10 refer our article on How to Download and Install Windows 10 Latest Update.
Method 7: Update PS5 Controller
To update your PS5 controller on your PC, all you have to do is follow the steps listed below:
Note: To do so, you need to connect your controller to the PC using a USB cable or Bluetooth.
1. Press the Windows key, type Device Manager and click on Open.
2. Double-click on Human Interface Devices to expand the drivers.
3. Now, look and right-click on the controller device.
Note: If you cannot find the controller under Human Interface Devices, then look for the controller driver in Universal Serial Bus controllers.
4. Click on Uninstall device.
5. Check the box next to Delete the driver software for this device and click on Uninstall.
6. Unplug the controller from the device.
7. Then, restart the device.
8. Visit the Sony PlayStation update firmware page and click on the Download button.
9. Click on the downloaded installer file to install and run the installer.
10. Click on Yes in the prompt.
11. Select the preferred language and click on OK.
12. Click on Next > in the InstallShield Wizard window.
13. Select the option I accept the terms in the license agreement and click on Next >.
14. Click on Next > in the next window.
15. Click on Install.
16. Select the option Launch Program and click on Finish.
17. Now, re-connect your controller to your PC using a USB cable.
18. Follow the on-screen instructions to update the controller firmware.
Method 8: Repair PS5 Controller
If even after trying all the above-mentioned methods, PS5 controller is still not working on PC Fortnite, we request to get your controller replaced or repaired by Sony.
1. First, open the Repair Request page.
2. Now, choose DualSense under Repairs.
3. Under What is your issue select the issue It’s a pairing issue.
4. Next, choose Let’s proceed.
5. As you have already done the reset so click on I still have the problem.
6. After that, select Request Repair.
7. Now, enter the Serial Number/Barcode and proceed further as per on the screen instructions.
Method 9: Reset Controller
Another effective method you can try for PS5 controller not working on PC is reset your controller. Doing so will reset the controller memory and establish a new connection with your computer. Follow the steps
1. First, disconnect the DualSense contoller from the USB cable.
2. Press the Reset button which is on the backside of the controller for atleast five seconds using unfolded paperclip.
3. Now, reconnect it to your computer after few minutes to play Fortnite.
- 17 Best AirPods App for Android
- How to Fix HBO Max Not Working on PS4 or PS5
- Fix PS5 Blinking White Light Error
- 7 Ways to Fix PlayStation Error Code NP-34957-8
We hope this article was helpful and you were able to PS5 controller not working on PC. If you still have questions, feel free to ask them in the comment section below. Also, let us know what you want to learn next.