When it comes to software, it is essential to know which one you should use. Because once you have invested much of your time in learning how the software functions, it becomes challenging to take a step back and devote time to learn new software. So, if you are about to decide between Photoshop and Illustrator, then we have a question for you. Do you know the difference between Photoshop vs Illustrator? Do not worry if you do not know because, in this article, we will tell you what is better, Illustrator or Photoshop, Photoshop vs Illustrator for drawing, and many other queries you have in mind.
Table of Contents
Which to Use Adobe Photoshop vs Illustrator?
In this article, we will tell you is Illustrator harder than Photoshop, the difference between Photoshop and Illustrator, and many other questions. So please keep reading to know about it.
Photoshop vs Illustrator for Drawing
We have done a comparison of both for drawing. So, keep reading to know about it:
Photoshop for Drawing
Photoshop primary function is photo editing. But it has tools that you can use for drawing. So, here we will tell you about photoshop for drawing:
- It has a wide range of brushes and pens for drawing.
- There are a large number of ways in which you can use the brushes provided by photoshop. So, it offers excellent brushes. This can be a great choice if you use more brushes for drawing.
- You can draw on the photos that you have by using photoshop.
- With its help of it, you can add beautifully drawn elements to the photos that you have.
- The edges of the drawing and shapes will not be smooth.
Illustrator for Drawing
Illustrator allows you to draw, and this is its primary function. Let us look at some of the key features that it offers for drawing:
- It has everything that you require for drawing.
- There are a wide variety of available shapes.
- You can make comics using Illustrator.
- The edges of the drawing will be smooth.
- It allows you to draw what is in your mind because it has various brushes, pens and pencils. This allows your creativity to come out and let it be shown to the world.
- Allows you to draw using your smartphone.
But Photoshop is not a perfect tool for creating logos and drawings, and you cannot enjoy all the features of Photoshop on mobile.
Photoshop vs Illustrator for Graphic Design
We have made the comparison here, and to make it clear, we have presented it in a table format below:
|It is a raster-based graphic software.||It is a vector-based graphics software.|
|The graphics are pixel-based.||The graphics here are points, lines, curves, and shapes. And these are based on a mathematical formula.|
|The graphics will lose quality.||They are vector based, so the details will not be lost whether you zoom in or out.|
|It is not a perfect tool for creating logos.||It is a perfect tool for creating logos.|
What is Difference Between Photoshop and Illustrator?
We have given the significant difference between photoshop and Illustrator in the table format below. Please keep reading to know about it.
|Main function||Its primary function is editing photos.||Its primary function is to create graphics.|
|File formats||JPEG, TIFF, or PNG are some of the standard file formats for Photoshop. However, if you have saved the file once as JPG or PNG, you will not be able to undo any changes. This is because once you save the file in JPG or PNG format, all the layers will merge.||AI, EPS, and SVG are some of the standard file formats. As the files are vector based, all the layers of any shapes or text will be contained separately.|
|In which file format you can export the file||You can export the file format to PDF.||You can export the file format in the format supported by Photoshop.|
Is Illustrator Harder than Photoshop?
Yes, photoshop is easier to learn. But it does not mean that all Illustrator features are more difficult to understand. So, Illustrator also has some features that are easier to remember. Also, if you are a professional or have some relevant skills, then using Illustrator will not be hard for you. Apart from this, it also depends on your interest, e.g., if you are more interested in photo editing, then you will find photoshop easy. However, since both are professional tools, even using the advanced features of photoshop can be a bit complicated.
What is Better Illustrator or Photoshop?
To tell which is better is subjective. So, we have listed a few cases to help you decide what is better Illustrator or Photoshop.
- If you want to print the graphics on banners, t-shirts, or anything else, then you can use Illustrator.
- If you want to draw images from scratch, then go for Illustrator.
- If you want more exact colors and shading, you can use Photoshop because it beats Illustrator. So you will be able to create images that would look more natural.
- If you want precise edits, then you can go for Photoshop. Also, you can use it if editing photos is your primary job.
- If you have to be innovative with some text, you can go for Illustrator. But, on the contrary, you can use Photoshop if you do not have to work with text.
- You can also use these two together.
So, the answer depends on your requirement and your work profile.
Also Read: How to Draw Radius on Google Maps App
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Do graphic designers use Photoshop or Illustrator?
Ans. Yes, graphic designers use photoshop or Illustrator. They can also use both depending on the requirement of the work.
Q2. What are the disadvantages of Adobe Illustrator?
Ans. The disadvantages of adobe illustrator are that it can be challenging to use, especially if you are a beginner, and it is expensive, so not everyone can afford it.
Q3. Do artists use Photoshop to draw?
Ans. Yes, artists use photoshop to draw. But not every artist uses it.
Q4. Why do artists use Photoshop instead of Illustrator?
Ans. Artists use photoshop instead of Illustrator because it offers a more accessible drawing style than Illustrator.
Q5. When to use Photoshop vs Illustrator?
Ans. If you want to work on the existing files and you have to edit images, then go for photoshop. On the other hand, if you want to make logos and images from scratch, then you can use Illustrator.
- How to Compare Two Files in Notepad
- How to Check MBR or GPT in Windows 10
- Is Photoshop Express Free?
- Fix Adobe After Effects Error 16 in Windows 10
We hope this article helped you understand the difference between Photoshop vs Illustrator. Now you can differentiate which is better between Photoshop vs Illustrator for drawing. Feel free to contact us with your queries and suggestions via the comments section below. Also, let us know what you want to learn about next.