The new yet nostalgic OG season was launched to bring back the classic map and elements from its earlier seasons. However, it shattered a number of hearts when Fortnite OG was found not working on PC after the new update. Gamers are unable to find a fix for it, neither from Epic Games nor on Steam. Fortunately, you need not miss this chance to relive the old-is-gold experience; simply follow our troubleshooting guide to fix game not launching issue.
Fortnite OG Not Launching on PC – Why? How to Fix
Fortnite’s OG season gives players a chance to recall the iconic locations, weapons, and events of the battle royale mode that shaped the humble beginnings of the game and propelled it to unprecedented popularity. As stated by the developers on the official Fortnite news page, the game will receive regular updates and each one will bring features from the old Battle Royale mode.
Run Fortnite in administrative mode to fix this issue. If that does not help, verify the game files following the steps below:
1. Open the Epic Games Launcher and move to the Library tab.
2. Search for Fortnite and click on the three dots icon next to it.
3. Click on Manage and then select Verify.
Unfortunately, it’s a bummer that after the new update, Fortnite is not working and you are not able to play it. The following could be the possible reasons:
- Poor Internet Connectivity
- Server Downtime Issues
- Corrupt Game Files
- Corrupt EasyAntiCheat
- Use of VPN of Proxy
Tip: Make sure to verify that your PC fulfills the minimum system requirements to run Fortnite. Also, disconnect any active VPN or Proxy service on the PC.
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
We’ll start with some easy solutions that could potentially fix the issue in almost no time. If they do not help, you can move to the complex ones.
Method 1.1: Restart Fortnite, then PC
Often such issues are caused by minor temporary glitches. All you need is to exit the game and the launcher, restart the PC, and then launch the game.
Method 1.2: Wait for Server Uptime
Fortnite servers in your region may be currently experiencing downtime issues or undergoing maintenance. This could be the reason why the game files aren’t loading up. Head to the Epic Games server status page and check if Fortnite servers are Operational. In case it is not, wait until they fix it.
Method 1.3: Close Background Applications
Unused applications even when open in the background, consume system resources such as CPU, GPU, Memory, and Network. As a result, demanding games such as Fortnite do not get enough bandwidth required for it to launch smoothly. Refer to our guide on How to End Task in Windows 10 to close all background programs.
Method 1.4: Run Launcher as Administrator
Occasionally, Windows blocks the game from running due to the lack of permissions to access your PC. Moreover, some applications may require enhanced administrative credentials to function smoothly. Hence, you can run the Epic Games launcher or Steam as an administrator and then launch Fortnite on it.
1. Right-click on the Epic Games Launcher or Steam shortcut on the desktop.
2. Select Properties from the context menu.
3. Move to the Compatibility tab and checkmark the Run this program as an administrator option.
4. Click on Apply and OK to save the settings.
Now launch the launcher and then Fortnite to check if the issue is resolved.
Method 1.5: Troubleshoot Internet Connectivity
Various disruptions can occur in all your online activities, including lags and launching errors in games such as Fortnite OG on your PC due to weak & unstable internet connectivity. You can fix the same with the help of our guide on Slow Internet Connection? 10 Ways to Speed up your Internet!.
Method 2: Change Matchmaking Region to Auto
In case there are issues with the Fortnite server in your region or you are just facing high latency due to which the game is not working smoothly, we suggest you follow he steps and set the matchmaking region to Auto.
1. Launch Fortnite and click on Battle Royale, followed by the Menu (three horizontal lines) icon at the top right.
2. Click on the Settings (gear) icon, followed by the gear icon again to move to the Game tab.
3. Under LANGUAGE AND REGION, choose AUTO for MATCHMAKING REGION.
Note: The hashtags denote the ping. The lower the ping, the faster the connection.
Method 3: Verify Game Files
Damaged, corrupt, or missing Fortnite OG game files could be the reason why it is not launching on your PC and you can fix the same by verifying their integrity. Doing so checks the files thoroughly and then changes or repairs them as required.
1. Open the Epic Games Launcher and go to the Library tab.
2. Find Fortnite, click on the three dots icon next to it, and select Manage from the context menu.
3. Click on VERIFY next to Verify Files.
Wait until the files are verified. Once done, relaunch the launcher and start the game.
