Yes, it can be quite irritating when out of nowhere, a post or two from someone you’d rather not see keeps popping up incessantly on your Facebook feed. It’s not that you do not appreciate their posts, but hey, we all need a breather sometimes, right? Here comes handy the ability to mute someone, just like slipping on a pair of noise-canceling headphones. So, what exactly happens when you mute both posts and stories from someone on Facebook, and how to unmute them later? Read more to find out!
What Happens When You Mute Someone on Facebook?
Facebook gives you the ability to control what you see in your newsfeed without any fuss. Its dynamic & interconnected world often leads to situations where you may need to mute someone, either due to personal preferences or temporary circumstances. Let’s see what impact does it have on your interactions on the platform.
- When you mute a user on Facebook, their posts no longer appear on your newsfeed.
- Similarly, when you mute their stories, you won’t see their story uploads.
- Facebook does not send you notifications for their posts.
Muting someone is a discreet option in situations when you need to ignore or avoid someone but cannot block or unfriend them. The person you mute won’t be notified about your action since there’s no direct alert.
How to Mute Someone on Facebook
Facebook lets you mute all posts from a user for a temporary period of 30 days. Follow the steps to do so:
1. Open Facebook and navigate to the post from the user who you want to mute.
2. Tap on the three horizontal dots icon at the top-right corner of the post.
3. From the menu, select Snooze <username> for 30 days.
How to Mute Someone on Facebook Story
If you only want to stop viewing someone’s story updates on Facebook, follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Open Facebook and view their uploaded story.
2. Tap on the three horizontal dots icon at the top right corner.
3. Select Mute <user’s> story.
4. Now select the duration: For 24 hours, For 1 week, or Until I unmute it as preferred, and tap on Mute.
How to Mute Someone on Facebook Messenger
Don’t want to connect to someone on Messenger and put a pause on their calls and messages? Here’s how you can mute them. Follow the steps below:
1. Open Messenger and navigate to the user whom you want to mute
2. Press and hold their username in the Chats section.
3. Select Mute from the menu.
4. Now select whether to Mute message notifications, Mute call notifications, or Mute message and call notifications.
5. Tap on OK.
How to Unmute Someone on Facebook
Muting someone inadvertently reduces their presence in your news feed. Now that you wish to hear from them again and re-engage with their posts, you can unmute them. Refer to our guide on How to Unsnooze Someone on Facebook and follow the steps as mentioned.
How to Unmute Someone on Facebook Story
If you’ve muted someone’s Facebook story from appearing on your feed, follow the steps below to unmute them manually.
1. Open Facebook and navigate to their profile.
2. Now long-press their profile picture, and select View story.
3. Tap the three horizontal dots icon at the top right corner.
4. Select Unmute <user’s> story.
How to Unmute Someone on Facebook Messenger
In case you did mute someone on Facebook Messenger earlier but now wish to unmute and engage again in active conversations with them, follow the steps below:
1. Open Messenger and long-press their username in the Chats section.
2. Select the Unmute option from the menu.
Recommended: Does Facebook Notify When You Save a Photo?
We hope this article helped you understand what happens when you mute someone on Facebook. If you have any queries or suggestions for us, do let us know in the comments box below. Stay tuned to TechCult for more such app-related information.