PlayStation game console by Sony has reinvented the video gaming platform. PlayStation controllers specifically have introduced an amazing range of intuitive features. These controllers are basically gamepads with vibration feedback and analog controls that make playing video games on PlayStation quite realistic. Every PlayStation console gamer who owns a controller would know of several lights of different colors that flash on their controller. One such flashing color is orange light on PS4. If you have been seeing a similar color on your console then our today’s guide on PS orange light meaning will help you greatly. So, let’s get started with knowing all about this orange light, the reasons that trigger it, and different ways that can help you how to fix orange light on PS4.
- How to Fix Orange Light on PS4
- PS Orange Light Meaning
- Method 1: Use Micro USB Cable
- Method 2: Replace PS4 Controller Batteries
- Method 3: Re-Sync Controller at Startup
- Method 4: Reset DS4 Controller
- Method 5: Reset PS4 Console
- Method 6: Rebuild PS4 Database
- Method 7: Start PS4 in Safe Mode
- Method 8: Contact PlayStation Support
How to Fix Orange Light on PS4
Colors flashing on your PS4 controller indicate a particular situation. In this case, a solid orange light means rest mode while pulsing orange light on the controller indicates charging only or not turned on. Regardless of the reason, seeing an orange light more than once might not be a good indication and thus need to be fixed. So, let us follow the methods given below and follow them as they are indicated.
PS Orange Light Meaning
It is common to see a variety of different colors on the PlayStation controller. Each color indicates a different concern. The orange light specifically on the PS4 DualShock controller means that the controller in is rest mode and won’t connect to the console. Another reason why you might be seeing orange light is a connectivity issue that makes it impossible for the controller to connect to the console. The following reasons have been seen to mostly cause this orange light phenomenon:
- PS4 controller connected to other devices.
- Damaged USB cable connected between PS4 and the controller.
- Dusty USB ports.
- Damaged or worn-out batteries of the controller.
- The outdated system software of the device.
- Syncing issues with the PS4 controller.
Method 1: Use Micro USB Cable
The very first method that you will be attempting to fix PS4 orange light blinking involves using a micro-USB cable. Using a micro-USB cable will help you to drain out the power of your PS4 completely which will shut it down and resolve the light issue. Follow the steps below to fix the orange light:
1. Press and hold the power button on your console for 10 seconds to turn it off completely.
2. Now, unplug the power cables from the back of your console.
3. Next, press and hold the power button several times to drain the remaining power to clear the cache of the PS4.
4. Wait for at least 5 minutes, then plug the wires again and connect your controller with a micro-USB cable.
5. On restarting the console, check if the orange light on your controller is fixed.
Method 2: Replace PS4 Controller Batteries
Controller batteries also play a major role in orange light on PS4 when off. Batteries of your controller run on a specific life. This life depends upon the use of the controller. With time, batteries tend to drain or wear out. On seeing the orange light, all you need to do is replace your PS4 controller batteries with new ones. If changing your controller batteries was not of any help then continue with the next method.
Also Read: Fix PS4 Error Code WS 37431 8
Method 3: Re-Sync Controller at Startup
At times, incorrect controller sync with the console can also result in orange light on PS4. If this is so, you must re-sync your controller at startup to avoid seeing orange light.
1. Shut down your PS4 console.
2. Now, connect your controller to the console using a USB cable.
3. Next, press and hold the PS button to re-sync the controller at the startup.
4. Use the SHARE button simultaneously, which is optional.
Method 4: Reset DS4 Controller
If you are still wondering how to fix orange light on PS4 then resetting your DualShock 4 controller can come in handy. Reset is of two types, hard reset which wipes all the saved data, leaving your device in its original state, and soft reset which resolves issues with your device while keeping your saved data intact. In the case of the DS4 controller, we will be performing a soft reset by following the instructions below:
1. Navigate to the reset button behind your DS4 controller and press it.
2. Now, insert a pin to push the reset button inside the hole.
3. Next, hold down the reset button for about 5 seconds.
4. Finally, plug the controller into PS4 using a USB charging cable and check if the orange light issue has been resolved.
Method 5: Reset PS4 Console
Another effective solution in order to resolve PS4 orange light blinking is resetting your PS4 console. A simple reset of your PlayStation console helps fix a minor issue that could lead to orange light. Let us look at the steps that will help you reset your console:
Note: Performing a console reset will delete all of your saved storage data. Create a backup of your data before attempting this method.
1. Open the PS4 Settings menu.
2. Now, select Initialization from the list of options.
3. Next, select Initialize PS4.
4. Under Select how you want to initialize the PS4, select Full to completely delete system storage data.
5. Select the Initialize option in the next window.
6. Finally, select Yes to start the initialization process.
Method 6: Rebuild PS4 Database
If resetting your PS4 console has not helped in fixing orange light on PS4 when off then try to rebuild the PS4 database. This is because of corrupted data on your PS4 which can be fixed by performing the rebuild action.
1. Connect DS4 to a USB cable and press the PS button to pair it.
2. Now, press and hold the power button to enter Safe Mode.
3. Again, press and hold the power button and leave it on the second beep.
4. Next, press the X button on your controller.
5. Now, select Rebuild Database in the Safe Mode list.
6. Now, wait for PS4 to boot up and reconnect it to check if orange light issue has been fixed.
Also Read: Fix PS4 Error CE 42555 1 Issue
Method 7: Start PS4 in Safe Mode
Safe mode helps in fixing a lot of firmware issues in the controller as well as the console. To boot up your PS4 in safe mode answers the most asked question, how to fix orange light on PS4. Follow the steps below to enter your PS4 in safe mode:
1. Turn off your PS4 console.
2. Press and hold the reset button on DualShock Controller until you hear two beeps.
3. Now, connect the DualShock controller to the computer via a USB cable.
4. Finally, turn it on by pressing the PS button.
The above steps will return PS4 to safe mode and eventually fix the blinking orange light issue.
Method 8: Contact PlayStation Support
Finally, to fix orange light on PS4 contact PlayStation Support if none of the methods mentioned above have helped you out in any way. It is possible that the orange light blinking on your PS4 controller is due to some hardware issues. If so, you must contact professionals or go to your nearest Sony service center to get them fixed.
Also Read: Fix PS4 WiFi Proxy Server Error
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What color should a PS4 controller be when it is charging?
Ans. During charging, your PS4 controller should indicate amber and white color. The light bar turns off completely when the device is fully charged.
Q2. How long does it take to charge the PS4 controller fully?
Ans. It takes about 2 hours to charge the PS4 controller fully.
Q3. Can I charge my PS4 controller with a Samsung charger?
Ans. Yes, you can charge your PS4 controller with a Samsung charger.
Q4. Why is my PS4 orange and unable to turn on?
Ans. If you are unable to turn on your PS4 while it is showing orange color, it means your PlayStation is in rest mode.
Q5. Can I unplug PS4 while it is blinking orange light?
Ans. Unplugging the PS4 while it is blinking orange light might lead to corrupt data or data loss. Doing so might also damage your system and therefore should be avoided.
- 14 Ways to Fix Microsoft Outlook Error 0x80040115
- How to Fix PS5 Blinking Blue Light
- How to Change Parental Controls on PS4
- Why Does PS4 Say Credit Card Information is Not Valid?
We hope that our guide on orange light on PS4 was helpful in answering all your doubts about this blinking light in your controller, why it occurs, and how to fix it. Let us know which one of the methods helped you fix this light issue. Also, don’t forget to leave your queries and suggestions in the comments section below.