Windows Update is a helpful tool that installs the latest drivers, which will help keep the computer functioning well. Without it, there will be security issues, hardware errors, software errors, etc. Although a useful tool, Windows update is not without its issues. There is a range of errors occurring in Windows updates. One of these is Windows update error 0x800705b3. This particular error happens mostly after a failed pending installation of a Windows update. Also, these occur with webcam drivers and with Bluetooth drivers. There could also be various reasons this issue happens apart from the reasons mentioned above. If you are unsure about why this error occurs and how to troubleshoot it, you are on the right article. We will guide you with step-by-step methods to troubleshoot and fix error 0x800705b3. Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
How to Fix Error 0x800705b3 in Windows Update
Before we get on to solve the problem, let us see some of the points on why this issue occurs:
- Windows Installer service issues
- Windows Update service issues
- DNS server issues
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service issues
- Broken Windows update component
- TCP/IP inconsistency
- Corrupt system files
Method 1: Perform Clean Boot
Using a clean boot, you can start the computer and conduct diagnostic tests to figure out which stages in the regular boot process are incorrect. Through this method, we can detect the primary cause behind Windows Update error 0x800705b3. Read our guide on How to Perform Clean Boot in Windows 10 to do the same.
Once you have booted your computer in safe mode, check if the issue persists. If so, uninstall any of the latest programs or applications you have added to your system.
Method 2: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
The recommended fix for this issue is to run a Windows update troubleshooter. It is a utility used to fix issues related to Windows update errors. It can also troubleshoot Windows Update error 0x800705b3, so it is worth a try.
Read our guide on How to Run Windows Update Troubleshooter and implement the same.
Also Read: How to Fix Windows Update Error 80072ee2
Method 3: Enable Windows Service
If your Windows Installer Service is disabled or is not running properly, then the Windows Update can’t install the updates it has downloaded. To see Windows services status, follow the below steps:
1. Open the Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R keys simultaneously.
2. Type services.msc and click on OK to launch Services.
3. In the Services menu, right-click on the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and select Properties.
4. Under the service status section, click on Start.
5. Set Startup type as Automatic and click on OK > Apply.
6. Repeat the steps for following other services:
- Windows Update
- Windows Installer
Method 4: Manually Install Pending Updates
Many Windows users reported that manually updating the required files fixed Error 0x800705b3 problem with Windows update; you can do this process in the Microsoft Windows Update catalog. Follow the below steps:
1. Press the Windows + I keys simultaneously to open Settings.
2. Here, select Update & Security setting.
3. Then, click on the View update history option.
4. In the list, note down the KB number pending to be downloaded due to an error message.
5. Next, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
6. Enter the (Knowledge Base) KB Number in the search bar and click on Search.
7. Select the desired Update from the given list, as shown.
Note: The complete information about the update can be viewed on the Update Details screen.
8. Click on the corresponding Download button of the particular update.
9. In the window that appears, click on the hyperlink to download the respective update.
10. Once downloaded, press Windows + E keys to open File Explorer. Double-click on the .msu file from the folder where it was saved.
11. Choose Open with Windows Update Standalone Installer (default) and click on OK.
12. Click on Yes to confirm and allow Windows to install the desired update.
Note: It may take a few minutes for the installation to be completed, and you will receive a notification.
13. Finally, reboot your PC after saving unsaved data to implement the update.
Also Read: Fix Windows Update Error 0x800704c7
Method 5: Change DNS Address
If there are still problems with the network regarding TCP/IP, you can try resetting DNS to the Google server in the settings. Read our guide on How to change DNS settings in Windows 10 and implement the same to fix Windows Update error 0x800705b3.
Method 6: Repair System Files
If the above methods didn’t work for you, then you can try an in-built system utility called SFC scan. This System File Checker (SFC) scans the system files and replaces any corrupt files by replacing them with a cached copy located in a compressed folder. After an SFC scan, you can perform a DISM scan. This scan downloads perfect copies of Windows files if any files of yours are corrupt.
Read our guide on How to Repair System Files on Windows 10 and implement the same.
Method 7: Reset Windows Update Components
Error 0x800705b3 in Windows update can also occur due to Windows detecting bad data (due to TCP/IP network inconsistency); a Winsock reset can solve this. This reset will restore a file called wsock32.dll to its default state so that connecting to TCP/IP is refreshed and its traffic is cleaner.
Read our guide on How to Reset Windows Update Components on Windows 10 and implement the same.
Method 8: Perform System Restore
System Restore is used to restore the system state to a previous time by selecting the restore point, made automatically or manually, to recover from problems. This will undo all the errors and fix update error 0x800705b3.
Note: Your files won’t be affected by this in any way. However, any software or drivers installed will be removed after the restore point’s creation time. Therefore, please thoroughly check and back up your data files before restoring them.
Read our guide on How to Create a System Restore Point in Windows 10 and implement the same.
Also Read: Fix Windows Update 0x8007000d Error
Method 9: Reset PC
This process resembles a factory reset for your device. This will restore Windows to its original state, free of errors and damaged files. It wipes out the previous Operating system, the data stored in programs, settings, and all of your personal files. And a new OS will be installed with all the updates installed. Yet, you can reset Windows 10 without losing any data.
Note: It is always advisable to create a backup of important files and data.
Follow our guide on How to Reset Windows 10 Without Losing Data and implement the same.
Once you have repair installed on your PC, your Operating system will be updated to its latest version.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Why does Windows update not install the updates even after downloading them?
Ans. The problem could be due to Windows Installer Service, which governs the installation of Windows Update. Read the above guide to learn more about how to enable it.
Q2. What is DISM and why is it needed?
Ans. Deployment Image Servicing and Management is a command line used to repair, install, or modify system images. DISM can also be used to download system files required for Windows updates.
- How to Remove Family Link Without Parent Permission
- Fix Error Code 0xc1800103 0x90002
- Fix 0x800f0831 Windows 10 Update Error
- Fix Windows 10 Update Error 0xc1900204
We hope that the above article on How to resolve error 0x800705b3 in Windows update was helpful to you and you were able to solve the problem. Let us know which one of the methods worked for you in the comment section. Please let us know if you have any queries or suggestions about the article. Thanks!