Forza Horizon is a 2016 racing game published by Electronic Arts and developed by Playground games. It is exclusive to Xbox and Microsoft Windows and the game is only released on those platforms. After universal acclaim reception, the Forza horizon series still holds to this day as the best racing game. However, players sometimes report crashes and launching issues in Forza horizon, particularly Forza horizon 3 not starting. This guide will teach you how to effectively troubleshoot and fix Forza horizon 3 not launching issue. So, let’s get started!
- How to Fix Forza Horizon 3 Not Starting Issue
- Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
- Method 2: Delete Temporary Files
- Method 3: Disable Microphone
- Method 4: Enable Windows Update Service
- Method 5: Close NAHIMIC Sound Software Process
- Method 6: Sign in to Microsoft Account
- Method 7: Use Dedicated Graphics Card
- Method 8: Reset Forza Horizon 3
- Method 9: Disable Microsoft User Accounts
- Method 10: Reset Microsoft Store Cache
- Method 11: Install .NET Framework
- Method 12: Reinstall Forza Horizon 3
How to Fix Forza Horizon 3 Not Starting Issue
Let us see some of the causes behind Forza horizon 3 not starting error
- Windows Update Service not active
- Overclocking Issues
- Issues with Microsoft Store
- Corrupt Microsoft User accounts
- Issues with integrated graphics
- DirectX and Microsoft Visual C++ framework not updated
- Corrupt Forza Horizon 3 Settings
- NAHIMIC Sound Software Issues
- Not Signed into a Microsoft Account
- Too many Monitors and/or USB devices connected
- Graphics drivers are not updated
- Antivirus Issues
- Forza Horizon 3 temporary settings corrupt
- Problems with the Microphone
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
Before going through the advanced methods, follow these basic troubleshooting methods to fix the error.
1A. Ensure System Requirement is Met
It is possible that your computer can’t handle the intensity of Forza Horizon 3 sometimes. Thus, it is imperative to meet the minimum system requirements for a seamless gaming experience. Read out the requirements given below and ensure all the necessary components are available.
|Minimum Requirements||Recommended requirements|
|CPU||Intel i3-4170 @ 3.7Ghz OR Intel i5 750 @ 2.67Ghz||Intel i7 3820@ 3.6 GHz|
|RAM||8 GB||12 GB|
|OS||Windows 10||Windows 10|
|VIDEO CARD||Nvidia 650TI or Nvidia GT 740 or AMD R7 250x||Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB OR AMD RX 470|
|DEDICATED VIDEO RAM||2 GB||4 GB|
1B. Disable Overclocking
Overclocking GPU removes the limitation of the graphics card and enables it to carry out above its safety limit. Although the overclock process can help with FPS in games, it can also put unnecessary stress on the graphics card causing Forza horizon 3 not starting error. Disable the overclocking of your GPU and see if it solves the issue.
1C. Disconnect USB devices and Additional Monitors
Users reported that certain devices like audio enhancers etc. can cause problems with launching the game. Always connect only the necessary devices that are required to run the game. Also if you have multiple monitors, then you must disconnect the additional monitors to see if the Forza Horizon 3 not launching issue stops.
1D. Perform Clean Boot
Clean boot allows you to manually disable all of the startups and services to troubleshoot the Forza Horizon 3 not launching. Check out our detailed guide Perform clean boot in Windows 10.
1E. Run Game as Administrator
If Forza Horizon 3 not starting persists on Windows 10, then simply run the game in compatibility mode. The method is immensely useful at times and there is no harm in trying this solution once. Follow the instructions to run the game in compatibility mode.
1. Right-click on the Forza horizon game shortcut on the desktop and click on Properties.
2. Navigate to the Compatibility tab. Then, enable the Run this program in compatibility mode for under the Compatibility mode section and select the relevant OS from the drop-down menu.
3. Then, check the Run this program as an administrator option under the Settings section. Finally, select Apply and then click OK to save the changes made.
