Are you a regular Instagram user? If yes, then you might have come across the ‘Action Blocked’ error at least once. This error is usually shown when you overdo an activity such as following, liking, or commenting excessively. Fortunately, there are a few ways to fix the error. In this post, you will come across the troubleshooting solutions to fix the Instagram won’t let me follow any one issue. Therefore, if you’re interested, we suggest you continue reading!
When we follow users beyond a specific limit, this activity is referred to as spamming. The Instagram algorithm detects this instantly and, as a result, bans us from following more users. Although it might take some time, one should follow a few measures till this ban is lifted. We will discuss these steps in this article!
- Fix Instagram Won’t Let Me Follow Anyone
- Why Won’t Instagram Let Me Follow People?
- 4 Ways to Fix Can’t Follow People on Instagram
- Method 1: Try logging in with a different device
- Method 2: Logout & Login Again
- Method 3: Update Instagram Application
- Method 4: Suspend your activity for the given time
- How to keep your account safe from getting banned
Fix Instagram Won’t Let Me Follow Anyone
Why Won’t Instagram Let Me Follow People?
There are several reasons why Instagram won’t let me follow anyone error shows once you follow someone. A few of these reasons are mentioned below:
- If a user has been following people excessively. In case you’re a new user, you cannot follow more than 160 users on the first day. After the initial period is over, one can follow up to 200 people daily. Additionally, one can just follow up to 7500 users in total. After this limit is reached, one has to unfollow the previous users to begin following again.
- The account may also get suspended if a user likes several pictures at once. Even commenting on a lot of images in a short period is considered spamming. Therefore, if the Instagram algorithm detects this, it is bound to suspend your account from liking or commenting anymore.
- Excessive direct messaging is also considered spamming. Business profiles are used for advertising, and many malicious accounts use them for all the wrong purposes. Therefore, if you DM people more than a specific set of times, you might get this error as well.
- Sometimes, the problem is as simple as a bad internet connection. If you are unable to follow or unfollow people, you might want to check if your Wi-Fi is functioning correctly.
- Another reason why your account might get suspended is that the algorithm may have detected the usage of bots. An Instagram bot is a practical application that lets you follow users in your place. If the algorithm detects that you’re associated with these third-party applications, then you might see this error.
- Apart from these reasons, if multiple users are using your account, your account may also be suspended. It is because several users are taking multiple actions in a short period.
- If you have added an individual to the mute list, you won’t be able to follow them until you remove them from this list.
- Your application may have a bug that prevents you from continuing your activities. You might want to update your application and restart your phone.
Now that you have a fair idea of why people get their accounts suspended on Instagram. let’s proceed further and explore the other ways to fix Instagram won’t let me follow anyone issue.
4 Ways to Fix Can’t Follow People on Instagram
If you have gone through the reasons mentioned above, you must have identified your mistake. Whether it is a bug in the application or your uncontrollable activity on the application, action blocking is something that you can end up with. Let us now take a look at some solutions that will fix this error.
Method 1: Try logging in with a different device
When we do something on an application, our IP address gets registered in the servers. If the activity is associated with one IP address, you can try using another IP address for the rest of the actions. This can be done by logging into your account through a different device. You can also use your PC or a laptop for this purpose. This method has worked for several users, therefore it is worth a try.
Method 2: Logout & Login Again
Sometimes the most confusing problems have the simplest solutions. You can try the same for this issue as well. Log out of your account by going to the settings menu and tapping on logout. Then log in again and try following some users. If the problem persists, then you might have to resort to other methods to fix can’t follow people on Instagram. If it doesn’t, your job is done!
Method 3: Update Instagram Application
Sometimes the Action Blocked error may occur if your app is running on an older version. Try updating the application in case your version is outdated. You can look for updates by going to the App Store or Google Play Store. In case the updates are available, download them and restart the application. In most cases, your problem will be resolved.
Also Read: How To Fix Instagram Won’t Let Me Post Error
Method 4: Suspend your activity for the given time
Usually, this error is displayed for two hours. Therefore, you can try following people after this two-hour duration. In most cases, the problem will be solved once this time duration is over. However, the period that you are banned for depends mainly on Instagram. In some cases, people have been banned for a few days as well. Therefore, the only logical thing to do in this situation is to suspend the activity for the given amount of time. You can begin your activity after this duration is over and be mindful of excessive liking, following, and commenting.
How to keep your account safe from getting banned
Although getting banned depends mainly on your activities, one can ensure a few safety hacks to avoid getting banned again and again. Some of these are as follows:
1. In case you have a public account, avoid getting multiple services at once. Getting various services means several individuals or robots are trying to login into your account simultaneously. This would eventually contribute to more activity.
2. One must also avoid joining third-party applications for promotions. These applications might render your account details public. This may contribute to more activity and even hacking.
3. If you have gotten banned recently, you should give it some time before continuing your promotional activities.
4. Make sure to complete your profile and keep your posts under a specific limit to avoid suspension of the algorithm’s activities.
As mentioned above, the only way to fix the Instagram won’t let me follow issue is by waiting until Instagram lifts the account suspension. To avoid such a situation, one must make sure that they are not posting and following mindlessly.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What to do when Instagram won’t let you follow anyone?
One can try a few different methods to fix the issue. Try logging out and in again. If that doesn’t work, you can try to follow people through Facebook. One can also try updating the application. In case nothing works, one has to wait until the suspension is lifted.
Q2. How long does Instagram not let you follow?
The usual time duration of suspension is about two hours. But this may get extended to a few days based on your activity.
Q3. Why is Instagram blocking me from following others?
Instagram usually follows an algorithm that blocks people from performing any more activities if you have been liking, following, and commenting excessively.
- How to Get ‘Where is Your Soulmate’ Filter on Instagram
- Find Out How Many Friends You Have On Snapchat
- How to Send Music on Facebook Messenger
- How to Cancel an Upload on Instagram App
We hope our guide was helpful and you were able to fix can’t follow people on the Instagram issue. If you liked the article, let us know in the comments below.
Pete is a Senior staff writer at TechCult. Pete loves all things technology and is also an avid DIYer at heart. He has a decade of experience writing how-tos, features, and technology guides on the internet.