Sometimes, you may analyze that your Windows 10 volume levels are at peak but still, the volume is very low. This is a very common issue which needs to be sorted out cleverly. In this article, we have a list of reasons and methods that sorts out the Windows volume too low issue. Hope this works for you! So, continue reading to fix computer volume too low on Windows 10.
- How to Fix Windows 10 Volume Too Low
- Preliminary Checks
- Method 1: Replace Damaged Cables
- Method 2: Select Correct Playback Device
- Method 3: Enable Sound Device
- Method 4: Run Audio Troubleshooter
- Method 5: Close Programs Using Audio
- Method 6: Allow Audio Access
- Method 7: Set Default Audio Device
- Method 8: Re-enable Sound Card
- Method 8: Disable Audio Enhancements
- Method 9: Repair Corrupt Files
- Method 10: Restart Audio Services
- Method 11: Deny Exclusive Access for Audio Device
- Method 12: Update Audio Drivers
- Method 13: Update Windows
- Method 14: Roll Back Audio Drivers
- Method 15: Reinstall Audio Drivers
- Method 16: Repair and Reset Conflicting App
- Method 17: Perform System Restore
How to Fix Windows 10 Volume Too Low
If you are facing laptop volume too low on Windows 10 while enjoying your PC audio contents, the most probable reason would be due to incompatible audio settings. Here are some common reasons that contribute to laptop volume too low on Windows 10 issue.
- Muted or low volume.
- Audio enhancement features enabled on PC.
- Outdated audio drivers in computers.
- Damaged cables, plugs, and speakers.
- Microphone access is not granted.
- Outdated Windows Operating System.
- Outdated/incompatible audio drivers.
- Presence of corrupt files on PC.
- Few essential Windows Audio services are not enabled.
Now, move ahead to the next section to fix the laptop volume too low Windows 10 issue. We will discuss the troubleshooting methods that will help you fix Windows 10 volume too low issue. Implement the methods in the same order to get perfect results.
Before you head towards the advanced troubleshooting methods, a few simple hacks will help you fix computer volume too low Windows 10 within clicks. If you do not attain any fix, move to the next section.
1. Reboot your PC and any temporary glitches associated with the computer will be resolved.
2. Ensure proper internet connectivity, since high-quality audio contents require an adequate limit of bandwidth. You may face audio issues when you are in the middle of any video/audio file if some of the data packets are lost due to insufficient bandwidth.
3. Make sure to use a high-quality microphone and it is set firmly with your PC.
4. Make sure that you are not in a noisy environment with traffic sounds or crowd noises in the background. This will prevent your voice from being faded away.
Method 1: Replace Damaged Cables
It’s time to check if there is any external damage to the external speakers, microphone, and other audio devices contributing to the problem.
1. Check cables for loose connections and whether all other cables are plugged in or not.
2. Make sure all other cables and cords are plugged into the correct jack. If you are not sure of the correct jacks, contact the hardware manufacturer.
3. Check the volume levels and whether the power is turned on.
4. If you have also plugged in headphones, unplug them and check if it helps.
Method 2: Select Correct Playback Device
If you are using more than one audio output device, make sure to check when the device is used up as an output device. Follow the below-mentioned steps to check audio output.
1. Click on the Speakers icon at the bottom right corner of the screen.
2. Click on the arrow icon to expand the list of audio devices connected to the computer.
3. Select the audio device (you prefer) and make sure the audio is playing through the selected device.
Move ahead to the next method if this does not resolve your issue.
Method 3: Enable Sound Device
In this method, you have to check if the sound settings are correct and compatible with the audio device you are using. This helps you to fix the laptop volume too low Windows 10 issue as you follow the steps instructed below.
1. Right-click on the Speakers icon at the bottom right corner of the screen and click on Open Volume Mixer.
2. Now, a set of volume controls will be opened up. Make sure all volume levels are not muted. If you find any red circle with a line, unmute the volume level.
3. Now, press and hold Windows + I keys together to open Windows Settings.
4. Click on System.
5. Then, click on Sound from the left pane and click on Device properties under the Output menu.
6. Make sure Disable box is not checked.
7. Repeat Steps 5-6 for input devices as depicted.
Check if you have fixed Windows 10 volume too low issue.
