Identifying your MacBook Pro’s model serial number can help determine whether it still qualifies for warranty service. It can also aid in evaluating its maintenance cost and potential resale value. In this guide, we’ll discuss how you can determine the year of launch for your Mac device model using the serial number.
What is My MacBook Pro Launch Year?
Knowing the launch year of your MacBook Pro. The upcoming section will help you understand how to locate this information.
To find out the launch year of your MacBook Pro, you can follow these steps:
1. Click on the Apple menu in the top left corner of your screen.
2. Select About This Mac from the drop-down menu.
3. A new window will appear, showing you information about your MacBook Pro. Look for the Overview tab and click on it.
4. You should see the launch year of your MacBook Pro listed next to the Model Name and Model Identifier.
How to Do MacBook Pro Serial Number Check?
Below are the various ways through which you can find out the serial number of your Mac:
Method 1: On Product or Packaging
To find the serial number of your MacBook, you can also check the bottom of the device or its original packaging.
Method 2: From Apple Menu
After gaining insights on what year is my Mac, now let’s discuss how you can find the serial number. Make use of the Apple menu to check the serial number of your device, follow the steps given below to identify the serial number:
1. Click on the Apple Menu icon from the upper-left corner.
2. Then, click on the About This Mac option.
3. Locate Mac’s Serial Number in the Overview tab, as shown below.
Method 3: From System Report
You can also access the System Report if you want to see other details about your Mac, including the serial number and model name. Let’s see how to do that:
1. Press and hold the Option key on your Mac keyboard while navigating the Apple menu > System Information menu.
2. Then, click on the System Report option.
3. Click on the Hardware option from the left pane.
4. Then, locate the Mac Serial Number and Model Name on the right.
Method 4: From iCloud Account
By signing in to your iCloud account, you can find your MacBook Pro’s serial number. To do so, read and follow the steps mentioned below:
1. First, visit the iCloud website on your browser.
2. Click on Sign In.
3. Then, Sign in to your iCloud account using your Apple ID and password.
4. Then, click on the Devices tab from the left pane.
5. Select your Mac device from the list to see its model name and serial number.
Also Read: Where to Find Passwords on Mac?
Method 5: Through Terminal
The Terminal can also be used to get the serial number of your Mac. Let’s see how to use it:
1. Navigate to the Utilities on your Mac and click on Terminal from the list.
2. Then, enter the following command in the Terminal window.
3. Next, press the Return key. After this, the terminal window will display the model name and the serial number of your Mac.
What is My MacBook Pro Launch Year?
To gain insights on the launch year of your Mac device, read and follow the methods discussed below:
Method 1: From Apple Menu
Apple uses two primary factors, time period and year, to differentiate between different MacBook models. To identify your MacBook Pro model or check its production year, follow the steps outlined below:
1. Click on the Apple Menu icon located in the upper-left corner of your screen.
2. After that, click on the About This Mac option from the drop-down menu.
3. Locate your Mac’s Model name and year under the Overview tab. In the illustration shared below, the model year of the Mac is 2020.
Also Read: How to Find Hidden Things on iPhone
Method 2: On Apple Support Page
To check the model number and year of your Mac, you can also navigate to the Apple Support site. However, you need your Mac’s serial number for this method. To learn how to check the year and model number, refer to the steps below.
1. Locate the Mac serial number with the steps mentioned above in this article.
2. After getting the serial number, visit the Apple Check Device Coverage page.
3. Enter the Mac serial number and the CAPTCHA code in the respective fields.
4. Click on Submit. The model and year of your Mac will be displayed.
What are the MacBook Pro Models by Year?
To make yourself familiar with the Pro models by year, have a look at the table given below:
|MacBook Pro Model||Year||Model Identifier|
|MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2023)||2023||Mac14,5, Mac14,9|
|16-inch, 2023||2023||Mac14,6, Mac14,10|
|13-inch, M2, 2022||2022||Mac14,7|
|13-inch, M1, 2020||2020||MacBookPro17,1|
|13-inch, 2020, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports||2020||MacBookPro16,3|
|13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports||2020||MacBookPro16,2|
|13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports||2019||MacBookPro15,4|
|15-inch, 2019||2019||MacBookPro15,1, MacBookPro15,3|
|13-inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports||2019||MacBookPro15,2|
|13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports||2018||MacBookPro15,2|
|13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports||2017||MacBookPro14,2|
|13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports||2017||MacBookPro14,1|
|13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports||2016||MacBookPro13,2|
|13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports||2016||MacBookPro13,1|
|Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015||2015||MacBookPro11,4,
|Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015||2015||MacBookPro12,1|
- Tinder Platinum vs Gold: Which is Better?
- How to Fix macOS Monterey Wi-Fi Network Issues
- Apple is Considering Higher Model than Pro Max
- 9 Ways to Make Your Mac Start Up Faster
We hope after reading our article you were able to identify what year is my MacBook Pro model. If you have any suggestions or queries, mention them in the comment section below. As we keep coming up with interesting and insightful articles, visit our page frequently to explore them.