Microsoft Word is a famous platform used to create and design documents. People around the world use Word to create resumes, contracts, reports, assignments, and other professional or unprofessional documents. This digital way of presenting and viewing documents is also a time-saving and faster method than writing down on paper. It also has myriad features for its users like font size, type, adding pictures to the documents, inserting tables, and graphics. Not just that, but you can also change background color in Microsoft Word. If you are someone looking for tips about the same, we are bringing you a helpful guide that will teach you how to change background color in Word.
- How to Change Background Color in Microsoft Word
- Method 1: Change Background Color from Page Layout
- Method 2: Use Standard Color Theme
- Method 3: Create Custom Color Theme
- Method 4: Highlight Text with Color
- Method 5: Add Gradient Colors
- Method 6: Create Textured Background
- Method 7: Create Patterned Background
- Method 8: Set Picture as Background
How to Change Background Color in Microsoft Word
Adding background color to a Word document brings about a lot of change in it and adds detail to it. Other than that, there are other benefits too that explain how it can be helpful if you add some color to your documents.
- Adding background color the document more unique and enhanced if you are looking to make one for creative purposes.
- It is also great for creating a flyer or a brochure for marketing purposes.
- You can also add background color to a specific paragraph to emphasize the importance of the subject.
- The feature of adding background color is also an asset for creative writing on the Word document.
- You can change the background of your page on the document as per your wish. Changing the background color is available on all the versions of Microsoft Word.
Let us now explore the methods that will tell you how to change background color in Word on one page.
Method 1: Change Background Color from Page Layout
The background color of the Word document can be virtually any color that you want, be it light or dark. If you are looking for how to change background color in Word on one page, then here are some easy steps that will guide you on your way.
Note: The following steps are performed in Word 2010.
1. Open the Word document you want to add color to.
2. Click on Page Layout, as shown.
3. Click on Page Color to show a board of different colors.
4. Choose a color from Theme Colors or Standard Colors.
5. If you want to add more colors, click on the More Colors option.
6. Select desired color from the board that pops up and click OK.
7. If you want to change the color or remove it, click on No Color.
Also Read: How to Replace Color in GIMP
Method 2: Use Standard Color Theme
If you are struggling with ideas and have no idea of what background color you want for your document, you don’t need to worry because the standard set theme of colors on Word can help you in picking the best as per your document. To change background color in Microsoft Word is now extremely easy with the default colors. So, to set them as per your preference, follow the upcoming steps.
1. Open the Word document and click on Page Layout.
2. Click on Colors from the top left corner of the page.
3. A menu of Built-In colors will open up.
4. Choose a theme of your choice to add to the document.
Method 3: Create Custom Color Theme
To add a touch of customization to your document and bring some color & warmth to the file, the custom color theme from the spectrum is the best. If you are wondering how to change background color in Word, then you can follow the steps exactly how they are mentioned below and make your file colorful.
1. Click on Page Layout from the desired Word document.
2. Click on the Colors tab from the top left corner of the page, as shown.
3. Click on Create New Theme Colors option from the Built-In menu, as depicted below.
5. Enter your custom Name and click Save.
Method 4: Highlight Text with Color
Along with changing the background color, Word also allows the users to highlight the text. Highlighting the text helps in bringing the limelight to the subject and makes it stand out from the rest. Hence, if you are writing something important in your document or adding a note, highlighting the text is going to be handy for you. You can emphasize the text using color with the following stated steps.
1. Open the desired Word document.
2. Click on the Home tab > Text Highlight Color icon.
3A. From the Color menu, select the desired color to highlight the text in your document.
3B. Click on No Color if you want to change or remove the highlighted color.
Method 5: Add Gradient Colors
If you want to add more than color to the background of your document, Word gives you other background options too. The gradient is one of the features provided by Word, which you can add to your file in the form of colors and shading styles. If you want to know how to change background color in Word on one page using the gradient, the below-mentioned steps are your clues.
1. In the Word document, click on Page Layout > Page Color.
2. Click on Fill Effects…, as shown.
3. In the Gradient tab, select any one option of the following:
- One color
- Two colors
4. Select Color 1 and Color 2, if you have selected the Two colors option.
5. Choose Shading styles and click OK.
Also Read: 27 Best Alternatives to Microsoft Word
Method 6: Create Textured Background
The textured background is another way to make your Word document appealing. Texture allows users to add more complex colors and shapes to enhance a file. To know how to change background color in Word in texture form, look at the step-by-step instructions mentioned below.
1. Click on Page Layout in the desired Word document.
2. Click the Page Color option, as shown below.
3. Click on Fill effects.
4A. Click on the Texture tab and choose a preferred texture. Then, click OK.
4B. If you want more options, click on Other Texture.
5. Add the preferred picture of a suitable size to the document and click Insert. the desired picture will get added as the background in the target Word document.
Method 7: Create Patterned Background
The pattern feature of Word is another way to add foreground and background color to the document. From dots and waves to a grid theme, a pattern background is all you need. The steps below will help you add this background to your document.
1. Open the desired Word document on your PC.
2. Click the Page Layout > Page Color options, as highlighted below.
3. Click on Fill Effects from the Page Color drop-down menu.
4. Click on the Pattern tab and choose a suitable color for Foreground and Background, as shown.
5. Click OK to apply changes.
Also Read: How to Insert a Line in Word
Method 8: Set Picture as Background
If you are looking for another way to know how to change background color in Word, you can do it by using the picture in the background feature in fill effects. You can add any picture to your document. The only thing you need to care about is the picture size, which needs to be compatible with the letter size of the document. Check out the steps mentioned below to know how you can add a picture to the file.
1. Click on Page Layout> Page Color in the Word document.
2. Open Fill Effects in Page Color.
3. Click on the Picture tab > Select Picture to choose a suitable picture from your system.
4. Upload the desired picture and click OK.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Can I have a different background color for each page in my Word document?
Ans. Yes, the background color can be changed for each page in a Word document. To do so, you would need to pick a different style or color from Page Color in Word. You can choose a standard color theme or make your custom theme for the file.
Q2. Can I choose a different background for each page in Word?
Ans. Yes, you can have a different background for each page in a Word document. In the page color option, you can choose to fill effects, which allows you to choose gradient, pattern, picture, or texture options to add to the Word file.
Q3. How can I change the color of a single page in Word?
Ans. If you want to add color to only a single page in your document, you can do so by adding a page-size rectangle shape and then filling the color of your choice in the shape on the page you want to add color to.
Q4. Can I change the background color on Word if I don’t want it anymore?
Ans. Yes, you can remove or change the color of the background page in a file. This can be done by opening the page color tab and then choosing the no color option to set everything back to normal.
Q5. Can I print the background color too?
Ans. Yes, you can print the color that you have set on the background of a document. To get the background color, you would need to use a color printer.
- Component vs Composite Cables: What is the Difference?
- How to Change PayPal Account from Business to Personal
- How to Create a Hanging Indent in Word and Google Docs
- How to Change Taskbar Color in Windows 10
We hope that this guide was helpful and you were able to know how to change background color in Word. Let us know which method of adding color to the background of your document was your favorite. If you have any queries or suggestions regarding the same, feel free to drop them in the comments section below.