Are you looking for a solution to fix Avast Behavior Shield that keeps turning off? Read on to know more about this Avast Antivirus feature and why the Avast Behavior shield is now off.
What is Avast Behavior Shield?
The Avast Behavior Shield is a crucial component of the Avast Antivirus software. If you use Avast antivirus, the Behavior Shield is enabled by default. It constantly monitors your PC and provides real-time protection from malware. In addition, the Shield effectively detects and blocks any files that exhibit suspicious behavior or activity.
Unfortunately, many users have reported that the Avast Behavior Shield keeps turning off, especially while rebooting the computer.
What are the Main Settings of Avast Behavior Shield?
The Avast Behavior shield constantly monitors your system for file threats and malware.
So, what do you do when the Shield detects a threat?
You can choose from and decide how to deal with a new threat that Avast Behavior Shield has recently detected. Here are the three available options:
1. Always Ask: If you select this option, the Behavior shield will ask you what you want to do with the threat found. Now, you can
- Move it to the Virus Chest or,
- Delete the file or,
- Ignore the threat.
2. Automatically move detected threats to Chest: If this option is enabled, the Behavior Shield will automatically move all threats detected in your system to the Virus Chest. Thus your PC will be saved from getting infected.
3. Automatically move known threats to Chest: When you use Avast Antivirus, this option is enabled by default. The Behavior Shield will move threats that the virus definition database detects as dangerous to the Virus Chest.
To change the settings of Avast Behavior Shield,
1. Launch Avast Antivirus.
2. Navigate to Settings > Components > Behavior Shield.
3. Now, choose any of the options detailed above, as per your requirement and convenience.
How To Fix Avast Behavior Shield Keeps Turning Off
Why Avast Behavior Shield Keeps Turning Off?
The most common reasons why users face this issue are:
- Outdated Avast Antivirus software
- Corrupt or Missing program files
Whatever the reason, it is highly recommended that you fix this issue to keep the Behavior Shield Enabled on your computer. If Avast Behavior Shield is now off, your computer is more vulnerable to malware and viruses that can infect your system.
Fix Avast Behavior Shield Keeps Turning Off On Windows 10
To keep your PC protected, you need to learn how to fix Avast Behavior Shield is now off issue. So, read below to know more.
Method 1: Update Avast Antivirus
This issue occurs more frequently in the Avast Antivirus 2018 edition. However, the program developers released updates to fix the issue of Avast Shield turning off whenever the computer reboots. If Avast is already working in its latest version, you can skip this method.
Otherwise, follow the given steps to update Avast Antivirus and resolve this issue:
1. Type Avast in the Windows search box and launch Avast Antivirus from the search result.
2. Go to Menu > Settings from the top right corner of the Avast user interface.
3. Now, go to the Update tab.
4. Click on the icon titled Check for Updates from the right pane. There will be two such icons available.
5. If applicable, updates will be installed to Avast.
Now, restart Avast and check if the issue has been solved.
Method 2: Repair Avast Antivirus
If the above method did not fix the issue, you could use the in-built Troubleshooting features in Avast to repair the program. You can do so in two ways, as explained below:
Option 1: Directly from Avast Interface
1. Launch Avast Antivirus and navigate to Menu > Settings as before.
2. Next, go to the Troubleshooting tab.
3. Here, click on Repair App in the right pane. The repair process will begin and might take a while to finish.
Note: Do not close any window or tab during the ongoing process.
4. Once the repair is complete, reboot your PC. Check if the Avast Behavior shield is now off or on.
Option 2: Through Add or Remove Programs
1. Type Add or remove programs in the Windows search box. Launch it from the search result, as shown.
2. In the Search this list bar, type Avast.
3. Click on Avast and then, Modify. The image below is an example given for clarity.
4. Click on Repair in the Avast pop-up window.
Wait for it to be repaired. Restart your computer and confirm that the issue is resolved.
Method 3: Clean Install Avast Antivirus
The final solution to fix Avast Behavior Shield keeps turning off is to uninstall Avast and all its files from your PC and then install the latest version. This process is known as Clean Installation. Follow the steps below to perform a clean installation of Avast Antivirus:
1. First, click on this link and then download the Avast Uninstall Utility.
2. Once the file is downloaded, open the file to run the software.
3. In the pop-up Avast Uninstall Utility window, click on Yes to boot Windows in Safe Mode. Click on Yes again to confirm.
4. Windows will now boot in Safe Mode, and the Uninstall Utility will launch automatically.
5. In the Utility window, ensure that you select the correct folder where Avast Antivirus has been installed presently.
6. Click on Uninstall to remove Avast Antivirus and associated files altogether. Click on Yes to confirm the uninstallation.
Note: The process will take a while to complete. Do not close any window during the uninstallation process.
7. Once the process is complete, click on Restart in the pop-up window.
8. Once your PC is restarted, click on this link. Then, click on Free Download to download the latest version of Avast Antivirus.
9. Open the downloaded file to run the installer. Follow the instructions shown on the screen to complete the installation.
10. Launch Avast and check if Avast Behavior Shield has stopped working issue is fixed.
- 5 Ways to Completely Uninstall Avast Antivirus in Windows 10
- Fix Local Device Name is Already in Use Error on Windows
- Disable Password after Sleep in Windows 10
- Fix Xbox One Overheating and Turning Off
We hope this guide was helpful and could fix Avast Behavior Shield is now off issue. Let us know which method worked the best for you. Also, if you have any questions or suggestions regarding this article, feel free to drop them in the comments section below.