Windows comes pre-installed with many programs that are designed to enhance user experience. Along with many productivity programs, Windows contains some programs specifically for security and protection of users and their data. MRT.exe is one such program which is included in Windows. Although it is installed to provide protection against malicious files, MRT.exe high CPU usage is a problematic side effect. If you are wondering, MRT exe what is it? Then you are at the right place. In this article, we will inform you all about MRT exe Windows 10 program and how to fix Malicious Software Removal Tool high CPU usage issue.
What is MRT.exe on Windows 10?
Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) or Microsoft Removal Tool (MRT) is a program that scans your PC at regular intervals to detect and remove any malicious or harmful files. It can be opened by using MRT exe Windows 10 executable file.
- It can be used to detect viruses like Trojan and worms
- It is pre-installed in the System by Microsoft
- It is located in C:\Windows\System32 by default
- It generally runs in the background once a month to scan PC files
- Users can manually open it to perform quick scan and full system scan
- It creates a log report (.mrt log) of all its actions i.e. all the files which were scanned, which files were infected and which files were removed.
Also Read: What is Easyanticheat.exe and Is It Safe?
How to Fix MRT.exe High CPU Usage
We hope you got the answer to MRT exe what is it? Now let us focus on one common problem that occurs when MRT exe Windows 10 is running. It sometimes consumes a lot of CPU power causing Malicious Software Removal Tool high CPU usage issue. Many used have reported MRT.exe high CPU usage. It can be resolved by closing MRT exe Windows 10 in Task Manager. Follow these steps to do so.
1. Press the Windows key and type Task Manager and click on Open option.
2. Switch to Details tab in the Task Manager.
3. Locate MRT.exe in the Details menu.
4. Right click on MRT.exe and select the End task option.
This will stop MRT.exe from running and free up CPU resources.
Also Read: What is WaasMedic Agent Exe in Windows 10?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. How to run MRT.exe?
Ans. You can locate MRT.exe in C:\Windows\System32 and run the executable file from there. You can also use Run dialog box to run it by typing MRT.exe in it and pressing the Enter key.
Q2. Is MRT similar to Antivirus program?
Ans. No, they both have separate functions. An Antivirus program can detect a wide variety of malware and viruses in comparison to MRT. Also, MRT can’t prevent malware and viruses from infecting System files. It can only detect and remove them while Antivirus program can prevent files from getting infected.
Q3. Is MRT.exe safe to run?
Ans. Yes, It is authorized by Microsoft and built specifically to be compatible with Windows. However, in some cases, you might find some files named MRT.exe which can be harmful. If you find any file named MRT.exe outside its default location of C:\Windows\System32 then scan it with Windows Defender or any other Antivirus program to check it.
Q4. Can you delete MRT.exe?
Ans. Yes, you can delete it manually, but it is not recommended. Deleting MRT.exe won’t make any significant changes to your PC, but before you do that make sure you have Antivirus program installed or that you are using Window Defender. Otherwise, you will be prone to attacks by malware and viruses.
- Fix Disney Plus Protected Content License Error
- Fix SearchUI.exe Suspended Error on Windows 10
- Which is Better Between Discord vs TeamSpeak?
- What is Test Mode in Windows 10?
We hope tht this guide was helpful and you were able to understand what is MRT exe on Windows 10 and how to fix MRT.exe high CPU usage issue. If you have any queries or suggestions then feel free to drop them in the comments section