The problem of can’t find the app on iPhone has been brought up by numerous people who have experienced it. Numerous factors could be at play in the iPhone app disappearing, but we’ve provided a list of potential solutions that can help you get your device’s missing app icons back. Examining the potential answers, let’s begin with the troubleshooting methods to fix this issue.
Table of Contents
How to Fix Can’t Find App on iPhone
Sometimes when you update your iOS, some apps go missing. These apps frequently revert to the default position on the home screen. So, check your home screen first if you are collecting your apps into groups and folders. It doesn’t matter if your iPhone has a hidden app, a missing app, or if you’ve just deleted an app, you can still find it. Follow the methods below to fix the iPhone app disappeared error.
Follow the below steps to find missing apps on your iPhone:
1. Tap and hold on the empty space on Home Screen.
2. Tap on the dotted icons at the bottom.
3. Select the home screen pages and tap on Done to reveal the pages.
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
Before moving forward with the advanced troubleshooting methods, you can begin with some basic hacks that will help you to fix can’t find apps on iPhone issue using simple steps.
1A. Restart iPhone
There will be times when you may come across this error. In this case, you can try to restart or reboot your device to refresh the system from freezing and glitches. You can check out our article on How to Restart iPhone X to learn how to restart.
1B. Force Restart iPhone
If you are facing the issue, you should try to force restart your iPhone. When you force restart your device, the error apps disappeared from iPhone home screen iOS 14 can be fixed. To know how you can force restart your iPhone, check out our article on How to Force Restart iPhone X.
Method 2: Find App in Folder
Do you like to organize your apps within folders according to specific categories? If so, it is possible that your lost or hidden apps are within these folders as it is quite common to forget about them. Accordingly, don’t forget to swipe through every screen in each folder because you need to keep in mind that each folder may contain multiple pages or screens. Look for a series of tiny dots in the bottom center of each folder these represent the number of new pages in that folder.
Method 3: Command Siri to Open App
You can ask Siri to open the apps that have disappeared from the Home Screen. Siri can open apps for you and it’s straightforward. Just ask! You can simply say Hey, Siri open my Spotify App (replace Spotify with any other desired app name which you are searching on your iPhone). You can set up Siri with the help of the following steps to command it to open any of your phone apps.
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Then, tap on the Siri & Search option.
3. Turn on the toggle for the Listen for “Hey Siri” option.
Also Read: How to Reset Siri on iPhone
Method 4: Use Spotlight Search
If you rarely use an app, you may not want it to get added to your Home Screen. In this case, follow the steps below to swiftly find and open the downloaded app.
1. To access the Search bar, swipe down from the center of your Home Screen.
2. Tap on the Search option from the bottom center of the screen, as shown.
3. In the search field, type the missing app name.
4. Tap on the search results to launch the app on your iPhone.
Method 5: Find App in App Library
If none of the above-mentioned methods helped you to find the missing app icon on your iPhone, you can try this method. All of the iPhone apps, even those that are not on the Home Screen, can be found in the App Library. To locate the missing apps, follow these steps:
1. Go to the rightmost page of the Home Screen and swipe from right to left to open App Library.
2. Tap on the search bar to get a list of apps in alphabetical order.
3. Type the app name in the search bar.
4. Finally, tap and hold the app icon and choose the Add to Home Screen option.
Also Read: How to Put App Back on Home Screen on iPhone
Method 6: Unhide Home Screen Page
It’s possible that you may have hidden the Home Screen Page that contains the app icon if you can find the app using Spotlight Search and the App Library but cannot seem to find its icon. To reveal the home screen, abide by these steps:
1. Tap and hold anywhere on the empty space on Home Screen.
2. Now, tap on the dotted icons from the bottom to edit the Home Screen pages.
3. Select the home screen pages to select them and tap on Done.
Method 7: Find Installed App on App Store
If the problem with app icons disappearing only affects one or two apps, check to see if the app is actually installed on your device by opening the App Store. Here are the steps to find apps missing from your iPhone home screen through App Store:
1. Open the App Store app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on the Search tab and search for the desired app using the search bar.
3A. If you do not see the Open option, this means that you have not installed the app on your device. For this, simply tap on the Get option and wait until the app is successfully downloaded and installed.
3B. If the Open option is available and the app is still unavailable on your device, move on to the next troubleshooting method.