4. Close the Forza Horizon 3 game application. Then, re-launch it again and check if the issue persists.
1F. Update Graphics Drivers
Most of the time, a crash at startup or even in mid-game can be due to faulty or outdated graphics drivers. Always update your graphics cards to ensure maximum compatibility with all games. There are different methods for each graphics card. Follow our detailed guide on 4 ways to update Graphic Drivers in Windows 10.
1G. Try Installing another app from Microsoft Store
Forza Horizon is a Microsoft video game, and it requires the proper functioning of the Microsoft Store. So, if there are any issues with the Microsoft store then the error Forza Horizon 3 not starting can occur.
1. Open Microsoft Store by typing in the Windows search bar. Click on Open.
2. Click on any app or game that you want to install.
3. Finally, click on the Install button to download the application.
4. After installing the app check if the error with game is resolved.
1H. Install Latest Windows Updates
Always make sure the Windows updates are downloaded and installed regularly. Windows updates the computer many times. Microsoft release updates regularly to fix most of the bugs including game bugs. Read our guide on How to download and install Windows 10 latest Update.
1I. Reinstall DirectX
To enjoy a seamless multimedia experience on Forza Horizon (FH3), you have to make sure whether DirectX is installed, and it is updated to its latest version. DirectX helps you improve the visual media experience for graphical games and applications especially. DirectX 12 is flexible for high graphical support applications in your Windows 10 computer. This lets Skype know what to do and you can follow the below-mentioned steps to check if your system already contains DirectX 12. Read our guide to re-install DirectX in Windows 10.
1J. Disable Antivirus Software (If Applicable)
Antivirus is useful for detecting unknown threats but unfortunately, sometimes it detects false positive threats even for legally bought games. This can be frustrating since the files are original and don’t contain a virus. In any case, disable the protection for your antivirus software and try rerunning the game. Read our guide on How to disable Antivirus Temporarily on Windows 10 to turn off antivirus for a certain time.
Method 2: Delete Temporary Files
Temporary files are useful for a game and even for Windows since they are stored to retrieve the info faster the next time you launch the same action. However, if these temporary files are corrupt then issues like Forza horizon 3, not starting can occur.
1. Press the Windows key + I simultaneously to open Settings.
2. Click on System.
3. In the left pane click on Storage.
4. Then, click on the Temporary files present under Storage usage.
Note: Wait for a few minutes while the temporary storage is being scanned by Windows.
5. In the Temporary files menu, check the boxes named:
- Temporary files
- Temporary Internet Files
- Delivery Optimization Files.
6. Finally, click on the Remove files button to delete the selected options.
Also Read: Fix Forza Horizon 5 Crashing in Windows 10
Method 3: Disable Microphone
Forza horizon 3 not starting can also be caused by microphone issues. Follow the steps below to disable the microphone in the settings:
1. Go to the Settings menu by simultaneously pressing Windows + I keys together.
2. Click on Privacy setting.
3. Navigate to the Microphone tab on the left side and then disable the toggle for Forza Horizon 3 under Choose which Microsoft Store apps can access your microphone.
Method 4: Enable Windows Update Service
If you have disabled the microphone but cannot fix the issue, please ensure that the Windows Update service is running. To do that
1. Launch the Run dialog by simultaneously pressing Windows + R keys.
2. Type services.msc and hit Enter key to open the Services window.
3. Locate the Windows Update service and double-click on it.
4. Click on the Startup type: dropdown to Automatic.
5. Now, check if the Service status is Running, if it is Stopped click on the Start button present under Service status.
6. Finally, click on Apply and then OK.
Also Read: Fix Forza Horizon FH5 Error 0x803FB107
Method 5: Close NAHIMIC Sound Software Process
Users having the NAHIMIC sound software reported that ending the process for NAHIMIC sound software fixed the Forza horizon 3 not starting problem. Follow the below steps to end the process:
1. Simultaneously press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open the Task Manager.
2. Locate the Nahimic Audio software process or one with a similar name and click on it. Finally, click the End Task button.
Method 6: Sign in to Microsoft Account
If you logged into your Windows using a local account(offline account) then there can be problems with launching Forza Horizon 3. The reason for this is that, if you did not log in to a Microsoft account online, the Microsoft store cannot get your data. Since Forza Horizon 3 does not run properly if the Microsoft Store is not logged with your online Microsoft account, this can cause problems launching the game which cause Forza horizon 3 not starting issue.
