When you install a new app in Windows 10, you automatically give permission to the app to run in the background in order to download data, fetch new data and receive. Even if you never open the app, it will still drain your battery by running in the background. Anyway, users don’t seem to like this feature very much, so they are looking for a way to stop Windows 10 apps from running in the background.
The good news is that Windows 10 allows you to disable background apps via Settings. Don’t worry, and you can either disable background apps completely or disable particular apps you don’t want to run in the background. So without wasting any time, let’s see How to Disable Background Apps in Windows 10 with the help of the below-listed tutorial.
Table of Contents
How to Disable Background Apps in Windows 10
Make sure to create a restore point just in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: Disable Background Apps in Windows 10 Settings
1. Press Windows Key + I to open Settings then click on Privacy.
2. Now, from the left-hand menu, click on Background apps.
3. Next, disable the toggle “Let apps run in the background“.
4. If in future, you need to enable background apps to turn ON the toggle again.
5. Also, if you don’t want to disable background apps, you could still disable individual apps to run in the background.
6. Under Privacy > Background apps, look for “Choose which apps can run in the background”.
7. Under “Choose which apps can run in the background” disable the toggle for individual apps.
8. Reboot your PC to save changes.
This is How to Disable Background Apps in Windows 10, but if this method didn’t work, you would continue to the next one.
Method 2: Disable Background Apps in Registry
1. Press Windows Key + R then type regedit and hit Enter to open Registry Editor.
2. Navigate to the following registry location:
3. Right-click on BackgroundAccessApplications then select New > DWORD (32-bit) value.
4. Name this newly created DWORD as GlobalUserDisabled and hit Enter.
5. Now double-click on GlobalUserDisabled DWORD and change it’s value to the following and click OK:
Disable Background Apps: 1
Enable Background Apps: 0
6. Close everything and reboot your PC.
Method 3: Disable Background Apps in Command Prompt
1. Open Command Prompt. The user can perform this step by searching for ‘cmd’ and then press Enter.
2. Type the following command into cmd and hit Enter:
To Disable Background Apps: Reg Add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\BackgroundAccessApplications /v GlobalUserDisabled /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f To Enable Background Apps: Reg Add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\BackgroundAccessApplications /v GlobalUserDisabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
3. Close cmd and restart your PC.
- Enable or Disable AutoPlay in Windows 10
- Manually Start Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10
- Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10
- Stop Windows 10 from Automatic Deleting Thumbnail Cache
That’s it, you successfully learned How to Disable Background Apps in Windows 10, but if you still have any questions regarding this tutorial, then feel free to ask them in the comment’s section.