Fix File System Errors with Check Disk Utility (CHKDSK): Check disk utility can help solve some computer problems and improve the performance of your computer by making sure that your hard disk has no errors. CHKDSK (pronounced check disk) is a command that displays a status report for a volume, such as a disk, and can correct any errors found in that volume.
CHKDSK basically makes sure that the disk is healthy by inspecting the physical structure of the disk. It repairs problems related to lost clusters, bad sectors, directory errors, and cross-linked files. Corruption in the file or folder structure can occur due to which system crashes or freezes, power glitches or incorrectly turning off the computer, etc. Once some sort of error occurs it can propagate to create more errors so a regularly scheduled disk checkup is part of good system maintenance.
Fix File System Errors with Check Disk Utility (CHKDSK)
CHKDSK can be run as a command-line application or it can be run with a graphical user interface. The latter is the best option for a typical home PC user so let’s see how to run check disk with the graphical user interface:
1. Open window explorer and Right-click on the drive you want to run check disk, then select properties.
2. In the properties, window click on tools, and under Error Checking click on the Check button.
Sometimes Check Disk cannot start because the disk you want to check is still being used by the system processes, so the disk check utility will ask you to schedule the disk check on the next reboot, click yes and reboot the system. Do not press any key after you restart so that Check Disk will continue to run and wait for the process to finish. The whole thing could take up to an hour depending on your hard disk capacity:
How to run CHKDSK with command prompt
1. Right-click on the Windows button and select “Command Prompt (Admin).”
2. In the cmd windows type CHKDSK /f /r and hit enter.
3. It will ask to schedule the scan in the next system reboot, type Y, and hit enter.
4. For more useful commands type CHKDSK /? in cmd and it will list all the command related with CHKDSK.
You may also check:
- How to disable thumbnail previews in Windows 10
- How to turn Off DEP (Data Execution Prevention)
- How to Fix COM Surrogate has stopped working
- How to create system restore point – the easy way
That’s it you have successfully Fix File System Errors with Check Disk Utility and know you know how to run CHKDSK utility via both methods. If you still have doubt or any further questions regarding anything feel free to comment and I shall get back to you in no time.