We all like multipurpose things, such as PlayStation and Xbox. You can use such consoles to play games, watch movies, play music, and much more. But it may be unpleasant when HBO Max is not working on PS4 or PS5, especially when you have planned a movie date with your partner or live streaming with your friends. Do not worry because we have provided methods to resolve such issues. So, you are at the right place if you watch content online on HBO Max using PS4 or PS5 and cannot stream it. Read our guide until the end to understand why is HBO Max so slow and how to fix HBO Max not working on PS4 or PS5, with or without an update. Let’s begin!
How to Fix HBO Max Not Working on PS4 or PS5
Keep reading further to find the steps explaining how to fix HBO Max not working on PS4 or PS5 in detail with useful illustrations for better understanding. However, before we begin with troubleshooting, let us understand why is HBO Max lagging so much and why HBO Max not working on PS4 or PS5 in the first place.
Why is HBO Max So Slow on PS4? Why HBO Max Not Working on PS4 or PS5?
If HBO Max or any other channels are not working or loading very slowly, the most likely cause would be an interrupted or slow internet connection. As per our research, smooth streaming requires an internet bandwidth of 5 Mbps or more. So, upgrade your plan or contact your Internet Service Provider to rectify glitches with your internet connection. Other reasons why channels or movies won’t load or play properly are listed below:
- If you live in a region where HBO Max is not supported, you cannot access its content.
- If the HBO Max server is facing downtime, you may face the issue.
- You may also face this because of the VPN service that you are currently using.
- You cannot access the content on PS4 or PS5 because your HBO Max and PS4 or PS5 is not updated.
- It could also be due to an incorrect configuration setup on your console.
How to Fix HBO Max Not Working on PS4 or PS5?
Let’s see the methods to fix the HBO Max not working on PS4 or PS5 issue.
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
Before we begin with advanced methods, we suggest you try some basic methods to fix the said issue.
1A. Ensure HBO Availability in Your Region
Unfortunately, HBO Max is not available in all countries. Therefore, you must ensure the same on the official HBO Max website. If your location is listed on the page, HBO Max is not supported in your area. The geo-restricted users will see the given message prompt: Sorry, HBO MAX isn’t available in your region yet, as depicted below.
1B. Switch Between Content
You can also try watching another show or movie on HBO Max as that particular show/movie might be creating problems from the server end.
1C. Wait for HBO Max Server Uptime
All you need to do is to check the status of the HBO Max server. For this, you can visit the Downdetector HBO Max status page. This website provides the current status of the servers of many applications.
If it indeed is down, there’s nothing that you can do, except wait.
Also Read: 10 Ways to Fix HBO Max Error code 321
1D. Troubleshoot Internet Connection
You can restart the router or modem, or try to improve internet connectivity & then reconnect to your console. For that, you can read out guide on Slow Internet Connection? 10 Ways to Speed up your Internet! and learn the effective ways to speed up your internet.
Or, you can use an ethernet cable to ensure you are connected to strong network and not interrupted due to other frequencies. Let’s see the steps to set up internet connection on your PS4 using a LAN cable.
1. Select Settings > Network from PS4 menu, as shown.
2. Select the Set Up Internet Connection option.
3. Then, choose the Use a LAN Cable option & continue to set it up.
Method 2: Restart Console
A simple restart is a great way to give your device a fresh start. This can potentially solve the issue.
Option I: Restart PS4
1. Open the PS4 Home menu and select the Power icon tab.
2. Choose Power Options.
3. Now, select the Restart PS4 option using O or X button on your controller.
Option II: Restart PS5
1. On Dual Sense Controller, press the Options button to access the Control Center.
2. Now, go to the Power Options tab.
3. Select the Restart PS5 option by pressing the O or X button.
Method 3: Disable VPN
To disable the VPN, follow the steps mentioned below:
1. First, open your router gateway using any web browser.
Note: It’s either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2. Alternatively, read our guide on How to Find My Router’s IP Address? to find out more.
