Roku was one of the first businesses to transform web-based streaming into a standalone app-driven platform. They manufacture some of the top-of-the-line TVs on the market. Jailbreaking a device enables it to have more features than it currently does. In this article, we will discuss if a Roku TV can be jailbroken and how to do it.
Table of Contents
How to Jailbreak Roku
It’s not possible to jailbreak any Roku device. However, there are still alternative methods that you can explore to achieve your desired outcomes. You can screen mirror media from a Windows laptop on Roku TV:
1. Choose System in Settings of the Roku device.
2. Select Screen mirroring and then select Prompt.
3. Go to Settings on PC and select Add Bluetooth or other device.
4. Select Wireless display or dock and then choose Roku. Click Allow to make the changes.
Can a Roku be Jailbroken?
No. Since Roku OS is a closed-system software, you cannot jailbreak any Roku device, including the Roku TV and streaming devices. As an alternative to jailbreaking, there are still workarounds that can help you. Let’s go through the methods.
Method 1: Screen Mirroring
You need an Android smartphone or a Windows computer. This will help you in accessing media on your one device to your Roku TV with ease. It is advised to remember that you will be unable to use your device while screen mirroring it on the TV. These are the steps on how to enable screen mirroring:
1. Go to Settings on your Roku device and choose System.
2 Now from the options select the Screen mirroring option.
3. Select Prompt in Screen mirroring mode.
4. Now, open Settings on the Windows PC and choose Devices.
5. Select Add Bluetooth or other device.
6. Now choose Wireless display or dock.
7. Select Roku from the list of options.
8. Click on Done once you are connected and choose Allow on the Roku device.
Method 2: Screen Casting
Screen casting will only work with some compatible applications. Kodi does not support casting. Casting is compatible with Netflix and YouTube, but the content is shown without menu bars or status symbols. Let’s take an example of YouTube:
1. Go to the Roku Home page and select the search bar.
2. In the search bar type YouTube and select YouTube from the list.
3. Select Add channel.
4. Open a YouTube video that you want to view.
5. Select the Cast option at the top right corner of the screen.
6. Now select your Roku device from the given list.
The video will start casting on your selected Roku device.
Method 3: Using Roku Mobile App
Play on Roku is an application by Roku. You can use the app to send content from your smartphone to Roku. Unfortunately, Kodi and Netflix are not supported by this method but you can still enjoy numerous other platforms.
Note: Before beginning with the steps, ensure both devices are connected to the same network.
1. Install the Play on Roku mobile app on your device.
2. Log in to the application, using your Roku email and password.
3. Tap on Devices at the bottom right corner of the screen.
4. Choose your Roku TV or Roku Streaming Stick from the list.
6. Tap on Media.
Once you are done with all the steps, simply choose the content you want to play.
Method 4: Using Local Network
People who have a local home network can download media. This method lets you stream content from your smartphone over your home network to Roku streaming devices. All you need is a Roku media player to use this method.
1. Open the Roku home screen, and select the search bar.
2. Type Roku Media Player in the search bar.
3. From the results, select Roku Media Player.
4. Select Add Channel to include the player on your device.
5. Go back to Roku home screen and launch the media player.
If your local network is accessible to media, the network should now show up on your Roku streaming device.
6. Now select the media which you want to stream on Roku.
- How to Delete GOAT Account
- 9 Best Free Movie Streaming Apps in 2023
- How to Watch Local Channels on Roku
We hope that our guide on how to jailbreak Roku has helped you understand the procedure better. If you have any more questions or suggestions, please feel free to comment. We would love to help!