There are several avid GTA fans in the world who have been loving the fifth version of the game. But there are also some issues these gamers and enthusiasts are facing. The Social Club error code 17 rdr2 is one of the common errors these GTA V gamers face on their devices. Most of them have no idea what is causing it and what are the ways to fix it completely. Read this entire article to find and learn the methods with which you can fix this GTA V Social Club error.
Table of Contents
- How to Fix GTA V Social Club Error on Windows 10
- Method 1: Run Social Club App as Administrator
- Method 2: Verify Integrity of Game Files (On Steam)
- Method 3: Set Correct Date and Time
- Method 4: Change Steam Profile Name
- Method 5: Change ProgramFilesDir from Registry Editor
- Method 6: Add Exception in Antivirus
- Method 7: Reset Game Settings
- Method 8: Reinstall Social Club App
How to Fix GTA V Social Club Error on Windows 10
Below are some of the reasons which can cause this error on your Social Club and GTA V app:
- Faulty and corrupted game files
- Incorrect PC data and time
- Steam profile name with special characters
- No admin access rights for the Social Club app
- Antivirus suite blocking the app communications
After understanding some of the common reasons for this error to occur, let us see the methods for it with the help of clear and understandable illustrations.
Method 1: Run Social Club App as Administrator
One of the most common causes is when the Social Club app does not have administrator access to open the app. And without administrator access, you can face the discussed error upon launching the Social Club app.
1. Navigate to the GTA V game folder and right-click on the game executable file.
Note: You can also navigate to the following path in the file explorer application on your PC to find the executable or .exe file.
C:\ Program Files (x86) \ Rockstar Games \ Social Club
2. Here, select the Run as administrator option.
3. Click Yes for the UAC (User Account Control) popup, if prompted.
4. Restart your PC and relaunch the GTA V app to see if the GTA V social club error is fixed or not.
Method 2: Verify Integrity of Game Files (On Steam)
If the GTA V DLL or game file is corrupt, the social club error code 17 rdr2 may appear on your computer. Follow the below-mentioned steps to verify the integrity of game files on the Steam app.
1. Press the Windows key, type Steam, and click on Open.
2. Click on the LIBRARY menu.
3. Right-click the GTA V game from the left pane and select the Properties… option.
4. Click the LOCAL FILES option, as highlighted.
5. Then, click on Verify integrity of demo files…
6. After a few moments, the game files will get successfully validated, if the files are not corrupted.
Also Read: How To Fix No Man’s Sky Crashing On PC
Method 3: Set Correct Date and Time
When the date and time on the PC do not match with the game server’s date and time, many GTA V users have faced the discussed error on their computer. You will have to set the correct date and time on your PC to match it with the server-side date and time. You can read our guide on 4 Ways to Change Date and Time in Windows 10 to set the correct time on your computer and get the GTA V social club error fixed for good.
Method 4: Change Steam Profile Name
If you are accessing the GTA V game from your Steam account, you should once check out your Steam profile name. The GTA V social club error tends to occur when the Steam profile name contains any special characters, like @, #, &, %, etc. And many Steam users have reported that the said issue gets fixed once the name is changed to some other name in which any of the mentioned special characters are not present. So, it is wise to change your name of the steam profile to something else, which will not cause the discussed issue to spring up on your GTA V game. Read and follow our guide on How to Change Steam Account Name to learn how you can do it step-by-step.
Also Read: 5 Ways to Fix GTA 5 Game Memory Error
Method 5: Change ProgramFilesDir from Registry Editor
If the Social Club app and GTA V game are installed in two separate drives on your PU, you may experience the Social Club error code 17 rdr2. To fix this, you will have to modify the path in ProgramFilesDir to the GTA V game installation with the help of the below-mentioned steps.
1. Press the Windows + R keys together to launch the Run dialog box.
2. Type regedit and press the Enter key to open Registry Editor.
3. Click Yes for the User Account Control prompt to open the Registry Editor.
4. Copy and paste the following registry path in the address bar and press Enter key.
5. From the right pane, double-click the ProgramFilesDir option.
6. Now change the Value data: D:\Program Files to the following path and click on OK.
D:\Games\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V
7. Close the Registry Editor and launch the GTA V game to see if the issue is fixed or not.
Method 6: Add Exception in Antivirus
Sometimes, the Rockstar game servers and the Social Club app on your PC can’t communicate properly. And this often happens when the antivirus installed on your computer blocks the app from communicating with the game servers. It eventually results in facing the social club error code 17 rdr2. So, to fix this, you can add an exception in the antivirus application for the GTA game files. Read and follow the upcoming steps to learn how you can do it.
Note: The exception option might differ based on the application you are using. Hence, ensure to create a proper exclusion. Avast Antivirus software is used in the illustrations below for demonstration purposes.
1. Open the Avast application and click on the Menu option from the top right corner.
2. Click on the Settings option, as shown below.
3. Click on the General tab.
4. Now, click on Exceptions > ADD EXCEPTIONS, as depicted below.
5. Enter the following paths in the Type of file path, folder path, or URL field. Then, click on ADD EXCEPTION to add the desired paths to the exclusion list.
C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Social Club C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Social Club
6. After completing this process, close the Avast application on your PC. Then, relaunch the GTA V to see if the GTA V social club error is resolved or not.
Also Read: How to Uninstall McAfee LiveSafe in Windows 10
Method 7: Reset Game Settings
If the previous method didn’t work for you to solve the issue, follow the upcoming steps to reset the whole GTA V game settings on your PC. According to many GTA V users who faced the same error mentioned in this article, they successfully fixed the issue by performing this method. Read and follow the below listed steps to do just the same on your computer.
Note: This method will clear all the custom player settings to default.
1. Hit the Windows + E keys simultaneously to launch the File Explorer.
2. From the View tab, select the File name extensions box.
3. Then, navigate to the following path in File Explorer:
4. Locate and right click on the settings.xml file and click on Rename from the context menu.
5. Replace the .xml extension with the .old and press the Enter key on keyboard to save the change.
6. Click on Yes to confirm the popup.
7. Next, navigate to the following folder in your File Explorer app:
8. Now, right-click on the cfg.dat and pc_settings.bin files and Rename them with the .old extension, like cfg.old and pc_ settings.old.
9. Finally, reboot the PC and launch the GTA V game to see if the Social Club error code 17 rdr2 is fixed or not.
Method 8: Reinstall Social Club App
At last, if no method has successfully resolved the issue for you, you can reinstall the Social Club app on your PC. Read and follow the upcoming steps to see how you can do it.
1. Press the Windows + I keys simultaneously to open the Settings app.
2. Click on Apps setting.
3. Locate the Social Club app and click on Uninstall.
4. Next, visit the Rockstar Games Social Club website and download the app.
5. Run the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install it on your PC.
- How to Perform Vortex Mod Manager Download on Windows 10
- Fix PUBG Lagging on Windows 10
- Fix Rainbow Six Siege Crashing on Windows 10
- Fix GTA 4 Seculauncher Failed to Start Application 2000
So, we hope you have understood how to fix GTA V social club error with the detailed steps to your aid. You can let us know any queries about this article or suggestions about any other topic you want us to make an article on. Drop them in the comments section below for us to know.