Every laptop or computer performs a POST (Power On Self Test) to check if all hardware in the system starts and is working properly. If the system works properly, it will beep once and activate Windows. What if your system beeps numerous times? You might have the laptop beeps 5 times when turned on issue and wondering what they mean and how to troubleshoot the issue. Also, you must be experiencing the Dell 5 beeps no display issue. If you are experiencing this issue and don’t know what to do, you have come to the right place. In this article, we will look at various methods to approach and solve this problem. There are different beep codes, and the number of beep codes you hear indicates the type of error the system is experiencing. Continue reading to fix Dell laptop 5 beeps issue.
How to Fix Dell 5 Beeps When Turned On
First, let us look at the possible reasons for this issue:
- CMOS battery failure
- Memory (RAM) failure
- Video card failure
- Bad processor (CPU)
- Motherboard failure
- BIOS failure
- Memory (RAM) not found
The points mentioned above are the possible errors for any Dell laptop beep codes.
Note: If your laptop or computer is under warranty, don’t attempt to fix it yourself. Take the system to the Dell service center in the case of a laptop or call Dell customer care in the case of a PC. If your system is out of warranty period and you want to troubleshoot it yourself, follow the given solutions.
Method 1: Use Dell Diagnostics Tool
Every Dell products ship with an in-built Dell Diagnostics Tool to diagnose any error in hardware before Windows is booted. This diagnostic tool is called Pre-boot Diagnostic tool, a basic tool to help identify a hardware issue. To get started with this method, take a look at the below-given steps:
1. Turn on your Dell system.
2. Press the F12 key when your system starts, and it will go to the boot menu.
3. Choose the Diagnostics option in the menu.
4. Wait until the test completes. If there is an error with any system hardware, you will see info about that error. This can give you more information on Dell laptop 5 beeps no display issue.
Also Read: Why Your Samsung Laptop Won’t Turn On?
Method 2: Reset CMOS Battery
Most of the time, Dell 5 beeps indicate a problem with the CMOS battery. You need to remove and re-seat the CMOS battery to troubleshoot the issue. Follow the below steps:
1. Go to the official Dell website.
2. Enter your Dell computer or laptop model and click on Search to visit the model page.
3. Scroll down and click on the MANUALS AND DOCUMENTS option.
4. Scroll down the page, and you may see your laptop model with the Service Manual heading. Click on View PDF to view the manual.
5. In the manual, you can find the instructions on how to replace or remove the CMOS battery.
Note: CMOS is also known as a coin-cell battery.
6. After removing the CMOS battery, hold your Power button for 15–20 seconds to discharge the remaining battery in the computer or laptop.
7. Re-insert the CMOS battery and check if the computer works.
Also Read: 7 Ways to Fix Dell Touchpad Not Working
Method 3: Change CMOS Battery
If removing and re-seating did not solve the issue, we suggest you change the CMOS battery with a new one. Dell 5 beeps no light indicate CMOS battery problems. The CMOS battery is the battery located inside the system which powers BIOS or UEFI. Usually, CMOS batteries are CR2032 for computers and CR2032 and CR2025 for laptops. Please check which type of battery is suitable for your computer from your vendor’s manual.
1. Like before, enter your Dell computer or laptop model and click on Search on the official Dell website.
2. Scroll down and click on MANUALS AND DOCUMENTS.
3. Scroll down the page and under the Service Manual section, click on View PDF to view the manual.
4. On the Contents page, find the information on how to replace the CMOS battery with a new CMOS battery according to your system.
5. Follow the instructions as given in the manual to fix the Dell laptop 5 beeps issue.
Method 4: Update BIOS
If replacing or removing the CMOS battery doesn’t help, you can try updating the BIOS. Visit the Dell official site to update the BIOS. Read our guide on what is BIOS and how to update BIOS to get a clarity on it and implement the same.
Also Read: How to Fix Dell Diagnostic Error 2000-0142
Method 5: Contact Support
If none of the solutions works, it is time to contact a service technician or Dell Customer Care. Since this is a hardware problem, a service technician can troubleshoot and fix the Dell 5 beeps issue at a cost.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What is a CMOS battery?
Ans. A CMOS (complementary metal-oxide semiconductor) battery powers the laptop BIOS or UEFI. In the case of laptops, even if your battery is empty, the CMOS will power the BIOS or UEFI firmware responsible for a full hardware system check.
Q2. What do 5 beeps in a Dell laptop indicate?
Ans. According to Dell’s official website, 5 beeps at startup indicate a problem with the CMOS battery.
Q3. Why is my Dell beeping?
Ans. Beep codes indicate the error in system hardware, and the number of beeps gives an idea to the user about which hardware experienced the error.
Q4. How much does a CMOS battery cost?
Ans. A CR2032 CMOS battery costs $1–$10 (INR 500–1000, might vary).
- List of All Shortcut Keys of Computer
- Fix Google Voice We Could Not Complete Your Call
- How to Perform 5.1 Surround Sound Test on Windows 10
- How to Enable Dell Keyboard Backlight Settings
We hope that this guide was helpful and you were able to fix Dell 5 beeps issue. Please let us know which one of the solutions worked for you. If you have any queries or suggestions, please let us know in the comment section below. Also, let us know what you want to learn next.