For the safety and security of your computer, it is very important to set a password. It doesn’t let any stranger access or use your PC without your permission. But have you ever thought about what would happen if you forgot the password of your computer? In that case, even you won’t be able to access your computer as entering the set password is the only way to access or use your computer.
But nowadays, you need not worry if you forget your computer password as Windows operating systems are coming with different functionalities using which you can access or use your computer even if you forgot your password. This is possible by recovering the password using different methods. For example, you can recover your computer password using the lock screen. But you can recover the password using a lock screen only if you are using the new version of the Windows operating system and you have a Microsoft account that saves the passwords online. If you use an older version of the Windows operating system or if you do not have a Microsoft account, then you will not be able to recover your password using the lock screen. So, what will you do in such a situation?
Recover Windows 10 Forgotten Passwords with PCUnlocker
Such a situation occurs especially for locally stored passwords where you cannot even change the passwords without knowing the current one. If such a situation occurs, then you need not worry as there is a tool called PCUnlocker which is going to help you in such a situation. So, let’s understand the tool in detail.
What is PCUnlocker?
PCUnlocker is a bootable program that helps you to recover the lost Windows passwords or reset your existing Windows password. It is designed by the Top Password Software Incorporated. Using PCUnlocker, you can recover or reset your local passwords as well as the passwords of your Microsoft account. It is flawless, simple, and easy to use especially for the people having some technical knowledge. The tool is compatible with various versions of Windows operating systems like Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, etc. It supports both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows operating systems.
You can use PCUnlocker when you face any of the below situations:
- Forgot or lost the computer password.
- If you bought a new/used computer and you do not know the password of an already existed account.
- If the person using that computer is fired or quits and did not tell anyone the password of that computer.
- Your password has been changed by hacking your computer or server.
- You need to regain the admin access to a Windows AD (Active Directory) domain controller.
Basically, the PCUnlocker comes with 3 different packages named as follows:
1. Standard: It does not support creating a USB flash drive as a bootable drive which is its biggest limitation.
2. Professional: It does not support booting UEFI-based computers from USB or CDs. This is its sole limitation.
3. Enterprise: It is available without any limitations which makes it a complete solution for restoring Windows password on any PC or computer model.
Different packages have different features and lack other features. So, you need to choose one that is suitable for you according to your requirements and needs.
Now, you may be wondering how to use this PCUnlocker to recover or reset the lost password. So, if you are looking for the answer to the above question, then keep reading this article as in this article, the step by step process is explained to recover Windows 10 forgotten passwords using the PCUnlocker.
Before starting using PCUnlocker to restore the forgotten password, the first thing you need to have is access to another computer because you need to create a bootable drive to restore the password which is not possible to create if you are not logged in.
Once you will have access to another Windows computer, follow the below steps to restore the Windows 10 password using PCUnlocker.
Below are the steps which you need to perform on another computer to create a bootable drive:
1. Download the PCUnlocker using this link.
2. Choose the package among the three available (Standard, Professional, and Enterprise).
Note: Whatever edition or package you choose, the process to obtain PCUnlocker and set it up remains the same for all the three editions or packages.
3. Click on the Download button that is available below the package you want to download.
4. Once the download is completed, you will get a Zip file. Extract the files under the Zip.
5. After extracting the downloaded Zip file, you will get one ISO file and one text file.
6. Now, take any CD or USB drive (recommended). Insert it into the computer and check its drive letter.
7. You need to transfer the extracted ISO file into your USB drive or the CD. To transfer the extracted ISO file to your USB drive or CD, you can use the company’s own ISO burner utility.
Also Read: Permanently Remove The Activate Windows 10 Watermark
How to use ISO burner to burn files to CD or USB drive
To use the company’s ISO burner utility to transfer ISO file to CD or USB drive, follow the below steps:
1. Download the ISO burner utility by using this link.
2. Once the file is downloaded, it will be an exe file.
3. Click on the file and install the application on your Windows PC by following the on-screen instructions.
4. Finally, click on the Finish button to finish the ISO setup and to launch the ISO2Disc.
6. A new dialog box will open up. Click on Browse to add the ISO file path.
7. If you are using a CD/DVD as a bootable drive, select the radio button next to Burn to CD/DVD by using the previously checked drive letter for the same.
