Youtube is presently the largest online streaming platform. Gamers, tech reviewers, news organizations, and content providers upload their videos daily on YouTube. You can subscribe to a channel and comment and like their videos. But, to do this you must login with your Google account. However, if you get Oops something went wrong on Youtube error while logging in to your account or playing videos then, do not worry! We have a perfect guide for you to fix this something went wrong YouTube PC issue. Read to know how to fix this error.
Fix Oops Something Went Wrong on YouTube Error on Windows 10
When you browse through YouTube and try to play videos or log in to your Google account, you may face this something went wrong YouTube issue in your Windows 10 PC. This error may be due to various reasons. Some of them are listed below;
- Corrupt Browser Cache and Cookies
- Outdated Web Browser
- Incorrect Proxy Settings
- Google Account Security Issue
- Unsupported Browser Extensions
In this article, we have compiled all the possible methods to fix Oops something went wrong Youtube error. So, follow the methods given below step by step.
Method 1: Refresh Google sign-in page
Reload the Google account login page to get rid of the oops something went wrong message. Especially if you tried to sign in after the page had been inactive for a long period or if your Internet connection had abruptly vanished. You can refresh a page Chrome tab through four different ways. They are listed below.
1A. In the browser, press the F5 key to refresh.
1B. Hold down Ctrl + R keys simultaneously.
1C. Click on the Refresh icon in the address bar as highlighted in the pic below.
1D. Right-click an empty area of your web browser and select Reload option from the context menu.
Sometimes, just reloading the page may fix something went wrong YouTube PC error. So, follow any one of the above ways to refresh the page.
Method 2: Clear Browser Cache
Due to cached data, your web browser may have problems logging you into your Google account. If YouTube and other websites aren’t working correctly in your browser, try clearing your browsing data. After that, you shouldn’t have any problem signing in to YouTube.
Option 1: For Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome and click on the three-dotted icon > More tools > Clear browsing data… as illustrated below.
2. Check the following options.
- Cookies and other site data
- Cached images and files
3. Now, choose the All time option for Time range.
4. Finally, click on Clear data.
Check if something went wrong YouTube PC error is solved or not.
Also Read: Fix YouTube Videos Not Playing
Option 2: For Firefox
1. Open the Firefox browser.
2. In the top-right corner, click on the hamburger icon.
3. Here, select the Settings option from the drop-down list as shown.
4. Now, navigate to the Privacy & Security section in the left pane
5. Scroll down to the Cookies and Site Data section and click on Clear Data… option as shown in the pic below.
6. Here, uncheck the Cookies and Site Data box and make sure you check the Cached Web Content box, as shown below.
Note: Unchecking Cookies and Site Data will clear all cookies and site data stored by Firefox, sign you out of websites, and remove offline web content. Whereas clearing Cached Web Content will not affect your logins.
7. Finally, click on the Clear button to clear the Firefox cached cookies.
8. Then, click on the Manage Data… button.
9. Type the site name in the Search websites field whose cookies you want to remove.
10A. Select the websites and click on Remove Selected to remove only the selected items.
10B. Alternatively, select Remove All to remove all cookies and storage data.
11. Finally, click on the Save Changes button.
12. Close the browser and reboot your PC, check if you face something went wrong YouTube PC error again.
Option 3: For Microsoft Edge
1. Launch the Microsoft Edge browser.
2. In the top-right corner, click on 3 horizontal dots icon.
3. Then, click on Settings.
4. Go to the Privacy, search, and services tab on the left pane.
5. Under the Clear browsing data section, Click on Choose what to clear every time you close the browser option.
6. Switch On the toggle for the following options:
- Browsing history
- Download history
- Cookies and other site data
- Cached images and files
Now, check if something went wrong YouTube PC error persists or not.
Also Read: How to Disable Microsoft Edge in Windows 11
Method 3: Remove Extensions
If YouTube works correctly in Incognito mode, the problem is almost certainly caused by a browser extension. Having too many extensions loaded in Google Chrome that control various browser settings can have a major influence on Google account login, resulting in errors like this. Remove all unnecessary Chrome extensions before attempting to log in to your Google account on YouTube.
1. Launch Google Chrome and click on the three-dots icon.
2. Go to More tools and click on Extensions
3. Now, click on the Remove button for the extension (e.g. Safe Torrent Scanner) which is not from a trusted source.
Method 4: Change Proxy Settings
Faking your IP address may affect YouTube if your web browser is set to utilize a proxy server while establishing an Internet connection, which is why you keep getting this oops something went wrong YouTube error. As a result, double-checking and validating your proxy settings is a smart idea. If you’re unsure, it’s best to turn off your proxy entirely.
