Facebook comments are a generous way to receive views, opinions, and appreciation for your pictures or posts until they become discouraging and annoying. Thus, you might want to turn them off. This guide will explain how to disable comments on Facebook posts.
How To Turn Off Comments on Facebook Posts
Facebook comments that are spam, offensive, or hate speech raise major concerns for users. It not only violates the policies but also affects users personally. The following methods can be performed to either turn off or filter out the comments you receive on a post.
Method 1: Limit Commentors on Post
You can limit the comments received on any particular picture on Facebook. This is done using these steps.
1. Launch the Facebook app.
2. Tap on the hamburger icon at the top-right corner.
3. Tap on the user name of the account you want to disable comments on.
4. Navigate to the particular post and tap on the three horizontal dots at the top-right corner.
5. Tap on the Who can comment on your post? option in the list.
6. The default settings are set to Public. You can change it to any of the options as preferred: Friends and established Followers, Friends, or @Profiles and Pages you mention.
7. Tap on the Done button to save the changes.
Method 2: Turn off Comments on Group Posts
You might have to turn off the comments on the posts if they contradict the principles of the group. These steps can be followed to do the same.
1. Open the Facebook app.
2. Tap on the hamburger icon at the top-right corner and then tap on the Groups tab.
3. Move into your group and then tap on the three horizontal dots at the top-right corner of the post.
4. Tap on the Turn off commenting option in the list to turn off comments on the Facebook post.
Method 3: Set Universal Settings for Posts on Facebook Page
If you want to avoid the hassle of turning off the comments in the posts of individual accounts and groups on Facebook, you can set the same setting for all the posts in the Facebook account for individual posts as well as posts in Groups.
Method 3A: Select Default Audience
You can follow this method if you want to allow comments only from your friends and followers on Facebook. Following these steps, the post will only be visible to the users you want while hiding it from the rest.
1. Open the Facebook app.
2. On the home page, tap on the hamburger icon at the top right corner.
3. Tap on the gear icon.
4. Now tap on Privacy Checkup.
5. Hit Who can see what you share.
6. Tap on Continue.
7. Tap on Next.
8. Under Posts and stories, tap on the drop-down arrow for Default audience.
9. Now, select any of the given options as preferred: Public, Friends, Friends except, Specific friends, or Only me.
Method 3B: Moderate Content on Facebook
Note: This method is only applicable to filter out comments on the posts of a public page on Facebook.
To ensure that you do not receive any offensive comments on any picture or post, you can use the Content moderation filter on Facebook. Any comment not related to the post and the related hashtags will be filtered and hidden.
1. Open the Facebook app and switch to your page.
2. Tap on the Hamburger icon and navigate to Settings and privacy.
3. Tap on Settings.
4. Now tap on Page Settings as shown in the picture.
5. Hit the Public posts option.
6. Scroll down to navigate Content moderation and then tap on the Profanity filter.
7. Toggle on the Enable profanity filter setting on the page.
Note: The comments blocked on the posts by this setting use the list of offensive keywords reported by users on Facebook.
Method 3C: Set Text Filters for Comments
Similar to the previous setting to prevent and hide offensive comments based on keywords, this feature also helps narrow down the comments. The only difference between the settings is that, in this case, you can set the keyword list manually and not base it on the reported keywords.
Note: It is best to include the set of keywords with various characters as given in the description.
1. In the Facebook app, switch to your page.
2. Tap the hamburger icon and navigate to Settings and privacy.
3. Tap on Settings and then on Page settings.
4. Hit the Public posts option.
5. Tap on the Blocklist filter option in the Content moderation section.
4. In the text box, type the keywords and tap on the Save button to filter comments on your Facebook posts.
Also Read: How to Sort Instagram Comments
Method 3D: Review Tags on Posts
If you have been tagged in a post with offensive comments, you can change the review tags set. This would ask for your review and let you know of all the posts you have been tagged in. It would also help you in taking any necessary action.
1. On your page, navigate to Page settings.
2. Tap on the Page and Tagging option.
3. In the Reviewing section, tap on Review posts that you’re tagged in before the post appears on your Page?
4. Toggle on the Review posts you’re tagged in.
Method 4: Use Third-Party Apps or Extensions
As a final resort to turning off comments on Facebook pictures, you can install a third-party tool to block them automatically. This would save you a lot of time and you won’t have to deal with the hassle of reading all the comments.
Note: We do not endorse any such apps that offer such services; therefore, use these at your discretion.
Method 4A: Using Chrome Extensions
There are two reliable Chrome extensions that you can enable to block unwanted and offensive comments on your social media handles.
1. Shut Up: Comment Blocker
Shut Up is a Chrome extension that provides more control over your social media accounts by hiding the comments. As it aids in comment management, it is best suited for creators and business pages. The only downside of the extension is that it is not suited for the Facebook mobile app. It works only while using the Facebook web.
2. Hide Comments Everywhere
Hide Comments Everywhere is a convenient Chrome extension used to block comments. The best part is that it can be used to block comments even on cross-social media platforms.
Also Read: 25 Best Chrome Extensions Games
Method 4B: Using Smart Moderation Tool
Smart Moderation Tool is an intelligent software used to moderate the comments section of Facebook posts. It can be used to reply, delete, hide, and block comments from abusive users, and thus help in managing haters and troll comments on Facebook and Instagram.
Users often encounter bullying and harassment on Facebook and other social media platforms through comments. While it is worthwhile to address the issue, turning off comments might help you protect your mental peace. We hope our guide helps you with that. Thank you for reading. Feel free to share with us any more suggestions or queries and we will resolve them.