8. If you are using a USB drive as the bootable drive, then select the radio button next to Burn to USB Flash Drive by using the previously checked drive letter for the same.
9. Click on the Start Burn button available at the bottom of the dialog box.
10. Wait for a few moments and the ISO file will be transferred to a selected CD/DVD or the USB drive.
11. Once the transferred process is completed, take out the CD/DVD or the USB drive and keep it safe as it has now become your bootable drive.
After completing the above steps, you will get a bootable drive in the form of a CD/DVD or the USB drive.
Recover Windows 10 Forgotten Passwords with PCUnlocker
Now, below are the steps you need to carry out on the computer which is locked or you forgot the password of.
1. Insert the above created bootable drive into the computer whose account is locked or whose password you have forgotten.
2. Now, start your computer by pressing the power button and simultaneously start pressing the F12 key in order to enter the BIOS of your computer.
3. Once the BIOS opens up, you will find different boot options. From Boot priority, make sure to set the first boot priority to CD/DVD or USB drive instead of the hard disk in order to boot your PC with the PCUnlocker.
4. Save the new settings and exit from the BIOS.
5. Now, your system will start booting using the newly inserted bootable drive.
6. Once the system is booted, the PCUnlocker screen will be shown.
7. There will be three steps:
a. Select a recovery mode: Under this, there will be two options of Reset Local Admin/User Password and Reset Active Directory Password. Choose any one option as per your need.
b. Select the Windows SAM registry file: Windows SAM registry file is a database file that stores the login details of the Windows users in an encrypted format. PCUnlocker will automatically detect the file from the Windows operating system. If PCUnlocker failed to detect the file automatically, then you need to browse the file and manually select the file.
c. Select a user account from the list: Under this, you will see the list of users with their account details that are fetched from the SAM file. Select the account for which you are trying to recover the password or want to reset the password.
8. Once the account has been selected for which you want to recover or reset the password, click on the Reset Password button.
9. A dialog box will be popped up for your confirmation. Click on the Yes button to continue.
10. Another dialog box will pop up to enter the new password for the selected account. Enter the new password or you can leave it blank if you do not want to set any password for the selected account.
11. After a few minutes, a dialog box will open up saying a Successful reset password for the account (account name which you have selected).
12. Click on the OK button to continue.
13. Your password has been reset. Now, restart your computer.
Once the computer restarts, if you have set a new password, then login to the Windows operating system by entering that password.
The above solution is the permanent solution for recovering or resetting your Windows or computer password if you have forgotten.
Temporary ByPass the Windows account
If you temporarily want to ByPass the Windows account without resetting the password, then you can also do so by following the below steps.
1. Perform all the steps as mentioned above till the step where you click on the Reset Password button.
2. Once the account is selected you want to ByPass, now instead of clicking on the Reset Password button, click on the Options button which is available at the left side of the reset password button.
3. A menu will open up. Click on the Bypass Windows Password option from the menu that opens up.
4. Restart your computer.
After the computer restarts, you will be temporarily allowed to enter into the system without entering any password but this is not a permanent solution to enter into your system every time if you have forgotten your password. So, it is advised to perform the permanent solution.
- How to Move Installed Programs To Another Drive In Windows 10
- How to Reset Your Password in Windows 10
- Easily Remove Your Login Password From Windows 10
So, by following the above process carefully step by step, you will be able to reset or recover the forgotten Windows 10 password easily using the PCUnlocker.
You might want to add this to your review of PCUlocker:
Technical support is via email only, while normally, that takes up to an hour for a response, prepare for 12 to 48 hours for a response.
I have been waiting 36 hours for a response and ended up having to reload windows to get the machine back into production.
If time has no value to you, as it seems to have very little if any value to them, then this might be a good option, however, I couldn’t say because I couldn’t get it to work.