Option 1: For Google Chrome & Microsoft Edge
1. Press the Windows + X keys simultaneously and select Network Connections.
2. On the left pane, click on Proxy menu.
3. Switch Off the toggle to Automatically detect settings
4. And, switch On the toggle for the Use setup script option.
5. Then, under the Manual proxy setup section, switch Off the toggle for Use a proxy server option.
6. Finally, close the window and go to Youtube to check if the issue persists or not.
Option 2: For Firefox
1. Go to Firefox Settings as shown previously.
2. Here, in the General tab, scroll down to Network Settings.
3. Under the Network Settings section, click on the Settings… button.
4. Select either of the following two options.
- No proxy
- Use system proxy settings
5. Click on OK to save changes.
After changing the proxy settings, something went wrong YouTube PC error will be solved.
Also Read: How to Fix Firefox Not Playing Videos
Method 5: Use Public DNS servers
If your ISP has assigned you an automated DNS configuration, it may take too long for your DNS requests to be processed, resulting in browser performance difficulties and the Ooops! Something went wrong with YouTube. Custom DNS servers can be configured on your operating system, which will affect any Internet-connected programs, including Chrome or any web browser you’re trying to use for YouTube. You may also utilize the Google Public DNS servers.
Note: You must make sure that you’re logged in as an administrator before performing the given steps.
1. Open Network Connections settings from the Windows Power menu.
2. In the Status tab, click on Change adapter options under Advanced network settings
3. Right-click on your Internet connection and select the Properties option.
4. Check the box for Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
5. Then, click on Properties.
6. Select Use the following DNS server addresses option.
7. In the Preferred DNS server: type 184.108.40.206
8. And, set the Alternate DNS server: to 220.127.116.11.
9. Click on OK to apply changes.
Method 6: Remove Harmful Software from Chrome
The Google sign-in procedure on YouTube may be affected if your operating system is infected with a virus that threatens your Internet connections. Chrome, on the other hand, includes an inbuilt capability that can detect and remove malicious malware from your machine. It also looks for any faulty system settings that may be obstructing your surfing experience.
So, follow the given steps listed below to remove harmful software from Chrome to fix oops something went wrong YouTube error.
1. Launch Google Chrome and click on three-dotted icon > Settings as shown highlighted.
2. Here, click on the Advanced setting in the left pane and select Reset and clean up option.
3. Now, select the Cleanup computer option as depicted below.
4. Here, click on the Find button to enable Chrome to find harmful software on your computer.
5. Wait for the process to be completed and remove the harmful programs detected by Google Chrome.
6. Reboot your PC and check if the issue is resolved.
Also Read: Fix Chrome Blocking Download Issue
Method 7: Manage Google Devices
As a security measure, YouTube may have trouble signing you into Google if you’re logged in to too many devices. To remedy this, you need to uninstall Google from all unknown and no longer used devices. This will fix oops something went wrong YouTube error. So, follow the given steps to manage your Google Devices.
1. Sign in and go to your Google Account page
2. On the left pane, click on Security.
3. Select Manage devices under the Your devices section.
4. Examine the devices on which your Google account is not active.
5. Here, click the three-dots icon on the top-right corner for a device and choose Sign out
6. Finally, click on the Sign-out button to confirm.
If you don’t recognize a device from which you’ve already signed out, you should change your Google password since someone else may know it and use it to sign back in. Then, attempt to log in to YouTube to check if something went wrong YouTube PC error is fixed or not.
Method 8: Review Google Account Security Settings
Perhaps you didn’t provide Google with too much personal data when you started your account. Or it’s been too long since you checked your Google security settings. Whatever the situation may be, Google has the right to lock you out of YouTube until you upgrade your account security features. So, you should review your Google account security settings to fix oops something went wrong YouTube error.
1. Go to your Google Account Security menu as shown in Method 7.
2. If there are any security recommendations shown, click Protect your account option.
3. Perform all the recommended actions in Security Checkup which has a yellow exclamation logo.
Also Read: What is Google Chrome Elevation Service
Method 9: Update Windows
An outdated Operating System can create lots of bugs and issues in the system. This can also cause oops something went wrong YouTube error while browsing. So, follow these steps to update Windows.
