Discord is a well-known communication platform for gaming communities all around the world. Discord is a place to chat, text, voice call, and simply hang out with your community and friends. You can also customize Discord to your liking with the help of BetterDiscord, a simple extension of the Discord app. With BetterDiscord, you can create custom themes, backgrounds, chat bubble designs, UI placement, and customizable text. This extension indeed makes it enjoyable to use Discord. However, many users have been complaining about BetterDiscord not working. If you are facing the same issue while using it, then our today’s guide on Better Discord not working Windows 11 will help you know what triggers this issue and how you can fix it with the help of some proven troubleshooting methods. Also you will know how to fix Better Discord not working after restart issue. If you wish to check these helpful methods out, keep reading the article until the end.
Table of Contents
Ways to Fix BetterDiscord Not Working
Here, you will get to know about the troubleshooting methods to fix Better Discord not working on Windows 11 PC.
Why is BetterDiscord Not Working?
Better Discord has undoubtedly reinvented the way Discord works. It is a handy extension with which you can modify various themes and plugins in the application. However, BetterDiscord keeps crashing or fails to start due to several reasons listed below:
- Minor technical glitches in BetterDiscord
- Interference of custom themes and plugins
- Corrupt bdstorage.json file
- Installation errors in Better Discord
How to Fix Better Discord Not Working
Facing issues with Better Discord is common. Whether it is a technical glitch or a corrupt file, all can be fixed with the easy troubleshooting methods discussed below.
Method 1: Restart Better Discord
Refreshing or restarting Better Discord is one of the basic methods to fix Better Discord not working after update. Restarting the extension means starting a new session that applies the themes and plugins in a new way. This will help the screen reloading process. You should restart Better Discord by ending its task in the Task Manager window. To know more about how to perform it, refer to our guide on How to End Task in Windows 10 and then relaunch Better Discord.
Read the next method to fix Better Discord not working after restart problem.
Method 2: Re-login to Discord
The next method to attempt involves logging out and then logging in to Discord. If you are facing problems with your Discord account, especially Better Discord not working after restart, then opt to log in again to avoid the app crashing or failing to respond with the help of the following steps:
1. Launch the Discord application on your PC.
2. Now, click on the Settings gear icon at the bottom to open User Settings.
3. Now, scroll down in the left pane and click on Log Out.
4. Close the application and then restart it on your device.
5. Next, Sign In to your Discord account.
Also Read: 5 Ways to Fix Discord Friend Request Failed Error
Method 3: Remove Custom Themes and Plugins
Better Discord allows users to customize themes and plugins using the Plugins API in Discord. These custom themes and plugins can sometimes interfere and result in BetterDiscord not working. Therefore, to fix the issue, you can remove these add-ons using the steps given below:
1. Launch Discord on your PC and click on the Settings icon.
2. On the left-hand menu, under the BETTERDISCORD option, click on Plugins or Themes.
3. Next, click on Open Plugins Folder or Open Themes Folder.
4. Now, locate and clear any Plugins or Themes files or temporarily move them to a different folder.
Once done, restart Discord and check whether the crash or failing-to-respond issue has been fixed.
Method 4: Remove bdstorage.json File
To repair Better Discord not working, removing the bdstorage.json file is another great solution. As you know, corrupt files can cause the app to crash and not work properly. Therefore, you must temporarily move the file and check if doing so fixes the error.
1. Launch File Explorer on your PC and navigate to the location path.
2. You will find the bdstorage.json file here, click on it and press Ctrl + X keys together to cut it.
3. Press Ctrl + V keys together in the new location to move the file.
Once the steps have been performed, restart Better Discord and check if the error has been fixed.
Also Read: Fix Discord Server Owner Crown Not Showing
Method 5: Change Language
You can also change the system language settings to change the Discord client appearance and to resolve Better Discord not working after update. Along with changing the app’s appearance, this method will fix issues while operating the app.
1. Open the Discord application and click on the Settings gear icon to open User Settings.
2. Now, scroll down in the left pane menu to open Language settings.
3. Now, change your language from the list of options available.
4. Finally, restart Discord to apply the changes and fix the issue.
Once the issue has been resolved, revert the language to the original.
Method 6: Repair Better Discord
To solve specific problems like Better Discord not working Windows 11, you can also try repairing Better Discord. This method will help you fix app crashing issues easily. You can follow the steps below to repair Better Discord for particular problems:
1. Download and launch the BandageBD installer from GitHub on your PC.
2. Now, accept its terms and conditions and click on Repair BetterDiscord and click Next.
3. Now, select Repair On Stable.
4. Select the issue you are facing and click on the Repair option to start the process.
Once the repair process is complete, run Better Discord to check if it works.
Method 7: Reinstall Better Discord
If you are still unable to repair Better Discord not working after restart with the help of the fixes mentioned above, then you can try reinstalling Better Discord on your computer. Doing so will help to fix installation errors that might have occurred during the first installation process. This method will also help to resolve an update malfunction. So, follow the steps below to reinstall Better Discord on your PC:
1. Firstly, uninstall the Better Discord app. Follow our guide to force uninstall programs.
2. Download and run Better Discord Installer on your computer.
3. Now, open the installer and select Uninstall BetterDiscord under Choose an Action.
4. Select the Discord version and click on Uninstall and click Next.
5. Now, relaunch Better Discord Installer and select Install BetterDiscord from the options available.
6. Select the Discord version and click on Install.
Once the Better Discord application has been reinstalled into your system, run it to check if it works fine.
Also Read: 9 Ways to Fix Discord Search Not Working on Mobile
Method 8: Reinstall Discord
Another method to resolve BetterDiscord not working issue is by reinstalling Discord on your device. Uninstalling Better Discord with the app and roaming data will help you fix the error. You can uninstall and reinstall the Discord application using the steps below:
1. Open system Settings by pressing Windows + I keys simultaneously.
2. Now, click on Apps.
3. Now, locate and click on the Discord app and select Uninstall.
4. Next, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation process, if any.
5. Press Windows + E keys together to open File Manager.
6. Now, navigate to the given path.
7. Right-click on Discord and select Delete from the menu.
8. Navigate to the following path.
9. Delete the Discord folder as done earlier.
10. Go to the Discord website on a browser and click on Download for Windows.
11. Launch the DiscordSetup.exe file to install it.
12. Open the Discord app and check if it works fine now.
Method 9: Contact BetterDiscord Support
Finally, if you are still struggling to operate BetterDiscord even after trying all the possible solutions, you can try contacting BetterDiscord support. If your query is not answered on the FAQs page, you can report your issue to get a suitable solution for your problem.
- Is There Apex Legends Split Screen on Xbox One?
- How to Change Stream Title on Twitch
- Fix Discord Email is Already Registered Error
- How to Remove Someone from Discord Group
This brings us to the end of our guide on BetterDiscord not working. We hope all your queries about BetterDiscord were answered along with why it is not working and how you can fix the issue. If you have other questions or suggestions to give, please feel free to leave them in the comments section below.