One of the perks of making the business successful using Digital Marketing tools is Email Marketing. If you have been managing email servers for web hosts or VPS hosts, you might have encountered is STMP Error 541: Mail rejected by destination domain message, in which, STMP stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. Error code 541 may occur due to software glitches or due to issues with the hosting domain or apps. These issues can be easily cleared and you can resume sending the emails to your recipients easily. The article serves the same purpose by introducing methods to fix 541 error.
How to Fix Mail Server Error Code 541 in Windows 10
The list of reasons for which error code 541 may occur is listed in this section.
- Mail Blocked by Receiver- The mail that you are sending might be blocked or reported as spam by the receiver.
- Spam-Mails- The bulk emails that you are sending may contain some spam triggering words and maybe spam in the mail server. Also, the false positive spam-triggering at the recipient mail may cause the error.
- IP is Blacklisted- If the IP address of the mail server may be blacklisted owing to the poor reputation of the domain server.
- Incompatible Background Programs- If many apps are running in the background, you may face this issue due to interference from the apps.
- Issue with Memory Storage- The limited memory or RAM space on your PC may not allow the mail to be sent to the receiver. Also, sufficient space may not be available on the Google Drive of your Gmail account.
- Issue in Graphics Driver- The minor software glitches on the Graphics Driver may cause the error if the content of the mail involves a lot of graphics.
- Malware Files- If there are any malware or virus-infected files on your PC, you may face this issue.
Here are all the possible troubleshooting methods to fix the mail server 541 error in Windows 10.
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
The simplistic methods to fix error code 541 are described in this basic troubleshooting section. You can fix minor glitches and software issues on your PC using these methods.
1A. Avoid Using Bulk Email List
The most probable reason for the error is due to the bulk email list prepared by the server. In this case, you can avoid sending the emails to unknown emails or to the receiver who has not subscribed to the email service.
1B. Avoid Using SPAM Triggering Words
The error code may occur if there is some usage of SPAM triggering words in the mail. You can follow the basic methods given here to fix the error.
- Avoid using Exclamations in the subject title of the mail sent.
- Do not write the subject of the mail in Capital letters.
- If you are using Images in the mail, ensure to provide alt-texts for them in MS Word and then, insert it into the mail.
1C. Check for PC Requirements
One of the possible reasons for error code 541 may be due to incompatibility of the mail server platform on your PC. You can use the link given here to check for the PC specifications and ensure that the mail server you are using is compatible with your PC.
1D. Close Background Apps
If numerous apps are running in the background, you can try closing the background apps using the Task Manager app. Follow our guide to end task in Windows 10 and fix the error.
1F. Repair System files
If there are any malware files on your PC, you can try scanning your PC for virus files. Read our guide to repair system files on Windows 10 to search for malware files on your PC and clear those files to fix the error.
Also Read: Fix System Error Code 1231 in Windows 10
1G. Check Email Queue in cPanel (If Applicable)
cPanel is a platform that provides the most reliable and intuitive server for email listing and site management. If you are using the cPanel platform to manage emails, you can check the email queue using the exim –bpc command. This would print the size of the Exim mail queue and if the value on the result is higher, it means that there is a lot of spamming in mails.
1H. Clear Storage Space
The error may be caused by the numerous files on your PC, you can try clearing the memory space to fix the error code. Follow the methods listed in our article to free up hard disk space on Windows 10.
1I. Update Device Drivers
If there are a lot of graphics or images in the mail you are trying to send, you may face error code 541 if the graphics driver on your PC is outdated. You can try to update device drivers on Windows 10 by reading our guide.
1J. Reinstall Device Drivers
If there are a lot of graphics or images in the mail you are trying to send, you may face error code 541 if the graphics driver on your PC is outdated. You can try to uninstall and reinstall drivers on Windows 10.
1K. Update Windows
If the Windows OS on your PC is outdated, you can try updating it to the latest version to fix the error. Follow our guide to download and install latest Windows 10 updates on your PC.
1L. Run Virus Scan
Microsoft Windows provides every system the protection it needs from new and evolving malware roaming out there with its Microsoft Security feature. It will automatically scan your system to detect and eradicate any virus or malware. Follow our guide on how do I run a virus scan on my computer?
Method 2: Disable Screen Saver on Server
If you are using any Screen save as the Desktop background, it may conflict with the mail server you are using. You can disable it to fix 541 error.
1. Press the Windows + D keys together to open Desktop.
2. Right-click on a space, and click on the Personalize option.
3. Move to the Lock screen tab on the left pane and click on the Screen saver settings option.
4. Select the None option in the drop-down menu in the Screen saver section and click on Apply and then on the OK buttons.
