Sometimes, you may have to uninstall the WhatsApp app to fix certain problems, such as app crashing or login issue. However, concerns about losing your chat history and media files may prevent you from taking this step. If you are uncertain, read this guide until the end to learn how to backup your WhatsApp chat history safely and restore it after reinstalling the app on your phone.
How to Backup and Restore WhatsApp Chat After Reinstall
It’s normal to worry about losing your chats and media on WhatsApp. But don’t worry, we can help! We made a guide to show you how to make a safe backup of your account and restore it on any phone you want. That way, you can have peace of mind knowing your stuff is safe.
You can backup and restore your WhatsApp chat after reinstalling the app with the help of these steps:
1. First, backup the chats on your WhatsApp app by navigating to Settings > Chats.
2. Then, tap on Chat backup and then select the Back up option to upload the data to desired storage.
3. Now, uninstall WhatsApp from your phone and Install it back from Play Store.
4. Verify your phone number and tap on RESTORE to get the available back up.
Will I Lose My Chats If I Reinstall WhatsApp?
No, you will not lose your chats after reinstalling WhatsApp if you have backed them up beforehand. Before uninstalling your WhatsApp app, it is ideal that you should manually backup your data to any desired storage method, like Google Drive. So this way, you can easily restore the backup on the app after reinstalling it on the same or any other phone.
You should be aware that any messages or media files sent or received after the backup was made will not be included in the restored backup of the chat history.
What Happens If I Delete WhatsApp and Then Reinstall It?
When you reinstall the WhatsApp app on your phone after deleting it, you will be required to log in to your account and confirm your phone number. If you’ve already backed up your chats, you can restore them from a backup file after you’ve validated your phone number. Any messages and media files that were present in the backup file will be downloaded and made accessible in the app. The restored chat history will not include any media files or messages exchanged after the backup was created.
If you do not possess a backup of your chats or decide against restoring your chat history, you will begin with a fresh installation of WhatsApp and an empty conversation history. Consequently, you will need to initiate new conversations with your contacts and download any shared media files newly.
Also Read: Can You Recover Deleted Photos on WhatsApp?
How to Backup WhatsApp Chat After Reinstall
Firstly, you will have to backup your WhatsApp chats and then restore them on the newly installed app. Let’s see how you can do that:
Step I: Backup WhatsApp Data and Uninstall App
1. Open the WhatsApp app on your Android phone.
2. Tap on the three-dotted icon.
3. Then, select Settings.
4. Tap on the Chats option from the menu.
5. Tap on Chat backup.
6. Tap on the Google Account option and add your Gmail account.
7. Tap on Back up to Google Drive and choose the desired time span and frequency following which you want WhatsApp to create a backup of the chats and files on Google Drive.
8. Tap on Back up.
9. After chats are backed up, tap and hold the WhatsApp app icon from the phone drawer.
10. Tap on the Uninstall option to delete the app from the phone.
Step II: Reinstall WhatsApp and Restore Backup
1. Now, download and install the WhatsApp app on your Android phone.
2. Enter your phone number and tap on NEXT to verify the phone number with the verification code.
3. Tap on ALLOW from the popup to allow WhatsApp access to your contacts, media, photos, and other files.
4. Once WhatsApp detects your backup, tap on RESTORE.
Note: Make sure you tap on the Restore button and not on the Skip option. If you tap on the skip option, you will not be able to restore your messages or media later.
5. Now, wait for some time for WhatsApp to restore your backup to your device. Then, tap on Next to complete the backup process.
This way, you will get into your WhatsApp account with all the data associated with your account restored.
How Can I Reinstall WhatsApp without Losing Data?
You can reinstall your WhatsApp app without losing data by backing it up first and then restoring it on the desired phone. Read and follow the steps mentioned above to do that.
- How to Make Your Discord Status Change Every 10 Seconds
- How to Link a Device in WhatsApp
- How to Activate WhatsApp with Old Number
- Fix WhatsApp Photos Not Backing Up to Google Photos on Android
As now you have learned how to backup WhatsApp chat after reinstall, you can reinstall your WhatsApp app on your phone and access all your data easily. Feel free to reach out to us with your queries and suggestions via the comments section below. Also, let us know what you want to learn about next.