1. Press Windows + I keys simultaneously to launch Settings.
2. Click on the Update & Security tile, as shown.
3. In the Windows Update tab, click on Check for updates button.
4A. If a new update is available, then click Install Now and follow the instructions to update.
4B. Otherwise, if the Windows is up-to-date, then it will show You’re up to date message.
Method 10: Update Web Browser
It’s no surprise if you’re having account login troubles and getting errors if your web browser hasn’t been updated in a long time and you keep putting off this occurrence. You might get something went wrong YouTube Network Error 503 or update error. Make sure you’re using the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or whichever browser you’re using, then restart the app and try again to sign in to YouTube.
Option 1: Update Google Chrome
1. Hit the Windows key, type chrome, and click on Open.
2. Click on the three-dotted icon.
3. Then, hover to the Help option.
4. Click on the About Google Chrome option.
5. Wait for Google Chrome to search for updates. The screen will display the Checking for updates message, as shown.
6A. If updates are available, click on the Update button.
6B. If Chrome is already updated then, Google Chrome is up to date message will be displayed.
Check if Oops something went wrong YouTube error is showing again or not.
Also Read: How to Fix YouTube Comments Not Loading
Option 2: Update Firefox
1. Press the Windows key, type firefox, and click on Open.
2. Click on the hamburger icon on the top right corner.
3. Select the Help option.
4. Now, Click on About Firefox.
5A. If there are any pending updates you can install them by clicking on Update.
5B. Else, you may receive the message stating Firefox is up to date.
Now, you can check if Oops something went wrong YouTube issue persists or not.
Option 3: Update Microsoft Edge
1. Click on Start, type Microsoft Edge, and hit the Enter key.
2. In the top-right corner, click on the three-horizontal dots icon.
3. Then, select the Help and feedback option.
4. Now, select About Microsoft Edge option.
5A. Edge will immediately check for updates and urge you to click on Restart if an update is found.
5B. If the browser is updated then, you will receive the message stating Microsoft Edge is up to date.
Now, check if something went wrong YouTube update error is fixed or not.
Also Read: How to download YouTube videos on Laptop/PC
Method 11: Reset Chrome
If you have too many options enabled in Google Chrome, you may have changed some important settings that are now creating synchronization issues in your browser. As a consequence, YouTube is unable to log you in and displays this message. To resolve Oops something went wrong YouTube issue, just restore Chrome’s original settings.
1. Navigate to Google Chrome and click on the three-dots icon, then select Settings.
2. Click on the Advanced option on the left pane.
3. Then, click on the Reset and clean up option from the list.
4. Now, select Restore settings to their original defaults.
5. Finally, confirm your action by clicking on the Reset Settings button.
Also Read: Fix Family Sharing YouTube TV Not Working
Method 12: Reinstall Chrome
If none of the settings above helped try to reinstall your web browser.
1. Hit the Windows key, type apps and features, and click on Open.
2. Search for Chrome in Search this list field.
3. Then, select Chrome and click on the Uninstall button shown highlighted.
4. Again, click on Uninstall to confirm.
5. Now, press the Windows key, type %localappdata%, and click on Open to go to AppData Local folder.
6. Open the Google folder by double-clicking on it.
7. Right-click on the Chrome folder and select the Delete option as depicted below.
8. Again, hit the Windows key, type %appdata%, and click on Open to go to AppData Roaming folder.
9. Again, go to the Google folder and delete the Chrome folder as shown in steps 6 – 7.
10. Finally, restart your PC.
11. Next, download the latest version of Google Chrome as shown.
12. Run the setup file and follow the on-screen instructions to install Chrome.
Pro Tip: Use Google Chrome
To access your Google account and get rid of this message, switch to Google Chrome. Some users may believe it is unjust. Because Google owns both YouTube and Chrome, it’s fair to infer that the sign-in error is the result of a desync issue. After you install Chrome and login in with your Google account, the sync issue should be resolved, and you should be able to sign into YouTube right away.
- 16 Best Ad Blocking Extension for Chrome
- 14 Ways to Fix Chrome Profile Error
- How to Fix Firefox Not Loading Pages
- Fix Oops Something Went Wrong YouTube App
We hope you found this information useful and were able to fix Oops something went wrong YouTube. Let us know which strategy was the most effective for you. Also, if you have any queries/suggestions regarding this article, then feel free to drop them in the comments section.