Avast is one of the most commonly used antivirus programs on Windows 10 PC. The software provides regular updates and security definitions to safeguard your PC. Like all other apps, Avast has some errors and bugs. One particular bug within the app makes it turn off by itself. When your security program turns off its shield, it is a big threat to your computer, and also makes the PC vulnerable. This article covers all effective troubleshooting steps that will help you fix Avast keeps turning off issue on your Windows 10 PC.
How to Fix Avast Keeps Turning Off in Windows 10
Here are a few common reasons that cause Avast turning off by itself issue on your computer. Analyze them deeper so you will get an idea of how to resolve the same.
- Any temporary glitches in your PC that are preventing Avast from being opened.
- Running Avast without administrative rights prevents a few features from being accessed on your computer.
- Outdated Avast will cause Avast turning off by itself problem.
- Few essential services like the aswbIDSAgent are disabled on your computer.
- The Avast installed on your PC is corrupt or misconfigured.
- Your PC is infected with malware or virus.
- Some background tasks are interfering with your program.
- Outdated Windows operating system.
- Firewall is preventing Avast to open.
- Corrupt or incompatible installation files of Avast.
Now, move ahead to the next section to find the effective troubleshooting methods to fix Avast turning off by itself issue. Here are some effective troubleshooting methods that will help you fix Avast turning off by itself problem on your Windows 10 computer. Read them carefully before you implement them.
Method 1: Restart PC
Before trying all the listed advanced troubleshooting methods, you are advised to reboot your computer. When you restart your computer, the technical glitches that cause any challenging layouts will be resolved thereby helping you to fix Avast turning off by itself issue. You can also shut down the PC using the Power options and turn it on again after some time.
1. Navigate to the Start menu.
2. Now, select the power icon at the bottom left corner of the screen.
3. Several options like Sleep, Shut down, and Restart will be displayed. Here, click on Restart.
Once you have restarted your computer, check if you can open Avast without any issues.
Method 2: Run Avast with Admin Privileges
You need administrative privileges to access a few features and services in Avast. If you do not have the required administrative rights, you might face Avast keeps turning off issue. However, few users have suggested that the problem can be resolved when running the program as an administrator.
1. Right-click on the Avast shortcut on the desktop or navigate to the installation directory and right-click on it.
2. Now, click on Properties as shown.
3. In the Properties window, switch to the Compatibility tab.
4. Now, check the box Run this program as an administrator.
5. Finally, click on Apply > OK to save the changes.
Now, relaunch the program to see if Avast opens now without any problems now.
Also Read: How to Fix Avast Update Stuck on Windows 10
Method 3: Update Avast Antivirus
If there are any bugs within Avast, you can fix them by updating the app. As mentioned earlier, Avast gets regular updates to fix all the errors and bugs. When these bugs and errors come to the developer’s eye, they release updates to fix them completely. Follow the below-mentioned steps to update Avast on your Windows 10 PC.
1. Hit the Windows key and type Avast Antivirus. Click on Open from the search result.
2. Go to the Menu icon from the top right corner of the Avast user interface.
3. Then, select Settings from the list.
4. Now, switch to the Update tab and click on Check for Updates button. Make sure you get the following messages.
- Virus definitions are up to date
- Avast Free Antivirus is up to date
5. Once you have updated it, restart Avast and check if the issue has been solved.
Method 4: Close Background Tasks
If you are still worried about why does my Avast keep turning off issue, it can be resolved by closing all the background tasks running on your PC. Several background tasks on your PC will interfere with Avast, thereby preventing the app from being opened. Hence, close all the background tasks on your PC by following our guide How to End Task in Windows 10, and proceed as instructed.
Once you have closed all the background processes, check if you were able to open Avast on your computer.
Also Read: How to Remove Avast from Windows 10
Method 5: Enable aswbIDSAgent Service Settings
Several users have reported that the bug causing Avast keeps turning off issue can be fixed by making some changes in the aswbIDSAgent Service. This method is very easy and you can implement the same by following the below-mentioned steps.
1. Hit the Windows key, type Services and click on Run as administrator.
2. Now, scroll down and double-click on the aswbIDSAgent service.
3. Now, in the new pop-up window, select the Startup type to Automatic, as depicted.
Note: If the Service status is Stopped, then click on the Start button. If the Service status is Running, click on Stop and Start it again.
4. When you start the service, you may face a 1079 error (or something similar to that). In this case, switch to the Log On tab, click on the This account radio button and select the Browse option.
5. In the Enter the object name to select field, type the username of your account.
6. Then, click on the Check Names option to authenticate the object name.
7. Now, click on OK to save the changes and if you are prompted, type in your administrator account.
8. Click on Apply > OK to save the changes and check if you were able to open Avast without any issues.
Method 6: Run Malware Scans
There are few circumstances where a virus or malware in your computer is taking over the control of Avast. Hence, you must check whether the third-party harmful viruses are interfering with Avast, causing Avast turning off by itself issue. Several Microsoft experts suggest that scanning a PC will help you maintain your computer threat free. If there are any viruses or malware intrusions on your PC, you cannot use external and internal hardware devices. Hence, you are advised to scan your computer as instructed in our guide How do I Run a Virus Scan on my Computer?
Also, if you want to remove malware from your computer, check our guide How to Remove Malware from your PC in Windows 10.
Method 7: Update Windows
Also, if there are any bugs in your PC, they can only be fixed after a Windows update. Microsoft releases regular updates to fix all these bugs thereby troubleshooting Avast keeps turning off issues. Hence, ensure if you have updated your Windows Operating System and if any updates are pending in action, use our guide How to Download and Install Windows 10 Latest Update
After updating your Windows Operating System, check whether you can access your camera.
