Tumblr is a great platform for posting and reading blogs. The app might not be as famous as Instagram or Facebook today, but it continues to be the preferred app of its loyal users from around the world. Unfortunately, as is the case with multiple applications, it might encounter pesky bugs or technical errors.
What is Tumblr Blogs only opening in Dashboard error?
One commonly reported error is the Tumblr blogs only opening in Dashboard mode. It means that when a user tries to open any blog via Dashboard, the said blog opens within the Dashboard itself and not in a different tab, as it should. Accessing blogs straight from the Dashboard may seem neat, but it might ruin the Tumblr experience you are accustomed to. In this article, we have listed down various methods that can help you fix the Tumblr blog that only opens in the Dashboard mode issue.
How to Fix Tumblr Blog only opens in dashboard mode
According to multiple Tumblr users, the problem of blogs opening only in Dashboard arises mostly on the web version of the app. Therefore, we shall discuss solutions for this issue for the Tumblr web version only.
Method 1: Launch Blog in New tab
When you click on a blog on your Tumblr Dashboard, the blog pops up in the sidebar visible on the right side of the computer screen. The Sidebar approach is useful when you wish to go through the blog quickly. Though, a tiny sidebar combined with a non-responsive Dashboard is bound to be irritating when all you wanted to do was read the entire blog.
The sidebar feature is an inbuilt feature of Tumblr, and hence, there’s no way to disable it. However, the easiest and the most direct solution to fix the Tumblr blog redirects to Dashboard issue is opening the blog in a separate tab. You can do it in two ways:
Option 1: Using right-click to open link in new tab
1. Launch any web browser and navigate to the Tumblr web page.
2. Log in to your Tumblr account by entering your username and password.
3. Now, locate the blog you wish to view and click on the name or title of the blog. The blog will open in the sidebar view.
4. Here, right-click on the icon or title of the blog and click on the Open link in the new tab, as depicted below.
The blog will open in a new tab of your web browser, and you can enjoy reading it.
Option 2: Using mouse & keyboard shortcuts
You also have the option of opening the blog in a new tab with the help of your mouse or keyboard as follows:
1. Place the cursor over the blog link and press the middle mouse button to launch the blog in a new tab.
2. Alternatively, press the Ctrl key + left mouse button to launch the blog in a new tab.
Also Read: How to Delete Messages on Snapchat
Method 2: Use Google Chrome Extension
Google Chrome offers impressive Chrome extensions that you can add to it for a better and quicker browsing experience. Since clicking on a blog on Tumblr opens it in a sidebar view, you can use Google extensions to fix Tumblr blog only opens in Dashboard mode. These extensions come in handy when you wish to open links in a new tab, and not on the same page.
Additionally, you get the option to customize and enable these extensions exclusively for Tumblr sessions. You can use the long-press new tab extension or, click to tab.
Follow the given steps to add these extensions to Google Chrome:
1. Launch Chrome and navigate to Chrome web store.
2. Search for ‘long press new tab’ or ‘click to tab’ extensions in the search bar. We have used the long-press new tab extension as an example. Refer to pic below.
3. Open the long-press new tab extension and click on Add to Chrome, as shown.
4. Again, click on Add extension, as shown below.
5. After adding the extension, reload the Tumblr Dashboard.
6. Look for the blog you wish to open. Click on the name of the blog for about half a second to open it in a new tab.
Method 3: View Hidden Blogs
Along with the problem of blog opening in Dashboard mode on Tumblr, you might also encounter hidden blogs. When you click to access these blogs, it leads to a page not found error.
A Tumblr user might enable the hide feature
- By accident – This will only allow the admin or user to access the blog so hidden.
- To ensure privacy – Only allowed users will be able to view the blog.
Nevertheless, the hide feature may prevent users from accessing and opening your blogs.
Here’s how you can disable the hide feature on Tumblr:
1. Log in to your Tumblr account and click on the profile icon from the top-right corner of the screen.
2. Go to Settings, as shown.
3. You will be able to see the list of all your blogs under the Blog section.
4. Select the blog you wish to unhide.
5. Scroll down and go to the Visibility section.
6. Finally, toggle off the option marked Hide <name of your blog>.
That’s it; the blog will now open and load for all Tumblr users who try to access it.
Moreover, users will be able to access the blog in a new tab, if need be.
- 4 Best Sidebar Apps for Android
- Android TV vs Roku TV: Which is Better?
- Fix HBO Max Not Working on Roku
- How to Disable Discord Overlay
We hope this guide was helpful, and you were able to fix the Tumblr blog that only opens on Dashboard issue. If you have any queries or suggestions regarding the article, then feel free to tell us in the comment section below.