If you are looking for free space on your android device. Consider emptying the trash to get some free space. In the case of PC, recycle bin is there where the deleted files go after being deleted but in the case of android, because of having low storage we have nothing as such. So, how to empty the trash on android. Continue reading the article to know about where is the trash can on my android and how to empty trash.
- 7 Quick Ways to Empty Trash to Free up Storage Space on Android
- Method 1: Clear Cached Data
- Method 2: Delete Downloaded Files
- Method 3: Clear Chrome Cache
- Method 4: Uninstall Unused Apps
- Method 5: Delete Duplicate Google Photos
- Method 6: Delete Duplicate Emails from Gmail
- Method 7: Store Files on SD Card
7 Quick Ways to Empty Trash to Free up Storage Space on Android
Low Storage issues can be caused due to unwanted trash stored on your device. So, to increase your device storage, you need to clear those unwanted cache files. In this article, we have shown how to empty trash on Android tablet.
Note: Since Smartphones do not have the same settings option, and they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, hence ensure the correct settings before changing any. The following methods are from Samsung GalaxyM21 device.
Method 1: Clear Cached Data
Clearing cached data will free up space on our android but before proceeding on how to do that. You would want to know what is cached files. Cached files are the temporary files that the app uses in the background to make your usage faster. However, it does take up space. Follow the steps below to clear cached data.
1. Open Settings on your device.
2. Scroll down and open Apps.
3. In the apps you will see the list of downloaded apps.
4. Select the app for which you want to clear the cache.
5. In the App info select Storage.
6. In the storage menu select Clear cache. This will help clear the cache for that app.
Method 2: Delete Downloaded Files
Most of us download files and forget to delete them after using them. They take up a lot of space in the internal memory. Deleting those files will help us free space. Follow the steps below to delete downloaded files and empty trash on Android tablet.
1. Open My Files.
2. Tap on Downloads.
3. Select the files you want to delete.
4. Tap on Delete. This will help delete the downloaded files.
Method 3: Clear Chrome Cache
Google Chrome on our android device stores the maximum amount of trash files. Chrome is the default browser on most android devices and stores the cache file whenever you visit any site. The reason for storing these cache files is because if you plan to visit the same site again the cache files will help the site to load faster. Follow the steps below to empty trash on Android tablet by clearing the cache in Google Chrome:
1. Open Chrome on your android device.
2. Select the three-dot icon in the top right.
3. Select Settings.
4. In the settings menu, tap on Site settings.
5. Scroll down and tap on Data stored.
6. Select Clear all data.
7. A pop message will appear asking you to confirm. Select Clear.
Method 4: Uninstall Unused Apps
There are several apps on your device which you hardly use. Uninstalling them will help you free up space in your android. Follow the steps below to uninstall unused apps:
1. Open the Settings from the notification bar.
2. Tap on Apps.
3. Select the app you want to remove.
4. Tap on Uninstall.
5. A pop-up message will appear asking you to confirm. Select OK.
Also Read: How to Delete Downloads on Android
Method 5: Delete Duplicate Google Photos
Google Photos is an application developed by Google for Android users. At times when you delete a photo from it, the photo does not get permanently deleted rather a backup is created in the trash from where you can restore it. Deleting those deleted photos from the trash will help you free up space. Follow the steps below to delete those photos and empty trash on Android tablet:
1. Open Google Photos.
2. Select the Bin option.
3. Select the three-dot icon in the top right.
4. Tap on the Empty bin option.
Method 6: Delete Duplicate Emails from Gmail
Just like Google Photos Gmail also does not permanently delete any file rather a backup is created in the bin. Deleting those duplicate emails from the trash will help you restore space. Follow the steps below on how to delete duplicate emails:
1. Open Gmail.
2. Tap on the hamburger icon on the top left of the screen.
3. Select Bin.
4. Select the mail that you want to remove permanently.
5. Tap on Empty Bin now.
6. A pop-up screen will appear. Confirm the pop-up by taping on Empty option.
Method 7: Store Files on SD Card
If the space on your android device is limited. Consider using an SD Card to store all your files there and thereby increasing the storage space on your device. Buy an SD Card with really good storage preferably SAMSUNG EVO Plus with 128 GB storage and store all your photos, videos, and documents from the internal storage to the SD Card. Follow the steps below on how to empty trash on Android by storing files on SD card.
1. Open the My Files app.
2. Tap on Internal Storage.
3. Select the folder (e.g. Music) that you want to move.
4. Tap on Move.
5. Tap on SD card.
6. Finally tap on Move here.
- 11 Best Animoji Apps for Android
- 15 Best IRC Client for Mac and Linux
- How to Stop Auto Download in WhatsApp on Android and iPhone
- How to Cast iPhone to Firestick
We hope that this guide was useful and that you were able to know how to empty trash on Android. Let us know in the comment below which method worked best for you.