Method 4: Run Audio Troubleshooter
Your PC contains an inbuilt troubleshooting tool to fix any issues and errors arising automatically. The audio devices that are plugged into your computer and the inbuilt audio devices will be scanned. Follow our guide How to Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter to fix issues to fix all the audio-related hardware issues in your PC. Also, you can run the Audio troubleshooter individually as instructed in our guide How to Run Windows Update Troubleshooter, but make sure you select the Playing Audio option as depicted.
Also Read: Fix Discord Picking Up Game Audio Error
Method 5: Close Programs Using Audio
To resolve the problem, if the audio utility is used by other programs on your Windows 10 PC you are advised to close all other programs or applications running in the background one by one or force them to shut down by using Task Manager. To do so, follow our guide on How to End Task in Windows 10.
Method 6: Allow Audio Access
If the application through which you are hearing the audio is not on the list, you cannot hear any audio content. Therefore, ensure the audio settings are enabled for your app on your PC by following the below-mentioned steps.
1. Launch Windows Settings by pressing Windows + I keys together.
2. Click on Privacy.
3. Here, scroll down the left pane and click the Microphone option. Ensure Allow apps to access your microphone option is enabled.
Note: Launch Sound Settings from the search menu and select the correct input device (Microphone (2-High Definition Audio Device)) as default.
Check if you have fixed my laptop volume is too low Windows 10 issue.
Method 7: Set Default Audio Device
Make sure to check whether audio device like headphones or speakers, is set as a default device. Assume a case of connecting an external monitor (that does not have built-in speakers) to your PC. If this monitor is set as a default output device, you will not be able to hear any audio. Set your audio device as the default device as instructed below to fix the laptop volume too low Windows 10 issue.
1. Right-click on the Speakers icon at the bottom right corner of the screen and select the Sounds option.
2. Switch to the Playback tab and right-click on the audio device you would like to set as the default one.
3. Select the Set as Default Device option as highlighted and click on Apply and OK to save the changes.
Method 8: Re-enable Sound Card
You can easily fix Windows 10 volume too low issue by restarting the sound card as instructed below.
1. Hit the Windows key and type Device Manager and click on Open.
2. Expand the Sound, video, and game controllers by double-clicking on them.
3. Right-click on your sound card and select the Disable device option.
4. Now, confirm the prompt by clicking on Yes and rebooting your PC. Then, repeat Steps 1-2.
5. Next, right-click on your sound card and select the Enable device option.
6. Now, try playing any sound in your app and check if the issue is resolved or not.
Method 8: Disable Audio Enhancements
If the sound seems to be of low quality or noisy, you are advised to change the sample rate. A low-frequency sample rate will cause computer volume too low Windows 10 problems, yet you can select a higher frequency sample rate by following the below-mentioned steps.
1. Right-click on the Speakers icon at the bottom right corner of the screen and select the Sounds option.
2. Switch to the Playback tab and select the audio device followed by the Properties button.
3. Then, switch to the Advanced tab and from the drop-down menu under Default Format, make sure you select the highest frequency range (24 bit, 48000 Hz).
Note: Make sure Disable audio enhancements option is unchecked under Signal Enhancements.
6. Click on Apply and then OK to save the changes. Check if you face the laptop volume too low Windows 10 again. If so, adjust different levels of frequency ranges by repeating these steps and confirm which range solves computer volume too low on Windows 10 problem.
Method 9: Repair Corrupt Files
A few essential files and programs must be functioning on your PC. But, if they are corrupt or misconfigured, you will face my laptop volume is too low Windows 10 issues. However, it can be repaired by using the inbuilt utilities of your Windows 10 PC namely, System File Checker and Deployment Image Servicing and Management. Read our guide on How to Repair System Files on Windows 10 and follow the steps as instructed to repair all your corrupt files.
Wait for the commands to be executed and check if you have fixed my laptop volume is too low Windows 10 issue.
Method 10: Restart Audio Services
Some of the essential Windows audio services will help you prevent Windows 10 volume too low issue. If in case, these services are turned off, you may face several conflicts. Restart a few essential audio services as instructed below to solve this problem.
