Do not play the game! Well, this article is not going to advise you; it will deal with solving a major issue. For this purpose, imagine the very source of playing the game to tell you this. Does not make much sense, does it? Let us put the question in other words, did you witness your game hung with Disc Read error MW3? Like any popular game, the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 game was capable to attract as many gamers as possible to its player portal. As we discuss the related terms, what is COD MW3 disc read error? As the specific focus is given to the COD MW3 game, the disc read error is an error message that pops up while you are playing this game. Let us find the relevant methods to fix the error in this article.
How to Fix Call of Duty MW3 Disc Read Error
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 disc read error usually indicates a problem with either the game disc itself or the console’s disc drive. Here, you will get to know about the solutions to fix this issue.
One of the effective way to fix MW3 disc read error on PC is to scan and repair Modern Warfare 3 game files. You can also try reinstalling battle.net and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 game.
What is COD MW3 Disc Read Error?
The answer to the question of what is COD MW3 Disc Read error is within the question itself. From the contextual meaning, we can understand that this error relates to the inability of the system to read the contents of the COD MW3 game.
The section provides an introduction to the causes of the COD MW3 file read error.
- Damaged game file: The game file may be damaged or corrupt, and the PC might find it difficult to read the contents of the game.
- Interference from Security Software: Security software such as anti-virus software or firewall protection may interrupt the effective functioning of the game. In this case, the software may treat the game file as a virus and the information may not be read.
- Missing files: The game files necessary to run the COD MW3 game might be missing in the directory.
- Issues in CD drive: Though most of the new users have installed the COD MW3 game using the online tool and the code, some of us might possess the traditional CD drive. In this case, some issues in the CD drive may be a reason for the issue.
Now that we are aware of the various causes and have a clear understanding of the disc read MW3 error, we can delve into finding the methods to eradicate this issue.
Method 1: Troubleshoot Hardware Issues (If Applicable)
If you are using the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 CD drive to play the game, any issue or defect in the hardware might cause the issue. It is to be noted that the main laying film of the CD drive should be left uninfluenced as it can disturb the performance of the drive. Also, it is best to switch to using the upgraded version of installing using the code, as the CD drive may not have sufficient space to save all the files.
- Clean CD Drive: Use rubbing alcohol and a cue tip to clean the CD drive. An additional option is to use compressed air, which is used to clean electronic parts, to clear the dust.
- Repair CD: Contact a technician or perform CD repair by playing it on the PC.
Method 2: Reload Game Files
The first attempt to resolve disc read error MW3 should be to reload the game file from a fresh start. This method has three phases, viz., closing the app, clearing the cache files, and relaunching the game app.
1. Implement the instructions in the link to close all the instances of the Battle.net game app.
2. Press the Windows + R keys to open a Run dialog box.
3. Type the following location path in the field and click on the OK button.
C:\Call of Duty Modern Warfare\main
4. Press the Ctrl key and click on the individual files as mentioned in this step.
5. Press the Delete key to delete the file.
6. Navigate to the location path as said below.
C:\Users\Lenov0\Documents\Call of Duty Modern Warfare\players
7. Right-click on the ppsod.dat file and click on the Delete option.
8. Start the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 game on the Battle.net app.
Method 3: Run MW3 in Safe Mode
Safe Mode is used to start the game in the lowest possible settings while keeping the controls intact. As an answer to the question of how to fix MW3 disc read error PC, you can try running the game in the safe mode as said below.
1. Boot your PC in safe mode. Follow our guide to boot Windows 11 in Safe Mode.
Note: In some PCs, the F8 key can be used to open the Safe mode.
2. Open the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 game in the Battle.net app.
3. Click on the Yes button on the confirmation screen to open the game in safe mode.
Method 4: Scan and Repair MW3 Game
Another option to fix the error is to reinstall the game files of the COD MW3 game. This can be done by utilizing the Scan and Repair option on the game app itself.
