Kodi, previously XBMC, is a free and open-source media center that lets users access a broad variety of media content by installing add-ons. All major operating devices, including Mac OS, Windows PC, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire Stick, Chromecast, and others, are supported. Kodi allows you to upload your movie library, watch live TV from within the program, and install add-ons to give you access to a range of different ways to pass the time. It is vital to keep Kodi up to date to ensure seamless functioning, but it is not always evident how to do so. Similarly, you can read our guide on How to Speed up Kodi in Windows 10 here.. Similarly, you can read our guide on How to Speed up Kodi in Windows 10 here.. Today, we will teach you how to update Kodi XBMC library automatically and manually.
How to Update XBMC Kodi Library
The Kodi Library is the brains behind everything, so make sure it is up to date. In this way, you will be able to view the most recent TV series and movies uploaded. It can be a hassle to organize if you have a huge library of files or if you update XBMC library frequently. What you need is a means to keep your library organized and up to date without having to continuously add new files to it or execute repeated library upgrades.
Note: If your music collection is relatively static or vice versa, Kodi allows you to alter Video Library & Music Library settings individually.
Why Use Kodi with VPN?
While the Kodi software is open-source, free, and legal, some of the available add-ons allow you to access content illegally. Your local ISP is likely to monitor and report live streaming, TV, and movie plug-ins to the government and business authorities, leaving you exposed every time you go online. Therefore, you may use a Virtual Private Network to shield yourself from spying on the service providers. VPNs operate as a barrier between you and the downloaded content. Read our guide on What is VPN? How it Works?
There are a couple of different methods to accomplish this, fortunately. In this post, we will teach you how to perform XBMC update library process manually or automatically.
If you haven’t yet used this amazing app yet, read our guide on How to Install Kodi.
How to Choose Kodi Update Library Option
Depending on the degree of use and specific demands, we have shown you different alternative ways to update your Kodi library.
- For casual Kodi users with tiny content libraries, simply enabling the default Kodi options to update your library on startup should suffice to keep your library up to date.
- The Library Auto Update add-on is a more comprehensive solution that will automatically update your library without forcing you to restart Kodi.
- Finally, you should utilize Watchdog if you want greater fine-grained control and the ability to have files uploaded to your collection instantly.
Method 1: Update on Kodi Startup
The simplest approach to ensure that your library is maintained up to date is to have Kodi update library on startup itself. Here’s how to do so:
1. Open Kodi app and click the Gear icon at the top of the Home screen to open Settings, as shown.
2. Then, select the Media option.
3. In the Library menu, switch On the toggle for Update library on startup under Video Library & Music Library sections, shown highlighted.
Hereon, Kodi will automatically add the most recent files to the library every time you open the application. However, if you always have Kodi open & running on your device, this will not be very useful.
Also Read: How to Watch Kodi NBA Games
Method 2: Update Manually
You may need to update your library manually when:
- Perhaps you do not require a whole device for routinely updating your material.
- Installing an add-on and setting it up to automatically update your library might not be worth it if you add new stuff to your library every few weeks.
Because this is a built-in feature of Kodi, the process is fairly straightforward. Here is how to manually update your XBMC Kodi library:
1. On the Kodi Home screen, choose any of the side tabs to wish to update e.g. Movies, TV or Music videos.
2. Hit the left arrow key on your keyboard to open the left side menu.
3. To start the update process, click on Update library in the left pane, as shown. This is how you can XBMC update library manually.
Also Read: How to Add Favorites in Kodi
Method 3: Use Kodi Auto-Update Add-on
There is an add-on that may help you set up your Kodi device so that your library is automatically updated at a pre-defined frequency. The Library Auto Update add-on, which can be found in the official Kodi repository, is a terrific way to schedule library refreshes at your leisure. It is easy to set up and use for keeping your collection in order. Here’s how to update XBMC Kodi Library using Add-on:
1. Go to the Add-ons tab in the left pane of the Kodi Home Screen.
2. Click on the open box icon on the left pane of the Add-ons menu, shown highlighted.
3. Select the Install from repository option from the list.
4. Choose the Program add-ons option from the menu, as depicted.
5. Click on Library Auto Update.
6. On the Add-on information page, click on the Install button, shown highlighted.
7. This will start to download and install the add-on. You can view its progress, as shown.
Library Auto Update will refresh once a day by default. Unless you find yourself updating material more regularly, this should suffice for most people.
Also Read: How to Watch NFL on Kodi
Method 4: Install Watchdog Add-on
Scheduled updates are convenient, but they are insufficient if you are frequently adding media files. This is especially true if you have set up an automatic device to record or download new TV programs and want to view them as soon as they become available. In such circumstances, Watchdog is the add-on you need. The Watchdog Kodi add-on provides a unique approach to library updates. Rather than operating on a timer, it monitors your sources in the background and updates them as soon as any changes are identified. Cool, right!
1. Launch Kodi. Go to Add-ons > Add-on browser > Install from repository as instructed in the previous method.
2. Here, click on Services, as depicted.
3. Then, choose Library Watchdog from the list of services.
4. To download and install the add-on, click on the Install button from the bottom-right corner.
You should not have to alter anything by default because it will begin watching your sources and updating the library as soon as anything changes. To keep your menu neat, switch on the cleanup function to remove files from the library if they are destroyed at the source.
Also Read: How to Play Steam Games from Kodi
Pro Tip: How to Choose VPN for Kodi
To guarantee that your VPN does not interfere with Kodi content viewing, make sure it prioritizes the following features:
- Fast download speed: Due to the additional distance data travels as well as encryption overhead, all VPNs impose some delay. This can result in a substantial reduction in video quality, especially if you prefer HD quality. If speed is important to you when using a VPN, be sure your service prioritizes fast server connections.
- Zero-logging policy: A reputed VPN provider follows a rigorous policy against maintaining records of user behavior in addition to encrypting and anonymizing data. Because your confidential information is never saved on an external PC, this provides an extraordinarily high level of protection. If a VPN logging policy is not stated upfront, start looking for a better option.
- Allow all traffic and file types: Some VPNs limit the types of files and traffic that users may download, such as torrents and P2P material. This might effectively render Kodi unusable.
- Availability of servers: Changing virtual locations to access geo-blocked content is one of the main advantages of utilizing a VPN. The more the number of servers a VPN offers, the better suited it is for Kodi streaming.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What is the Kodi library?
Ans. When you first install Kodi, it has no idea where or what your files are. Your media items, such as TV episodes, movies, and music, are stored in the Kodi library. The database contains the locations of all of your media assets, as well as cover art such as movie posters and metadata such as actors, file type, and other information. You should update your library as you add movies and music to your collection so that you can easily access your media using the given menus.
Q2. What happens when the Kodi library is updated?
Ans. When you update your Kodi library, it searches all your data sources to see what movies and TV episodes you have saved. It will use sites like themoviedb.com or thetvdb.com to acquire metadata like actors, narrative, and cover art. Once it understands what type of files it is looking at, it will also detect any files that are no longer available, allowing you to clear up your media library of unnecessary items.
- Top 10 Best Kodi Indian Channels Add-ons
- How to Cut Video in Windows 10 using VLC
- 3 Ways to Stop Spotify From Opening on Startup in Windows 11
- 15 Top Free Sports Streaming Sites
We hope this information was helpful and that you were able to solve how to perform Kodi update library process, manually & automatically. Let us know which of the strategies worked best for you. Also, if you have any queries/suggestions regarding this article, then feel free to drop them in the comments section.