1. Hit the Windows key, type Services, and click on Run as administrator.
2. Scroll down and double-click on the Windows Audio service.
3. Now, in the new pop-up window, select the Startup type to Automatic, as depicted. Click on Apply and OK to save the changes.
Note: If the Service status is Stopped, then click on the Start button. If the Service status is Running, click on Stop and Start it again.
4. Repeat all these steps for other Windows services like Windows Audio Endpoint Builder and Remote Procedure Call (RPC).
Also Read: How to Fix Audio Stuttering in Windows 10
Method 11: Deny Exclusive Access for Audio Device
Still, if you are struggling with computer volume too low Windows 10 issue, then you have to ensure no other program is taking the exclusive control of your audio device. Follow the below-mentioned steps to disable the discussed feature .
1. Right-click on the Speakers icon and select the Sounds option.
2. Select your audio device and click on the Properties button.
3. In the General tab, make sure the Device usage option is set to Use this device (enable) as shown. Click on Apply and OK if you have made any changes.
4. Switch to the Advanced tab, and under the Exclusive Mode menu, make sure the following options are unchecked.
- Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.
- Give exclusive mode applications priority.
Note: As soon as you uncheck Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device option, Give exclusive mode applications priority option will be automatically unchecked.
5. Finally, click on Apply and OK to save the changes. Now, you would have fixed the laptop volume too low Windows 10 issue.
Method 12: Update Audio Drivers
Outdated and incompatible audio drivers will always result in Windows 10 volume too low issue. Make sure to use an updated version of audio drivers and if your computer lacks the latest drivers, you are advised to update them as instructed in our guide How to Update Realtek HD Audio Drivers in Windows 10.
Once you have updated your audio drivers to the latest version, check if you have fixed the laptop volume too low Windows 10 issue.
Also Read: Fix Zoom Audio Not Working Windows 10
Method 13: Update Windows
Any new Microsoft updates which are pending to be installed on your PC, then a few bugs and problems cannot be resolved on your computer. Updating Windows 10 computers will help you resolve laptop volume too low Windows 10 issue. Follow our guide on How to Download and Install Windows 10 Latest Update.
Check whether computer volume too low on Windows 10 issue persists or not.
Method 14: Roll Back Audio Drivers
Sometimes, the current version of audio drivers may cause any audio conflicts and in this case, you have to restore previous versions of installed drivers. You can easily roll back your computer drivers to their previous state by following our guide How to Rollback Drivers on Windows 10.
Also Read: Fix Windows 10 Volume Control Not Working
Method 15: Reinstall Audio Drivers
You are advised to reinstall incompatible device drivers only if you cannot attain any fix by updating them. By using a third-party application you can reinstall audio drivers or by implementing the steps manually as instructed in our guide How to Uninstall and Reinstall Drivers on Windows 10
After reinstalling audio drivers, check if you can hear the audio in your Windows 10.
Method 16: Repair and Reset Conflicting App
If none of the methods has helped you fix the Windows 10 volume too low issue, but you can hear the audio in other apps on your PC, then there is a possibility that your audio app downloaded from Microsoft Store is conflicting somewhere. So, in this case, repair or reset the app if possible to fix the problem.
Note: In this guide, steps to repair and reset Minecraft launchers are demonstrated. Follow the steps according to your game.
1. Hit the Windows key and type Minecraft Launcher, and click on App settings.
3. Scroll down the Settings screen and click on the Repair option.
Note: Your app data will not be affected while repairing Minecraft Launcher.
4. Check if you have fixed the audio issue. If not, click on the Reset option.
Note: Resetting Minecraft Launcher will delete the app data.
5. Finally, reboot your PC. Still, if you face the same, then try reinstalling the app as a last option.
Method 17: Perform System Restore
If none of the methods have helped you, then the only option left is to restore your computer to its previous version. To do so, follow our guide on How to use System Restore on Windows 10 and implement the instructions as demonstrated.
After restoring your Windows 10 PC, check if have fixed computer volume too low Windows 10 problem.
- How to Request Control in Microsoft Teams
- How to Mute an App on Windows 10
- Fix Windows 10 Audio Error 0xc00d4e86
- Fix No Sound in Games on Windows 10
We hope that this guide was helpful and you could fix Windows 10 volume too low issue. Feel free to reach out to us with your queries and suggestions via the comments section below.