A notepad is a simple piece of software in our computer system that allows you to write and edit text. Notepad++, on the other hand, is a more advanced version of Notepad. Continue reading if you want to learn how to compare two files in notepad. But, before we get into the comparison, let’s first define Notepad++ and then will make notepad++ compare two files.
Table of Contents
How to Compare Two Files in Notepad
Here, we have explained how to compare two files in Notepad ++ in detail.
What is a Notepad++?
If you are unsure about how to compare two files in Notepad, hold on! Keep reading.
Features of Notepad++
Some of the features of Notepad++ include:
- Syntax highlighting: Notepad++ can automatically highlight different parts of your code based on the programming language you’re using.
- Code folding: You can fold sections of your code to hide them and make it easier to navigate through large files.
- Auto-completion: Notepad++ can automatically complete code for you based on what you’ve typed so far, which can save you time and help reduce errors.
- Multiple documents: You can open and edit multiple documents at the same time in Notepad++. Each document appears in a separate tab, making it easy to switch between them.
- Find and replace: Notepad++ has a built-in search function that allows you to quickly find and replace text within a document or across multiple documents.
- Plugins: Notepad++ has a large number of plugins available that you can use to add additional features and functionality to the text editor.
- Customization: You can customize many aspects of Notepad++, including the appearance and layout of the editor, the way code is highlighted, and the shortcuts you use to perform common tasks.
What is Notepad++ Compare Plugin?
The Compare plugin is a plugin for the text editor Notepad++ that allows you to compare two files side-by-side and highlight the differences between them. It is useful for identifying changes between versions of a file, or for comparing similar files to see how they differ.
Features of Notepad++ Compare Plugin
Some of the features of Notepad++ Compare plugin include:
- Side-by-side comparison: The Compare plugin allows users to view and compare two or three files side-by-side in a single window.
- Highlighting of differences: The Compare plugin highlights differences between the compared files, making it easy to see what has changed between them.
- Synchronized scrolling: When comparing two or three files, the Compare plugin automatically keeps the scroll positions of the compared files in sync. So users can easily see how the changes in one file correspond to changes in the other file(s).
- Line numbering: The Compare plugin displays line numbers for each file, making it easy to reference specific lines.
- File encoding support: The Compare plugin supports a wide range of file encodings, including ASCII, UTF-8, and Unicode.
- Customizable colors: The Compare plugin allows users to customize the colors used to highlight differences between the compared files.
- File merging: The Compare plugin also allows users to merge changes from one file into another, making it easy to combine changes made in a separate file.
How to Install the Notepad++ Compare Plugin
Now, if you want to make notepad++ compare two files, then keep reading. But before that to use the Compare plugin, you first need to install it in Notepad++. To do so follow the steps below.
1. Press the Windows key, type Notepad++ and click on Open.
2. Then, select the Plugins menu and click on Plugin Admins.
3. Now, type the Compare plugin in the search bar and tick the checkbox next to Compare. Then, click on Install.
5. Click on Yes to start the installation process.
Also Read: How to add Notepad plugin on Windows 10
How to Compare Two Files in Notepad++
After the Compare plugin is installed to compare two files in Notepad++, follow these steps:
1. Hit the Windows key, type Notepad++, then click on Open.
2. Then, go to File and click on Open.
3. Now, select the two files you want to compare.
4. Go to the Plugins menu, then select Compare and choose Compare from the sub menu.
Finally, the comparing process will start and you can see the differences between both files.
The plugin will highlight the differences between the two files, showing added or removed lines in different colors. You can use the buttons in the Compare plugin window to navigate between the differences. Hence, this how you can compare two files in Notepad.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Why is Notepad++ superior to Notepad?
Ans. Notepad++ is a text editor that is generally considered to be more feature-rich and powerful than the built-in Windows text editor, Notepad.
Q2. What is the most frequent use of a Notepad?
Ans. Notepad is a simple text editor that is included in Windows operating system. It is primarily used for creating and editing text files.
Q3. Can Notepad++ handle a large number of records?
Ans. Notepad++ is a text editor that is designed to handle large text files. It can handle files up to the maximum file size that your operating system and hardware can support. On most modern systems, this is in the range of several gigabytes. However, it’s important to note that Notepad++ is not optimized for handling very large files and may become slow or unresponsive when working with files that are significantly larger than 2 GB.
Q4. Is Notepad++ free?
Ans. Yes, Notepad is absolutely free.
Q5. Does Windows 10 support Notepad++?
Ans. Yes, Windows 10 supports Notepad++. Notepad++ is a popular text editor that is available for Windows operating systems only. It can be used to edit and view text files, as well as other types of files such as HTML, XML, and programming code.
- Twitch Chat Commands for Bots
- How to Switch Between Facebook Accounts
- How to Set Notepad++ As Default in Windows 11
- How to Add Notepad++ Plugin on Windows 10
As was already mentioned, Notepad++ is a popular plain text and source code editor for Windows that is free and open-source. I believe you now know how to compare two files in Notepad. Please read the article and provide any queries or suggestions you may have about it.