Confused about is Windows Defender error code 0x80016cfa real or a scam? Unfortunately, this error is not a real issue on your PC, rather it is a fraud alert masquerading as a technical support message. This type of scam usually appears in the form of a pop-up on your screen. So, if you are also facing the same, then keep reading this guide to know effective solutions to fix the issue.
How to Fix Windows Defender Error Code 0x80016CFA
Are you encountering Windows Defender error code 0x80016cfa? Read this guide to know what is this error all about and how you can fix it.
Try disabling your browser extensions that are suspicious. Follow the steps below to do so:
1. Launch your web browser.
2. Go to the Extensions menu.
3. Disable the unwanted third-party extensions.
Is Error Code 0x80016cfa Real or a Scam?
This error code has been causing confusion for many users, and for good reason. Unfortunately, 0x80016cfa error code is not a real issue with your computer’s security, but rather a fraudulent alert masquerading as a technical support message. The message usually prompts you to call the phone number displayed on the screen, but it’s important to be aware that this is just a tactic used to scam you. Here are a few points to know about this issue,
- The error code 0x80016cfa is commonly encountered after downloading third-party software, such as a download manager, media player, or PDF converter.
- Additionally, ad-supported extensions or plugins may be the root cause of the issue.
- When the error occurs, it typically takes over your entire screen and becomes frozen, making it impossible to exit by clicking the X or OK button.
This can be a frustrating and scary experience, but it’s important to stay calm and not fall for the scam. Here are few methods provided below to fix Windows Defender error code 0x80016cfa:
Method 1: Reboot Windows
Rebooting the Windows may potentially resolve the error code 0x80016cfa with Windows Defender.
1. Press Alt + F4 keys simultaneously to open Shut Down Windows window.
2. Select the Restart option from the drop-down menu by clicking on it.
3. To complete the reboot process, click on OK.
Method 2: Perform Clean Boot
To Fix Windows Defender error code 0x80016cfa Issue, you need to perform a clean boot on your PC and diagnose the issue step by step.
Method 3: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Running the Windows Update troubleshooter may resolve the error code 0x80016cfa with Windows Defender. The troubleshooter can help identify and fix common problems with Windows Update. Check our guide to run Windows Update troubleshooter.
Method 4: Run Malware Scan
According to multiple Microsoft specialists, performing a scan on your PC can aid in preserving its immunity from threats. The presence of viruses or malware on your system may lead to the occurrence of Windows Defender error code 0x80016cfa. Therefore, it is recommended that you carry out a scan on your computer in accordance with the instructions outlined in our guide on How do I Run a Virus Scan on my Computer?
Furthermore, if you desire to eliminate malware from your computer, kindly review our guide on How to Remove Malware from your PC in Windows 10.
Method 5: Disable Unwanted Browser Extensions
It is possible that the web extensions installed on your Google Chrome browser are responsible for this fraudulent issue Windows Defender error code 0x80016cfa. To deactivate these web extensions, kindly carry out the procedures outlined below on your computer.
1. Launch the Google Chrome application and select the three vertically aligned dots.
2. Select the option for More tools from the list, then proceed to choose Extensions from the subsequent drop-down menu.
3. Deactivate the switch for the web add-ons utilized in your Google Chrome application. As an illustration, the Image Downloader is utilized.
Note: If the web supplement is not crucial, you may eliminate it by selecting the Remove button.
Method 6: Disable Antivirus Temporarily (If Applicable)
Temporarily disabling the antivirus program may resolve the issue with Windows Defender if the antivirus program is conflicting with it. However, it is not recommended to leave the computer without antivirus protection for an extended period of time, as this can make the system vulnerable to malware and other security threats. It is also recommended to keep both the antivirus and Windows Defender software up to date to ensure maximum security for your system. Go through our guide to How to disable Antivirus temporarily on Windows 10.
Method 7: Run SFC and CHKDSK Scans
It’s possible that running SFC and CHKDSK may help resolve Windows Defender error code 0x80016cfa issue by fixing any underlying system file corruption that may be causing the problem.
1. Press the Windows key and search for Command Prompt, then hit the Enter key.
2. Next, enter the following command in the Command Prompt window and press the enter key:
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
3. Once you have entered the command, allow the process to complete, then restart the PC to finish.
4. Next, run CHKDSK command, To do that follow our guide on Fix File System Errors with Check Disk Utility(CHKDSK).
5. Allow the process to finish and restart the PC to implement the changes.
Also Read: Fix Can’t Turn ON Windows Defender
Method 8: Uninstall Faulty Application
Uninstalling a problematic application may fix Windows Defender error code 0x80016CFA, but this is not guaranteed. The error code 0x80016CFA can have multiple causes, and uninstalling the faulty application may only resolve the issue if the application was the source of the error.
1. Press the Windows button, type Control Panel and select Open.
2. Choose Uninstall a Program under Programs category.
4. Click on the Defective application and choose the Uninstall option.
Note: Here, The Heartbeat application is utilized just for illustration purpose.
We hope that this guide was helpful and you could know is error code 0x80016cfa real or a scam and fix Windows Defender error code 0x80016cfa. Also, we believe one of the methods outlined in this article was able to effectively address your issue. If you have any further questions or insights to share, we encourage you to leave a comment below. Our goal is to provide the best possible support and your feedback is an important part of that process. So, let us know how it went and if there’s anything else we can help with.