Method 8: Modify Windows Defender Firewall Setting
Still, if you worry about why does my Avast keep turning off, this may be due to an over-reactive or over-protective firewall suite in your Windows 10 computer. This prevents the connection link between the app launcher and the server. So, to fix this problem, you can whitelist Avast in your Firewall settings or disable the problem temporarily.
Option I: Whitelist Avast
To allow Avast in your Windows Defender Firewall, follow our guide Allow or Block Apps through the Windows Firewall and implement the steps as instructed.
Option II: Disable Windows Defender Firewall (Not Recommended)
You can also disable Windows Defender Firewall, and to do so, check our guide on How to Disable Windows 10 Firewall and follow as instructed.
Option III: Create New Rule in Firewall
1. Go to the Search menu and type Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security. Then, click on Run as administrator as shown.
2. Now, in the left pane, click on Inbound Rules as depicted.
3. Then, in the right pane, click on New rule… as shown.
4. Now, make sure you select the Program option under What type of rule would you like to create? menu and click on Next> as shown.
5. Then, click on the Browse… button corresponding to This program path: as shown.
6. Then, navigate to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Avast path and double-click on the setup file. Then, click on the Open button.
Note: This location may vary according to the directory from which you have installed Avast. Browser the location accordingly.
7. Then, click on Next > in the New Inbound Rule Wizard window as shown.
8. Now, select the radio button next to Allow the connection and click on Next > as depicted.
9. Make sure Domain, Private, and Public boxes are selected and click on Next > as shown.
10. Finally, add a name to your new rule and click on Finish.
All done! Check if you can open Avast without any issues or not.
Method 9: Repair Avast Antivirus
If the above-listed 8 solution does not help you fix Avast keeps turning off issue, you can try repairing the app to fix all the harmful bugs within the app. This also fixes the corrupt installation files and even if this method fails to work, you can reinstall the app as instructed in the next method.
Option I: Directly from Avast Interface
1. Launch Avast Antivirus and navigate to Menu > Settings as you did earlier.
2. Next, switch to the Troubleshooting tab.
3. Here, click on Repair App in the right pane. Wait until the repairing process is complete. This might take a while.
Note: Avoid closing any windows or tabs during the repair process.
4. Once the repair is complete, reboot your PC. Check if the Avast not turning on issue is fixed or not.
Option II: Through Add or Remove Programs
1. Type Add or remove programs in the Windows search box. Launch it from the search result, as shown.
2. In the Search this list bar, type Avast.
3. Then, click on Avast and then, Modify.
Note: The below image is depicted for reference. Follow the same for Avast.
4. Click on Repair in the Avast pop-up window and follow the on-screen instructions.
Wait for it to be repaired. Restart your Windows 10 PC and check if the issue is resolved or not.
Method 10: Reinstall Avast Using Safe Mode
If repairing Avast, still does not solve why does my Avast keep turning off issue, you may have to reinstall the app in safe mode to fix the same. When you clean install Avast, the faulty application along with cache files, corrupt registries will be fixed.
1. Visit Avast official uninstaller site, and then, click on avastclear.exe to get the Avast Uninstall Utility, as shown below.
2. Now you have to boot Windows in Safe Mode. Follow the given steps;
2A. Hit the Windows key, then type System Configuration and click on Open.
2B. Now, click on the Boot tab in the window that opens.
2C. Next, select Safe boot under Boot options and then, click on OK, as shown below. Restart the computer and the computer will boot into Safe Mode.
3. Once Windows 10 is open in Safe Mode, click on the downloaded Avast Uninstall Utility you previously downloaded.
4. In the Uninstall utility window, make sure that the correct folder that contains the corrupt Avast program is selected.
5. Now, click on Uninstall.
6. After Avast has been uninstalled, Restart Windows in Normal Mode.
7. Navigate to the official Avast website and then click on DOWNLOAD FREE PROTECTION to download the latest Avast Antivirus application, as shown below.
8. Once the file is downloaded, go to My downloads, double-click on the Setup file, and follow the on-screen instructions to install Avast.
Now when you launch the Avast program, you will not face Avast turning off by itself issue again.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Why does my Avast stop working?
Ans. If there are any incompatibility issues in your PC, your Avast will not open at all. If your Avast does not open for you, make sure you check your firewall settings or repair the software if necessary.
Q2. Does Avast cause problems with Windows 10?
Ans. In some circumstances, Avast might interfere with the pre-installed apps of your PC and causes Windows 10 to crash, freeze, consume more resources, display Blue Screen Error (BSOD), and a lot more. This might occurs due to some incompatible programs you run manually or due to a few automatic services running in the background when you boot your Windows.
Q3. Why is my Avast browser not opening?
Ans. If the Avast browser does not open on your Windows 10 PC, it may be due to the fact that it is outdated or not updated properly. Few corrupt files within the app also cause the problem. Browser cache, cookies, and corrupt data also prevent Avast from being opened in the browser.
Q4. Is Windows Defender better than Avast?
Ans. To be more precise, Avast is better than Windows Defender Firewall. Few reports say that the detection rate for Windows Defender Firewall was 99.5 % while Avast detected 100% of malware and viruses. Avast also comes with advanced features that are not in Windows Defender Firewall.
- Fix Nvidia User Account Locked in Windows 10
- Fix Dell 5 Beeps When Turned On
- What is Easyanticheat.exe and Is It Safe?
- Fix SearchUI.exe Suspended Error on Windows 10
We hope that this guide was helpful and you could fix Avast keeps turning off in your device. Let us know which method worked for you the best. Also, if you have any queries/suggestions regarding this article, then feel free to drop them in the comments section.