Also Read: Top 50 Best Free iPhone Apps
Method 8: Unhide Purchased Apps
If the app isn’t available in the App Store, why is it showing up on your home screen? That suggests that you might have hidden your purchases. If that is the case, neither you nor any additional family sharing members will be able to access the apps in the App Store. Here is how to unhide them and fix can’t find app on iPhone error:
1. Open App Store on your iPhone.
2. Now, tap on your Profile picture in the top right corner.
3. Then, tap on your Apple ID from the top.
4. Swipe down and tap on Hidden Purchases.
5. Lastly, tap on the Unhide option present next to the desired app.
Method 9: Disable Offload Apps Feature
The feature Offload Unused Apps was introduced in iOS 11. It is an easy way for users to save and optimize their storage. This feature accordingly offloads the apps that you don’t use anymore or you use that app very rarely when you’re low on storage. These apps remain on your home screen, but the icon appears greyed out and will have the small cloud logo next to them. Follow the steps below to disable offload apps to fix can’t find app on iPhone error:
1. Navigate to Settings on your iPhone.
2. Then, tap on App Store.
3. Turn off the toggle for the Offload Unused Apps option.
Method 10: Unhide Restricted Apps
By hiding the app icons, the iPhone’s screen time feature can help you set a limit on how much time you spend using each app. Using this feature, you can conceal applications like Mail, Safari, Camera, etc. On the off chance that you restricted any of these apps on your iPhone, they won’t show up in the spotlight search or the App library.
1. Navigate to Settings on your iPhone and tap on Screen Time.
2. Tap on Content & Privacy Restrictions.
3. Then, tap on Allowed Apps and toggle on all the apps.
4. Now, return to the Content & Privacy Restrictions screen and tap on Content Restrictions.
5. Lastly, go to Apps and select Allow.
Method 11: Unlink Home Screen from Focus
If your iPhone’s entire home screen keeps disappearing, you might have connected Home Screens to Focus Profiles. In essence, you can configure which Home Screen pages show up and which ones disappear when a specific Focus Profile is enabled. Follow the steps below to fix this issue:
1. Open Settings on your iPhone and tap on Focus.
2. Now, tap on each Focus profile one by one.
3. Tap on the Choose option under the home screen preview in CUSTOMISE SCREENS section.
4. Then, tap on the selection box under the selected Home Screen page to uncheck it.
5. Lastly, repeat the steps for all the Focus profiles.
Also Read: Fix App Store Missing on iPhone
Method 12: Free Up Storage Space
This is another method that has worked out for many iPhone apps missing from home screen issue. Follow the steps below to clear up the storage space and to fix can’t find app on iPhone error:
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Then, tap on General > iPhone Storage.
3. After that, a list of apps will appear with the specified details like the space used by each on your iPhone.
4. Tap on Show All to see the suggestions list and proceed accordingly.
- iOS will push you to utilize the iCloud Photo Library, which stores your photos in the cloud.
- It will also recommend Auto Delete Old Conversations from the iMessage app.
- However, the best solution is to Offload Unused Apps.
When you run out of storage space, it instantly offloads apps that are rarely used and performs iPhone system storage cleanup. Offloading is a method that deletes the application but maintains the papers and data, which are irreparable. The deleted app can be easily re-downloaded if and when needed. iOS will also inform you about the amount of space you would free up if you use this feature.
Note 1: Disabling Offload Unused Apps must be done from Settings > iTunes & App Store. It cannot be undone from this menu.
Note 2: Examine the storage space occupied by various media, apps, messages, and so on. You need to make sure that the iPhone has at least 1GB of free storage space to work with.
Method 13: Reset Home Screen Layout
This is another quick method to locate your missing apps like Camera, App Store, etc is to arrange them in alphabetical order. All you need to do is reset your Home Screen by the following the steps below:
1. Open Settings on your iPhone.
2. Then, tap on the General option.
3. Now, swipe down to the bottom and select Transfer or Reset iPhone.
4. Tap on Reset.
5. Next, tap on Reset Home Screen Layout from the resulting menu.
6. From the following popup, tap on Reset Home Screen to confirm the action.
- How to Cancel Amazon Prime Video
- 20 Best Music Making Apps for iPhone and iPad
- 8 Ways to Fix Safari App Disappeared from iPad or iPhone
- How to Open Applications Folder on Mac
We hope that you learned about how to fix the can’t find the app on iPhone issue. Feel free to reach out to us with your queries and suggestions via the comments section below. Also, let us know what you want to learn about next.