The W, A, S, and D keys, also known as WASD, are favorites among gamers as it is convenient and ideal to play games with a mouse on one side and WASD keys on the other. The WASD keys on most gaming keyboards have minor bumps and distinct colors printed over them. In almost every game nowadays, the default key configuration for arrows is WASD. However, it gets messier when WASD swapped with arrow keys problem arises, pressing any arrow key will cause it to be replaced by either W, A, S, or D, and alphabets will take over the role of arrows. If you are also dealing with the same problem, you are at the right place. We bring you a perfect guide that will help you fix WASD and Arrow Keys switched problem.
How to Fix WASD and Arrow Keys Switched in Windows 10
Before gaming advancements like 3D interfaces and other numerous functionalities, the arrow keys were sufficient to play any game. As the arrow keys could not be used for all functions, WASD keys with mouse support quickly became popular.
- WASD keys on the keyboard perform the same function as arrow keys: W for up, S for down, A for left, and D for right.
- Mostly it is used by gamers, however, it is fully customizable and other keys can be used instead of WASD.
- The main reason behind WASD being so popular is because of its closeness to the horizontal number pad, which is used in games to change tools, inventory, and many more functions depending on the gameplay.
- Also, it is conveniently located close to the Shift, Tab, and Esc keys, which makes it easier to do multiple things quickly. Now, let’s understand the causes of WASD keys switched with arrow keys Windows 10 issue.
Why Did WASD and Arrow Keys Switched?
Since most games and programs have WASD keys set as their default option for arrow functionality, closing or moving between particular programs may cause problems for the keyboard driver and mislead the system. Incompatible ports, an outdated keyboard driver, and several keyboard settings modifications could all be contributing factors to WASD swapped with arrow keys issue.
Here, we have shown the methods to fix WASD and Arrow Keys Swapped issue in Windows PC.
Method 1: Re-plugin Keyboard
As mentioned above, the problem can lie in the USB port if you are using an old keyboard that isn’t compatible with the current USB version. For example, a USB 2.0 keyboard will not function properly with a USB 3.0 port. Or the issue could be the USB port itself, which might be infected by dust or faulty wiring. So, the first thing to fix WASD swapped with arrow keys trouble, we advise you to change the port and connect it back to the USB 2.0 port or another port.
Method 2: Disable Alternative Keys Settings
WASD keys switched with arrow keys Windows 10 problem can also occur due to pressing the shortcut keys unintentionally which changes the keyboard settings and function. Try pressing the following shortcut keys to restoring the function to normal mode:
Note: Press these keys simultaneously on your keyboard.
- Fn + Windows keys
- Fn + Esc keys
- Fn + Left arrow keys
- Fn + W keys
Method 3: Run Keyboard Troubleshooter
The troubleshooter can identify any unknown issues and help to fix the problem. WASD swapped with arrow key issue can also be fixed by using the Keyboard Troubleshooter. Here are the steps to run the troubleshooter:
1. Hit the Windows + I keys together to open the Settings.
2. Click on Update & Security.
3. Then, click on Troubleshoot.
4. Scroll down and select Keyboard, then click on Run the troubleshooter.
5. Wait for the troubleshooter for detecting problems and apply the fix by following the on-screen instructions.
Also Read: How to Map Controller to Keyboard
Method 4: Update Keyboard Driver
WASD and Arrow Keys switched issue can also be triggered due to an outdated keyboard driver. To resolve the issue, try updating the driver. Read our guide on how to update Device Drivers on Windows 10.
Also Read: Fix keyboard Input lag in Windows 10
Method 5: Disable Browser Extension
WASD and Arrow Keys Swapped issue can occur while playing games online on a web browser. Usually, most games will support the WASD and it will function as arrow keys. However, sometimes the browser extension can affect the default keyboard settings. In this method to fix WASD and Arrow Keys switched problem, we will try to play the game in incognito or private mode which is a browser mode in which no history or data is saved on the system and disable/delete unnecessary web extensions i.e. like a mini app for the browser to perform certain tasks.
Note: This method to fix WASD and Arrow Keys switched problem is performed on Mozilla Firefox browser in Windows 10. Steps may differ slightly in other browsers.
1. Hit the Windows key, type Firefox and click on Open.
2. Press the Ctrl + Shift + P keys simultaneously to open an Incognito tab.
3. Then, launch any game to test. If WASD swapped with arrow keys problem still exists, then as a next step disable all the web extensions.
4. Click on the Open Application Menu button and click on the Help option on the list displayed.
5. Now, click on the Troubleshoot Mode… in the Firefox help window.
6. Click on the Open button on the Restart Firefox in Troubleshoot Mode pop-up window.
7. Next, click on the Open Application Menu button and click on the Add-ons and themes option on the list.
8. Click on the Extensions tab on the left pane of the next window and toggle off the add-ons (e.g. Google Translate) on the window.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What’s the difference between USB 2.0 and 3.0?
Ans. Less power usage and speed are the main differences. The speed of USB 3.0 is ten times that of USB 2.0.
Q2. How to fix WASD and Arrow keys swapped problem on a wireless keyboard?
Ans. The methods are the same as those mentioned above, the only difference is that the wireless keyboard is connected through Bluetooth rather than a USB cable.
Q3. Things to look for before buying a gaming keyboard?
Ans. This is determined by your needs and preferences, including factors such as size and style, key travel, price, wired or wireless, additional software, wrist rest, number pad, and so on.
- How to View Steam Purchasing History
- Fix Hard Disk Problems in Windows 10
- How to Disable Laptop Keyboard on Windows 10
- What is Home Button on a Keyboard?
We hope that this guide was helpful and you were able to fix WASD and Arrow Keys switched issue. Let us know which method worked for you best. If you have any queries or suggestions, then feel free to drop them in the comments section below.