2. Log in with your credentials, as illustrated below.
3. Go to Settings > Internet on your router webpage. Remove VPN using their user guide to disable it.
After that, reconnect to the Wi-Fi router & try streaming on HBO Max again. If you continue facing the said error, we recommend our guide How to Fix PS4 WiFi Proxy Server Error.
Method 4: Re-Login to HBO Max
Another method to fix HBO Max not working on PS4 or PS5 is to re-login into the HBO Max account as follows:
1. Launch the HBO Max app on your PS4.
2. Go to the Profile icon.
3. Now, select the Manage Devices option.
4. After that, locate your console in the Other Devices section and select the X icon to remove the device.
5. Now, reconnect the device, Log in with your account credentials, and begin streaming.
It is important that both your device as well as the problematic app are updated as different versions of apps might not work smoothly with different versions of the operating systems and vice versa. Hence, in the following methods, we shall do the same.
Also Read: How to Fix HBO Max Not Working on iPhone
Method 5: Update HBO Max App
If you use PS5, the console automatically updates the apps installed in its system thus eliminating the need to update it manually.
For HBO Max PS4 update, follow the steps listed below:
1. Go to the PS4 home screen and locate the HBO Max app.
2. Now, press the Options button from the controller to access the side menu.
3. Select Check for Update.
4A. After that, press the O or X button to confirm the installation of the available update.
4B. If the game is up-to-date, it will display that The installed application is the latest version.
Method 6: Update PS4 or PS5 System Software
HBO Max PS4 update is another method to fix HBO Max Not Working on PS4 or PS5. Follow the steps below to do so:
1. From the home menu of PS4 or PS5, open Settings.
2. After that, select the System Software Update and Settings option, as depicted below.
3. Now, follow the onscreen instructions and wait until the update is installed.
Also Read: Why is HBO Max Not Working on My Computer?
Method 7: Reinstall HBO Max App
Another easy method to fix the issue is to reinstall the HBO Max app. Follow the steps listed below to perform the same:
1. First, from the Library, locate & select the HBO Max app.
2. Press the Options button on your controller.
3. Now, highlight Delete and press X or O button on the controller to confirm the action.
4. Now, navigate to the PlayStation Store and select the Search option from the top.
5. Select the HBO Max app from the results.
5. Choose Download or Purchase as the case may be & install the same.
Method 8: Reset PS4 or PS5 Console
If the above methods cannot fix HBO Max not working problem, you are only left with the option to reset your console.
1. First, navigate to Settings on your PS4/PS5.
2. Now, select the Initialization option from the menu.
3. Select the Full option from the Initialize PS4 menu.
4. Confirm your choice by choosing the Initialize option, as shown.
5. Lastly, select the Yes option to begin the Initialization process.
Note: It may take hours to reset your console.
Now, wait for the process to complete and check if the issue has been resolved.
Also Read: Fix HBO Max Not Working on Roku
Method 9: Contact HBO Customer Support
If none of the methods mentioned above fixed the issue, we suggest you visit the Help Center and contact HBO Max customer support. Please provide them with the details of the problem, including the screenshot of the error. Also, mention the device name to get the problem resolved at the earliest.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What is better PS4 or PS5?
Ans. PS5 is better than PS4 because it possesses evident & welcoming upgrades over PS4 such as enhanced graphics & loading speed.
Q2. Why is my HBO Max not letting me play anything? Why isn’t my HBO Max working on PS5?
Ans. You can face this issue because of a poor internet connection or server downtime. You can read the solutions listed above if you cannot stream HBO Max on PSN console.
Q3. Can HBO Max play on PS4?
Ans. Yes, you can certainly play HBO Max on PS4. You can watch HBO & several other channels on PS4 as well as PS5.
- Should I Turn Off Optimized Battery Charging?
- Fix Halo Infinite Voice Chat Not Working
- Top 10 Ways to Fix HBO Max Stuck on Loading Screen
- Can You Get HBO Max on Your Xbox One?
So, we hope you have understood how to fix HBO Max not working on PS4 or PS5 with the detailed methods to your aid, including the HBO Max PS4 update. You can let us know any queries or suggestions about any other topic you want us to make an article on. Drop them in the comments section below for us to know.