Determining the age of iPhones is tricky, as anyone who has ever owned one will tell you. But understanding and knowing how to tell when an iPhone is old enough to be replaced can be essential for some people. So, in this article, we will answer the commonly asked questions, like how old is my iPhone and how to check if iPhone is refurbished or new. We will also break the myth if iPhones only last 2 years by finding out what is the oldest iPhone that still works.
How Old is My iPhone? How to Tell How Long you have had Your iPhone?
So, you want to check how old is my iPhone. It is important infor for many of us because:
- we need to check for warranty coverage
- when you bought the phone before selling it again,or
- especially when you might have lost your purchase receipt.
The main problem is that different manufacturers calculate age of device or duration of usage differently. Here are some methods you can use:
- Phone purchase receipt: Read the purchase receipt of the phone to get the exact duration of how long you have had your iPhone.
- Manufacturing codes: The caveat of these codes is that they are OEM-specific. Some of these are *#197328640#*, *#*#197328640#*#* and *#0000#*. Just open your phone Dialer app and place the call after entering these codes. If it works, a secret service menu will open up, and you can see the manufacturing date of your device.
How to Check If iPhone is Refurbished or New?
If you are buying a Phone, you may want to know whether it was refurbished or bought a new model. Here are the steps that will help you to know to check if iPhone is refurbished or new.
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on General.
3. Tap on About.
4. Look for the Model and then read the model number next to it.
Note: The model number looks something like this: MN123FF/A, here the first character will help you in knowing if the device is refurbished or not.
- M: Brand new device, the device was purchased new.
- F: Refurbished device, the device has been refurbished and then sold again.
- N: Replacement device, generally changed due to service request.
- P: Personalized device with engraving.
If the model number starts with F, the device is refurbished.
Also Read: How to Tell If Your iPhone Has a Virus
How Can You Tell How Long You’ve had Your iPhone?
Finding out how old is my iPhone always helps if you are looking to sell it or exchange it. Here are the steps that will help you to find out how to check when you got your iPhone.
1. Open Settings on your iPhone.
2. Note your Apple ID from the top.
3. Now, visit the Apple Support Page on your browser.
4. Then, click on Sign in to My Support and Sign in with your Apple ID and password.
5. Now, you will see all your purchased and activated devices with the same Apple ID.
6. Click on the desired device you want to know the date of purchase.
7. Now, after clicking on it, you can see the date of purchase of the device.
Also Read: How Long Do iPhone Chargers Last?
How Long Should an iPhone Last?
According to Apple, if you use your iPhone normally, you could expect a lifespan of about 3 years. But you might notice a decline in performance after 2 years. Generally, these phones receive software updates within nearly 5 years. So, if the device is well maintained and without any significant issues in hardware, you can use it for about 7 years. So, we can say that it should last anywhere between 3-5 years on normal usage, and if used very well, it can be extended to 5+ years.
Do iPhones Last Longer Than Androids?
Yes, iPhones last longer than Android phones. It is mainly because Apple makes its own software, known as iOS, and its own processors, known as bionic chips. As Apple makes its own software and hardware, it can optimize the phone efficiently, and that is why they last longer than most Androids. It will not matter if you use your phone roughly.
Why Do iPhones Only Last 2 Years?
A lot depends on the way it is used. But mainly after 2 years, a number of issues creep up:
- declining performance,
- reduced battery life,
- lack of software support,
- and in some cases, physical damage to the device itself.
The main reason that it only lasts for 2 years is the way we use them and the frequency of OS updates.
Can an iPhone Last 10 Years?
Yes, probably, it can last if used properly. However, we are not considering battery health as we may consider the battery change after some years. If you don’t change its battery, it can last up to 6-8 years.
What is the Oldest iPhone That Still Works?
iPhone 2G is the oldest iPhone that still works in 2022. It was launched in 2007.
However, if you are living in the US, the oldest model for you will be iPhone 3G.
How Often Should You Replace Your iPhone?
There is no specific time when you should replace it as it is entirely dependent on the use case. If we were about to give a specific year after which you should replace it, it might be after 3-4 years.
How Much is the iPhone 2G Worth Now?
As it was the first iPhone to feature a touch screen, people are crazy about it. Its price is around $10,000 as it is now collected as an old antique item.
- How to Watch TikTok without App
- How to Fix All Contact Names Disappeared on iPhone
- How to Check If Anyone Is Spying on Your Phone
- How To Check Apple Warranty Status
So, we hope that you have understood how to check how old is my iPhone and the oldest iPhone that still works. Feel free to reach out to us with your queries and suggestions via the comments section below. Also, let us know what you want to learn about next.