If you play Fortnite on Steam as you can follow our guide to Verify Integrity of Game Files on Steam for the same.
Method 4: Update GPU Drivers
GPU drivers have a significant impact on the performance and stability of graphic-intensive games such as Fortnite. Hence, it is important to keep them updated to address issues such as bugs, crashes, or freezing issues. Follow our guide on How to Update Graphics Drivers in Windows 11.
Method 5: Set Lower Graphics Settings
While your PC may meet the minimum system requirements for playing Fortnite, you still might encounter launching or working issues after the new update if the system is not compatible enough to run the game in high graphics settings. Hence, we suggest you adjust the video and graphics settings before starting the game. Here are some suggestions:
- RESOLUTION: Depending upon what the monitor supports
- FRAME RATE LIMIT: Usually 60Hz, more if the monitor supports
- QUALITY PRESET: LOW
- 3D RESOLUTION: 100%
- VIEW DISTANCE: MEDIUM
- SHADOWS: OFF
- ANTI-ALIASING: FXAA
- TEXTURE: LESS
- EFFECTS: LESS
- POST PROCESSING: OFF
Also Read: How to Get V-Bucks for Free in Fortnite
Method 6: Change Compatibility Mode
Sometimes it is the compatibility issues that may be why Fortnite OG is not working after the new update on Steam and Epic Games launcher. You can adjust the mode to fix this issue. Follow the steps:
1. Open the Epic Games Launcher, go to Fortnite, and click on the three dots next to it.
2. Select Manage from the context menu.
3. Click on the Open Install Location icon in the Installation tab.
4. Now follow the address: Fortnite > FortniteGame > Binaries > Win64.
5. Scroll down and find 4 files with Fortnite icons. Right-click on each file and select Properties from the context menu.
6. Move to the Compatibility tab expand the Run this program in compatibility mode for drop-down menu, and select Windows 8.
7. Tick the checkbox next to Disable fullscreen optimization.
8. Finally click on Apply and then OK.
Method 7: Repair EasyAntiCheat
EasyAntiCheat or EAC developed by Epic Games is designed to block the usage of cheat codes in the game. However, the same might cause game issues if corrupt. Follow the given steps to repair it and resume gameplay:
1. Follow steps 1 to 4 explained in Method 6.
2. In the Win64 folder, open the EasyAntiaCheat folder and double-click on the EasyAntiCheat_Set up.exe file.
3. In the EasyAntiCheat service dialog box, click on Repair Service.
Now launch the game again and check if the discussed issue is fixed.
Method 8: Repair Visual C++ Redistributable
Visual C++ Redistributables is a set of runtime components that are required by applications and games such as Fortnite that are built using Microsoft C and C++ tools. In case they are damaged, it could lead to compatibility issues and errors while launching the game that relies on these libraries. You can fortunately repair them. Refer to our guide on How to Repair Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable.
Method 9: Force Fortnite to Use DirectX 11
DirectX 12 APIs are designed to handle intensive tasks such as graphics rendering and gaming on Microsoft platforms. If your PC runs with DirectX 12 and still you are facing launching issues with Fortnite OG, you can force the game to use DirectX 11 to fix the error as follows:
1. Open the Epic Games Launcher.
2. Click on the initial of your Display Name in the top-right corner and select Settings.
3. Scroll down and expand the FORTNITE drop-down menu.
4. Tick the checkbox next to Additional Command Line Arguments and in the text box, enter d3d11.
5. Now start the game again and see if it is launching now.
Note: You can delete the command and uncheck the box to switch back to DirectX 12.
Method 10: Reinstall Fortnite
Lastly, if none of the above solutions helped you fix Fortnite OG not launching issue, you can uninstall and reinstall the game on your PC, even after the new update. Doing so eliminates all the corrupt and damaged files and installs fresh files, which might fix the error.
1. In the Control Panel, click on Programs followed by Uninstall a program.
2. Right-click on Fortnite and select Uninstall.
3. Open the Epic Games Launcher, click on Library, and choose Fortnite.
4. Click on BROWSE and choose the location. Finally, click on the INSTALL button.
We hope our guide helped you fix Fortnite OG not launching on PC issue. Stay tuned to TechCult to find prompt solutions for such game-related errors.