Also Read: Fix Outlook App Won’t Open in Windows 10
Method 3: Update Mail and Calendar App
The Mali and Calendar app is an in-built app from Microsoft for managing emails. If the Mail and Calendar app is outdated on your PC, you may face this error. You can try updating the app to the latest version using the Microsoft Store. You can follow the steps in this method to update the Outlook app as well as to fix error code 541.
1. Hit the Windows key, type Microsoft Store, then click on Open.
2. Click on Library.
3. Click on Get updates at the top right corner. This will update the Mail and Calendar app.
4. Wait till the update process is complete and reboot the PC.
Method 4: Reset Mail and Calendar App
If there are any glitches in using the Mail and Calendar app or the Outlook app, you can reset it to the default settings to fix this error.
1. Open the Settings app by hitting the Windows + I keys together.
2. Click on the Apps setting.
3. In the Apps & features menu, click on the Mail and Calendar app and click on the Advanced options.
4. In the Reset section, click on the Reset button.
5. Click on the Reset button on the confirmation message and restart your PC.
Method 5: Update Anti-Virus Program
The bugs or software glitches within the third-party anti-virus software on your PC may cause this error. You can update this software to fix error code 541.
Note: For explanatory purposes, the Avast Free Antivirus app is chosen. The settings may slightly differ from other anti-virus software.
1. Press the Windows key, type Avast Free Antivirus, then click on Open.
2. Click on the Menu icon at the top-right corner of the Avast user interface.
3. Click on the Settings option on the list.
4. Now, switch to Update tab and click on Check for Update button.
5. Make sure you get one of the following messages after update is successful:
- Virus definitions are up to date
- Avast Free Antivirus is up to date
5. Once you have updated it, restart Avast and check if the issue has been solved.
Method 6: Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package
The error might occur if the basic packages required for effective functioning are missing or corrupt. In this case, you can try reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package on your PC to fix the error. Read our guide on how to reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable on your PC.
Method 7: Modify Internet Explorer Settings
Internet Explorer is the web browser that is in use by most PCs. Though you might be using other web browsers, the error or glitches on Internet Explorer might cause the issue. You can follow the methods given here to clear the software issues on the IE and fix error code 541.
Option I: Reset Web Browser
The first method is to reset the web browser using Internet Options on your PC. This would clear all the glitches and issues and would make the browser afresh.
1. Press the Windows key, type Internet Options, and click on Open.
2. In the Internet Properties window, move to the Advanced tab.
3. Click on the Reset… button in the Reset Internet Explorer settings section.
4. Click on the Reset button on the pop-up window and wait till the process is complete.
5. Click on the Close button after the web Browser is reset.
Option II: Alter Browsing Settings
The next option is to alter the browser settings or disable the script debugging settings on Internet Options. This would clear the issues that may arise in the code scripts of the web browser.
1. Launch the Internet Options control panel.
2. Navigate to the Advanced tab, and select the following settings in the Browsing section.
- Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)
- Disable script debugging (Other)
3. Uncheck the Display a notification about every script error and then click on the Apply and OK buttons.
Method 8: Modify Excel Files
If you are sending Excel Files as either an attachment or as Google Sheets, the data in the file may cause error code 541. You can follow the methods described in this section to fix the error.
Option I: Split Import Files
If you are importing data from an Excel file to Google Sheets, you can follow the instructions in this method to split the entries. This would reduce the load of data and you can avoid the error when it is sent as an attachment.
1. Hit the Windows key, type chrome, and click on Open.
2. Open the Gmail login page using the link given here and log in to your account.
3. Click on the Google Apps icon and click on the Sheets option.
4. Click on the File tab and click on the Import option on the list.
5. Browse for the file and import the data by splitting the entries into sections.
Note: The maximum limit for data entries is 16000, so split the entries into batches accordingly.
Also Read: Fix Excel Has Run into an Error
Option II: Export in CSV Format
While exporting data in a tabular format, you can try exporting the Excel file in the CSV or Comma-Separated Value format. This would allow the data to be structured in the table format and error code 541 can be avoided.
1. Press the Windows key, type excel, then click on Open.
2. Click on the File tab at the top bar.
3. Click on the Export tab on the left pane of the window. Then, click on CSV (Comma delimited) option under Other File Type section.
4. Browse and save the file to the destined location. Try attaching the saved file to the mail and check if the error is solved.
Method 9: Contact Mail Server Support Team
If your IP address or the mail server is blacklisted, you may not be able to send any emails and the error message may occur. The final resort is to contact the support team of the Mail server domain you have subscribed to and ask them to whitelist your IP address.
- Fix Error Code 0x8009000f 0x90002 in Windows 10
- Fix Dropbox Error 400 Message in Windows 10
- Fix Outlook Error 0x8004102a in Windows 10
- Fix Gmail Error 78754 on Outlook
We hope that you were able to fix mail server error code 541 from the methods that are discussed in the article. Let us know which of these methods was effective in fixing 541 error. Please use the comments section here to let us know your valuable suggestions and queries.