When someone’s location is grey, that means that it is not available now for communication. You might have also come across iPhone share my location is grayed out, or iPhone share my location not working issue on your iPhone. These issues often occur and befuddle iPhone users with no explanation of how to fix them. But don’t worry! In this article, we will discuss the causes and the methods to fix how to fix location services greyed out on iPhone and share my location not working iPhone 12 issues comprehensively. So, read until the end to get the answers you need to use the iPhone Share My Location feature seamlessly on your iOS device. Now, let’s get started!
Table of Contents
Read this article till the end to learn the steps demonstrating how to fix iPhone share my location is grayed out problem in a detailed manner using the pictures for better understanding.
Before discussing how to fix iPhone share my location is grayed out issue, let’s first discuss the causes of this issue.
- This problem might be caused if you have the incorrect date & time settings on your iPhone.
- If you have not signed in with your Apple ID and your location services are switched off, this issue can be caused.
- On your iPhone, if Share My Location is disabled, you may come across this problem.
- Other causes of this issue are internet connection problems and outdated maps.
To fix iPhone share my location is grayed out issue follow the methods given below by us.
Method 1: Restart iPhone
You can fix iPhone share my location not working issue by opting for this method. You can reboot your device to fix temporary problems and to have a fully working device by restarting it. When you restart your iPhone, your system gets refreshed from bugs and glitches. You can read our article on How to Restart iPhone X to learn how to restart iPhone.
Method 2: Set Correct Date and Time Settings
To learn how to set the date and time settings on your iPhone to fix iPhone share my location is grayed out issue follow the given steps.
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on the General option.
3. Then, tap on the Date & Time option.
4. Turn on the toggle for the Set Automatically option.
Also Read: Top 7 Fixes for Background App Refresh Not Working on iPhone
Method 3: Force Close Find My App
When your iPhone share my location is not working or grayed out, close all background apps on your device, including the Find My app. By closing the background apps, you can try to resolve the issue. Follow the steps given below to force close the apps on your iPhone:
- On iPhone X or the latest model of iPhone: Swipe upwards from the bottom and stop at the middle of your screen to see all the apps that you have used recently.
- On iPhone 8 or an earlier model of iPhone: Double-click the home button to see the apps you have recently used.
After that all the background apps will come up, close them and prevent them from running in the background to fix the location services greyed out on your iPhone issue.
Method 4: Re-Sign into iCloud
You have to sign out and sign back into iCloud to share your location on your iPhone. To learn that, follow the given steps.
1. Open Settings on your iPhone.
2. Tap on the Apple ID from the top.
3. Tap on Subscriptions.
4. Tap on Sign Out.
5. Re-Sign in with Apple ID and password.
Method 5: Enable Share My Location
To enable the Share My Location option, follow the given steps.
1. Go to the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Then, tap on your Apple ID from the top.
3. Then, tap on the Find My option.
4. Turn on the toggle for the Share My Location option.
Also Read: 10 Fixes for Google Maps Location Sharing Not Updating
Method 6: Enable Location Services
If your location services feature is turned on, only the iPhone can track your location. So, to know how to enable location services, read and follow the steps given below.
1. Launch iPhone Settings and tap on the Privacy & Security option.
2. Next, tap on the Location services option.
3. Then, turn on the toggle for the Location Services option.
4. Tap on the Share My Location option from the same menu.
5. Turn on the toggle for the Share My Location option.
Method 7: Enable Precise Location for Maps
You can fix location services greyed out on iPhone by enabling Precise Location for the Maps app. To find location details, correct location data is needed by various apps, like Apple Maps, Google Maps, Uber, etc. Follow this method to learn how to do that.
1. Open Settings on your iPhone.
2. Tap on Location Services > Maps.
Note: You can select any other app from the Location Services menu for which you want to turn on the Precise Location.
3. Turn on the toggle for the Precise Location option.
4. After you are done, open the Maps app or any other relevant app to see if it detects the correct location or not.
Method 8: Enable Background App Refresh
To enable background app refresh, follow the given steps.
1. From the iPhone Settings, tap on General > Background App Refresh.
2. Then, tap on the Background App Refresh option from the top.
3. Tap on Wi-Fi & Mobile Data to select it.
Method 9: Update iPhone
By updating your iPhone to the latest version, you can get rid of all the bugs that might be causing this issue. Try the given steps to update your iPhone.
1. Navigate to Settings on your iPhone.
2. Then, tap on the General option.
3. Tap on the Software Update option.
4. Tap on the Download and Install option.
Note: If a message appears asking you to temporarily remove apps because iOS needs more space for the update, tap on Continue or Cancel.
5A. If you want the update to occur immediately, tap on the Install option.
5B. Or, if you tap on Install Tonight and plug your iOS device into power before you sleep, your device will be updated automatically overnight.
Note: You are also given the option to install the software later by choosing to Remind Me Later.
Also Read: How to Freeze Location on Find My iPhone
Method 10: Disable Restrictions
If you have put restrictions on the Location Services and Share My Location option, you may face the Share My Location not working iPhone 12 issue. So, disable the restrictions by following the steps mentioned below.
1. First, navigate to the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Then, tap on Screen Time > Content Privacy & Restrictions.
3. Tap on Location Services > Allow Changes.
4. Then, turn on the toggle for the Location Services option.
5. Next, tap on the Share My Location option and turn on the toggle for the Share My Location option.
Method 11: Turn Off Low Power Mode
Some features on your iPhone are disabled when you turn on Low Power Mode to preserve the device battery. When the iPhone low power mode is turned on, the color of the battery level on your device changes to yellow, which was initially green. The Low Power Mode feature is enabled as soon as the battery percentage on your iPhone falls below 20 percent. Therefore, if you want to preserve the battery life of your phone, you can keep your device in Low Power Mode all the time.
But to fix the iPhone share my location is grayed out issue, you will have to turn it off. You can follow the steps given below to turn off Low Power Mode.
1. Launch iPhone Settings.
2. Tap on the Battery option.
3. Turn off the toggle for the Low Power Mode option.
Method 12: Disable Low Data Mode
By disabling low data mode, you might fix the issue. So, follow the steps given below to learn how to disable low data mode.
Method 12A: Disable Low Data Mode for Wi-Fi
To disable low data mode on Wi-Fi, you can abide by the following steps.
1. Go to the Settings app on your iPhone and tap on the Wi-Fi option.
2. Next, tap on the i icon next to your connected network.
3. Then, turn off the toggle for the Low Data Mode option.
Method 12B: Disable Low Data Mode for Mobile Data
To disable low data mode on mobile data, you can follow the steps given below.
1. Open iPhone Settings.
2. Tap on Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Data Mode.
3. Then, tap on Standard to turn off the low data mode.
Also Read: How to Check Someone’s Location on iPhone
Method 13: Reset Location & Privacy Settings
You can try to fix the issue if you reset the location and privacy settings on your phone. Follow the steps given below.
1. Launch the Settings app on your device.
2. Then, tap on the General option.
3. Tap on Transfer or Reset iPhone option.
4. Then, tap on the Reset > Reset Location & Privacy options from the drop-down menu.
5. Then, enter your device passcode and follow the onscreen instructions to complete resetting location and privacy settings.
After this, check to see if location services are working perfectly.
- Why is iPhone Better Than Android?
- How to Fix iPhone XR Stuck on Apple Logo
- How to Make Find My iPhone Say No Location Found
- How to View Location History in Google Maps
We hope you learned how to fix iPhone share my location is grayed out issue. Feel free to reach out to us with your queries and suggestions via the comments section below. Also, let us know what you want to learn about next.