Imagine spending weeks or months developing a stunning website just to be disappointed by the traffic it gets. You put more resources into making the site better and more attractive. But later, you realize that they are being greeted with a bright red scary warning stating your website is flagged as phishing by Chrome. In such a scenario, the website can lose upwards of 95% of its traffic. Hence, it is essential to know what to do when your own website is flagged as being dangerous.
What to Do When Your Own Website is Flagged as Being Dangerous?
Google takes great precautions to ensure the security of its users. Every day, they examine millions of websites for malicious software that could endanger users, such as viruses, spyware, and other types of malware. If your site does not reach up to its safety mark, it can flag it as harmful.
Has your website also fallen on the wrong side of security checks? Don’t worry, here are some sites that can help you out by showing exactly where your issues are arising and giving tips to overcome them. Follow the given instructions to check the security status of your website.
Method 1: Using Google’s Transparency Report
This is a straightforward method, visit the Google Transparency Report and enter your site URL in the search bar. Press the Enter key to start scanning.
If the report has any security issues, it will list any malicious content found on your website along with its location. It could be in the form of unauthorized redirects, hidden iframe, external scripts, or any other source that could be affecting your website. After understanding each issue, you can work on removing the warning signs that show your website is flagged as phishing by Chrome.
Method 2: Searching Your Website’s Domain Name
You can also use any browser to simply search your site. Open a new tab in Chrome and type site: in the search bar then add your website’s domain name without space and then hit Enter. For example, site:troubleshooter.xyz.
All the webpages will be listed and you can easily identify any infected pages as a warning text will appear before them. This method is useful for finding particular infected pages or new pages added by a hacker.
Method 3: Using Third-Party Scanner
Apart from Google’s very own tool, there are many free online scanners like Norton Safe Web Scanner. 1. Open the website, enter your site’s domain name in the search bar, and hit Enter. Now you can see why exactly is your website being flagged as dangerous and how to remove all issues.
Why Would Your Website Be Flagged?
Let’s learn about typical difficulties and practical solutions to turn your website into a reputable and friendly online destination. Here are a few possible reasons for being flagged:
- Being Labeled as Spam Content: It might be considered as being worthless or harmful by Google.
- Domain Spoofing: A hacker might try to impersonate a company or its employees. A common form is sending emails with a fake but similar domain name which may appear legitimate to an average user.
- Using Shared Hosting Platforms: In some pages, different websites are hosted together on the same server. Each user is allocated certain resources like storage space. If one of the sites in the shared server gets flagged for malpractices/fraud, then your website could get blocked too.
- Site Infected by Hackers: Hackers have infected the site with malware, spyware, or a virus.
How to Report Incorrect Phishing Warning
If your website shows flagged as a phishing warning incorrectly, then follow the steps below to rectify this issue:
1. Go to the official page of Google Safe Browsing.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select Report phishing error under Contact us.
3. Enter the URL and add any additional details.
4. Click on Submit Report.
The review process may take anything from a few hours to a few days. Once completed, visitors will no longer be greeted with bright red phishing warning signs before visiting your website on Chrome or any other browsers.
We hope after reading why is my website being flagged as dangerous, all your doubts have been cleared. Use these methods and make your website a safe space for viewers. Don’t hesitate to comment below in case you have any further queries.