Wifi has become inevitable in today’s fast-paced life where people need all the information on their hands in seconds. Wifi is used to keep the connection to the internet intact and surf the internet in seconds. Wifi extender is one such tool that helps to upgrade the range of internet and hence is also known as Wifi booster. This networking device can sometimes face issues like disconnection problems. If you are someone wondering why my Wifi extender keeps disconnecting then we have a perfect guide for you to help with the same. Not just one but we will go through multiple ways which will help you with fixing TP link extender installation and TP link wireless n range extender setup. So, without further ado let us get started with fixes for my Wifi extender keeps disconnecting problems.
- How to Fix My TP Link Wifi Extender Keeps Disconnecting
- Method 1: Remove Wifi Interference
- Method 2: Reboot TP-Link Extender
- Method 3: Connect Extender to Right Wifi Network
- Method 4: Bring Devices Closer
- Method 5: Verify Ethernet Connection
- Method 6: Update Extender Firmware
- Method 7: Get New Extender
- Method 8: Contact TP Link Support
How to Fix My TP Link Wifi Extender Keeps Disconnecting
Below is the list of reasons that have been often seen to cause issues with a Wifi extender and leading it to lose the connection:
- Outdated software of Wifi extender.
- Improper placement of the extender.
- A wrong Wifi connection network.
- Incomplete extender setup.
- Wifi interference.
- Unstable ethernet connection.
As discussed above, your Wifi extender keeps disconnecting for several reasons, but there are a couple of troubleshooting methods that can help you fix this issue easily.
Method 1: Remove Wifi Interference
The first method to start with in order to get rid of the disconnection issue is to make sure that your TP link extender installation is set up without any interference. It is possible that your extender is blocked by appliances near it. These appliances may include metal objects, cordless phones, television, Bluetooth speakers, transmitting appliances, and reflexive surfaces. Keep in mind the following points to avoid such an issue:
- Always keep the extender away from electronic devices like refrigerators, microwave ovens, machines, etc.
- Set up the extender in a clean place.
- Do not place your extender in a closed space like in a cupboard or under a table.
- Keep your TP-link extender away from metal doors, fish tanks, ceiling fans, and concrete walls.
Method 2: Reboot TP-Link Extender
The next method of fixing the extender disconnection is by rebooting the TP-link extender. Rebooting the device has helped many users in overcoming the connection issues with the extender. So, you can go on with refreshing the TP-link extender using the steps outlined below:
1. Disconnect TP link wireless N range extender setup from your home router.
2. Now, turn off the Router and Unplug it.
3. After a few seconds, plug the extender back into the Power source.
4. Now, press the Power button and reconnect the TP-link extender to your home router.
After rebooting the extender, check if my Wifi extender keeps disconnecting problem is settled.
Method 3: Connect Extender to Right Wifi Network
It is possible that you have connected it to the wrong Wifi network after setting up your Wifi extender. Connecting devices to the old network are common after installing a new Wifi extender resulting in intermittent wireless connection issues. The name of your extended network is different from that of your previous network. So, make sure that you have connected to the right network to avoid such circumstances.
Method 4: Bring Devices Closer
Sometimes, the distance between your extender and router can also be a major reason why you are facing disconnection issues. Hence, TP link wireless N range extender setup is extremely vital for the proper functioning of the device. If the distance between the extender and router is too much, it can interfere with its working. So, ensure that they are placed closer to each other.
Also Read: How to Unlock Huawei Modem
Method 5: Verify Ethernet Connection
Another method that can help you extremely in ensuring that your extender has a proper connection is to check the ethernet connection between your devices. If there is a cable issue, you can replace it with a new one. In other cases, you can connect your Wifi extender and router with the help of a wireless source. Read our guide on how to troubleshoot network connectivity problems on Windows 10.
Method 6: Update Extender Firmware
Outdated extender firmware is another reason why you are experiencing my Wifi extender keeps disconnecting issue. If this is the case then updating your firmware with the latest update is important to let the extender work smoothly without disconnecting over and again. You can achieve this by accessing TP link. For more information on how to update the TP link extender, check the steps given below:
1. Connect the TP link extender to your home router.
2. Now, download the latest firmware version for TP link extender.
3. Next, open the web browser and ensure that all the Cookies & Cache are deleted.
Note: Refer to our guide on how to clear Cookies & Cache.
4. Then, type tplinkrepeater.net in the search bar and press the Enter key.
5. Now, on the login page of TP link extender, enter your credentials, and click on Login.
6. You will find TP link setup in it.
7. To download it, open Settings, then System Tools and click on Firmware Upgrade in it.
8. Now, select the file downloaded earlier, open it, and click on Upgrade.
9. Once the firmware is upgraded, it shall resolve disconnection issues with your Wifi extender.
Also Read: Fix Network Connection Error 0x00028002
Method 7: Get New Extender
After performing all the mentioned methods, if you are still wondering why my Wifi extender keeps disconnecting, then it is possible that there is something wrong with your extender. So, you can get a new wireless range extender which will provide you with fast internet connection speed. You can check the TP-Link extender setup page and set up the new extender as mentioned.
Method 8: Contact TP Link Support
The last method that can help you with the TP link extender installation and disconnection issue is contacting TP Link Support. It is possible to face the connection problem with even a new extender and even with updated firmware. Therefore, contacting professionals and letting them know about the problem in detail can help you fix the issue.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Why do I keep facing connection issues with my Wifi extender?
Ans. Connection issues with Wifi extender can occur due to power outages, issues with the router, problems with the cable modem, data software problems, and integration issues.
Q2. Do Wifi extenders burn out over time and use?
Ans. With time and use, just like any other electronic device, Wifi extenders burn out. Even though Wifi extenders do not need much maintenance and care, they still go bad after lasting a long time.
Q3. Are Wifi extenders and Wifi boosters the same thing?
Ans. A Wifi extender is used to extend the coverage area of the Wifi network whereas Wifi booster is used as a bridge to the gap between the network and the device.
Q4. What is a good time to replace or change a Wifi extender?
Ans. The best time to change a Wifi extender is after three to four years. Power surges due to direct connection into power outlets can wear off the extender leading to a necessary replacement after a few years.
Q5. Do I need to plug my Wifi extender into the router?
Ans. Yes, you need to plug your Wifi extender into the router to access the internet.
- Fix Video Error 5 in Google Slides
- Fix PS4 CE-32895-7 Error
- Fix Xfinity Pods Not Working
- How to Connect to Frontier Wireless Router or Modem
My Wifi extender keeps disconnecting is one of the common issues that is faced by TP link users. We hope that our guide helped you with multiple fixes to resolve connection problems with your extender. If yes, then we would like to know which one of the methods helped you the most. Leave your valuable suggestions and queries about the topic in the comments section below.