1. Simultaneously press the Windows + I keys to launch the Settings menu.
2. Click on Accounts.
3. Under Email & accounts tab, and click on Add a Microsoft account on the right side.
4. After logging into your account restart your computer and check if the issue resolves.
Method 7: Use Dedicated Graphics Card
Even if you have a laptop or PC with minimum or recommended requirements, integrated graphics cannot help with running the game as efficiently as dedicated ones. Integrated graphics are used for the sole purpose of accessing Video files and mild Video editing and other less intensive tasks. So, for playing demanding games like Forza Horizon you need a dedicated graphics card. Thus, select NVIDIA GPU from the control panel to rectify this problem.
1. Launch NVIDIA Control Panel from the Start menu or desktop shortcut icon.
2. On the NVIDIA Control Panel window, select Configure Surround, PhysX option under the 3D settings section on the left pane.
3. On the right pane, click the Processor dropdown under the PhysX settings section. Then, select the destined GPU from the context menu.
4. Once modified, click Apply to save the change made. Finally, check if the issue you are struggling with is resolved.
Method 8: Reset Forza Horizon 3
Try to reset the game to its default settings to see if the error Forza horizon 3 not launching issue resolves. Follow the steps below:
1. Simultaneously press Windows + I to launch the Settings menu.
2. Click on Apps.
3. Then, click on Forza horizon 3 and select Advanced options.
4. Finally, click on Reset under the Reset section.
5. Confirm the prompt by clicking on Reset again.
Also Read: Fix Forza Horizon 5 Stuck on Loading Screen
Method 9: Disable Microsoft User Accounts
Players have also reported fixing the problem by disabling all the user accounts. If there is a corrupt User login credentials, it can be bad and cause problems with Microsoft Store which can cause an error with the game itself. The solution is to disable all the user accounts if you cannot pinpoint the corrupt User account.
1. In the search bar, type Command prompt and click Run as administrator option as shown.
2. Enter the command followed by the username of your account and hit Enter Key.
net user <username> /active:no
3. Check if the error Forza horizon 3 not starting is gone, you can re-enable the user accounts by entering the following command with yes in the end.
net user <username> /active:yes
Method 10: Reset Microsoft Store Cache
Try resetting the Windows Store cache to see if it solves the error. Most Windows store-related problems can be fixed by a simple Windows store reset.
1. Launch the Run dialog box.
2. Type wsreset.exe and hit Enter key to clear Microsoft Store cache data.
This will automatically reset the Microsoft Store cache and launch Microsoft Store.
Method 11: Install .NET Framework
The Forza Horizon not launching error can be due to Microsoft.NET Framework not being installed or is corrupt, we suggest you follow our link on How to Install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 to get an idea to download the Microsoft .NET Framework and install it.
Method 12: Reinstall Forza Horizon 3
If none of the methods has helped you, then try to reinstall the game if possible. All the settings and configurational setup will be refreshed when you reinstall it, and hence there are more chances that you would attain a fix for Forza Horizon 3 not starting issue.
1. Hit the Windows + I keys simultaneously to launch the Windows Settings.
2. Now, click on Apps setting.
3. Now, locate and click on Forza Horizon 3 game and select Uninstall option.
4. Now, confirm the prompt if any, and reboot the PC once you have uninstalled Forza Horizon 3.
5. Then, download the game again from Microsoft Store.
Finally, you have reinstalled Forza Horizon 3 on your computer. It would have fixed all the issues associated with the app.
- Fix An Unexpected Error has Occurred Chrome OS Recovery
- Fix 0x80070032 Forza Horizon 5 Error in Windows 10
- Fix Forza Horizon 4 FH001 in Windows 10
- Fix Forza Horizon 4 Not Launching in Windows 10
We hope the above guide on Forza Horizon 3 not starting was helpful and you were able to fix your issue. Drop a comment below if you have any suggestions or queries about the article.