1. Open Desktop using the Windows + D keys together.
2. Select the Battle.net app, right-click on it, and click on the Run as administrator option.
3. In the PARTNER GAMES section, click on the Call of Duty: MW game on the left pane.
4. Click on the Options menu next to the game logo and click on the Scan and Repair option in the drop-down menu.
5. Click on the Begin Scan button to allow the scanning of the game file.
6. After the scanning is complete, restart the game as said earlier.
Also Read: Fix Dev Error 6634 in Call of Duty Warzone
Method 5: Disable Anti-Virus Software (If Applicable)
If the error is caused due to interference from the Security software, you can try disabling the software on your PC. Read the link given here to learn the method to disable the anti-virus software to learn the answer to the question of how to fix MW3 disc read error PC. However, it is to be noted that this option may not be recommended as some viruses may creep in if you are using any other unauthorized source.
Method 6: Return GPU to Original Settings
An overclocked graphics card may be causing disc read error MW3. As a functional GPU is required for the proper operation of the game, you can return the overclocked GPU to the original settings as said in this section.
1. Read the article on booting the PC in the BIOS mode.
2. Alter the GPU stock clocks to a desired value or the original settings.
3. Exit from the BIOS menu after making the changes and launch the game on the Battle.net app.
Method 7: Reinstall Battle.net App
The final method to fix disc read error MW3 is to reinstall the Battle.net app on your PC. As this error primarily occurs on the gaming app, you can try this method.
Step I: Uninstall Battle.net App
The first step is to uninstall the existing version of the Battle.net game app on your PC using the Control Panel app.
1. Follow the general instructions given in the article to uninstall the Battle.net game.
2. Click on the Yes, Uninstall button to confirm the uninstallation process.
Step II: Reinstall Battle.net App
The answer to the question of how to fix MW3 disc read error PC is to reinstall the app on your PC. The next step is to use a web browser to reinstall the Battle.net app and sign in to your account.
1. Open the Google Chrome app from the search bar.
2. Open the official website of the Battle.net app and click on the Download for Windows button.
3. Double-click on the Battle.net-setup.exe file to run it.
4. Select the English (US) option as the preferred language and click on the Continue button.
5. Click on the Continue button to proceed with the installation.
Note: Click on the Change option to alter the location to install the game folder.
6. After the installation process is complete, enter the user-credential details in the fields and click on the Log In button.
7. Relaunch the COD MW3 game in the app.
Method 8: Reinstall Game
Here is how to fix MW3 disc read error on PC by reinstalling the game.
1. Open the Settings app on your computer by pressing the Windows + I keys simultaneously.
2. Now, click on the Apps setting.
3. Next, locate and click on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 from the apps list and select Uninstall.
4. Click on the Uninstall pop-up to confirm the process.
5. Now, reboot the PC.
6. Next, launch the Call of Duty MW3 official website.
7. Now, download the game on your PC and launch it to check if the Diver error code has been resolved.
Method 9: Contact Support Team
If none of the methods solve disc read error MW3 by visiting the Modern Warfare 3 Activision support page.
Pro Tip: How to Avoid Disc Read Error MW3
To ensure that you do not bump into the error message again, you can implement the options given in this section.
- Avoid playing in Groups: If you are playing the COD: MW3 game with a batch of your friends, you may face this error as the game crashes due to overclocking of entries.
- Ensure Installation of Components: If all the components of the COD MW3 game are not installed, you may face this error. In this case, you can repair the game file as stated earlier.
- Install Latest Patch: After the official community rolls out a new patch, ensure to add them to the game to optimize the gaming experience.
- How to Enable or Disable Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling on Windows 11
- Can You Get Star Citizen on Xbox One?
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Player Count: How Many People Play the Game?
- Fix Call of Duty Warzone 2 Error Code Diver
The article addresses Disc Read Error MW3 and explains the methods to fix it. It would be very thoughtful if you can spend a few minutes sending your queries and suggestions in the comments section.