Encountering Gmail Error 78754 while using Outlook can disrupt your email workflow and prevent you from accessing your Gmail account through the Outlook application. In this concise guide, we’ll explore the common causes behind this error and provide effective solutions to fix it. By following these steps, you can resolve Gmail Error 78754 on Outlook and ensure seamless email communication.
How to Fix Gmail Error 78754 on Outlook
Internet Message Access Protocol helps to access emails for the users from a mail server with TCP or IP connection. The messages read via the portal are stored on the mail server which can further be organized on the device. IMAP is accessed via the internet and can be used on any device. This feature allows users to read their mail from any device at any given time.
It is a fast and convenient way to keep a record of all the messages sent. Also, it helps in downloading the messages when clicked on without an additional need for downloading. Another great thing about IMAP is that it can be used offline, giving a great benefit to the users.
What Causes the 78754 Error?
Not just one but there are multiple reasons why 78754 failure appeared while accessing Outlook mail. Let us discuss these reasons in brief below:
- Incorrect log-in credentials are one of the common reasons behind the error to happen.
- Suspicious log-in is another cause of the error, when Google detects a doubtful activity while attempting log-in, a 78754 error pops up.
- Two-step verification is meant to provide extra security to your account, but it can also be a hindrance when opening your Outlook account.
- Accessing the account from a different location or device can also be behind it.
- Disabled IMAP or incorrect IMAP server settings can also be a cause.
- Outdated Outlook application is another one of the major reasons to interfere with the mail service opening up.
- One of the many reasons can also be incorrect Outlook configuration.
Now that you have covered the subject of the reason behind Gmail error 78754 Outlook, it is time to know what can be done to resolve it, so, let us start with some of the most sought-out and ordered methods:
Method 1: Verify Gmail Log-in Credentials
The basic mistake that most users tend to not pay attention to is incorrect credentials while logging into the Gmail account. If these are wrong, they can most probably restrict you from accessing your Outlook account. Therefore, ensure you check the log-in details closely.
Method 2: Enable IMAP and Allow Less Secure Apps
To experience smooth and undisturbed Microsoft Outlook processing, the IMAP server must be turned on. Disabling it can be a reason why you are facing 78754 failure on your system. Let us look at steps that can help us to turn IMAP on and allow less secure apps so that Google does not recognize Microsoft Outlook as one:
Note: Less secure app setting is not available for two-step verification-enabled accounts.
1. Open Gmail log-in page on the web.
2. Fill in the credentials and log in to your Gmail account.
3. In the Gmail account, click on the gear icon and select See all settings from the menu.
4. Select the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab and select Enable IMAP.
5. Select Save Changes at the bottom.
6. Next, locate Allow less secure apps option and turn it on.
You can follow the next method to configure Microsoft Outlook if Gmail IMAP Error 78754 still persists.
Method 3: Configure Outlook
If your Microsoft Outlook account is not properly configured, it can also lead to 78754 error, Therefore, using the following steps, configure your account correctly.
1. Press the Windows key, type outlook and hit the Enter key.
2. Enter your email and select Advanced options.
3. Select Let me set up my account manually option and select Connect.
4. Select IMAP, POP, or Google.
5. Make sure that IMAP or POP servers are turned on.
6A. Use, Server: imap. gmail. Com, Port: 993, Encryption method: SSL/TLS, Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA): Unchecked for Incoming mail.
6B. Use, Server: smtp. gmail. com, Port: 465, Encryption method: SSL/TLS, Server timeout: one bar, Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA): Unchecked, My Outgoing (SMTP) server requires authentication: Checked, Use same settings as my incoming mail server: Checked for Outgoing mail.
7. Click Next.
8. Once you have completed all these steps, fill in your log-in credentials and click Connect to continue.
Method 4: Update Microsoft Outlook
An outdated Microsoft Outlook account is another reason which pushes Gmail IMAP Error 78754 to pop up on your screen while signing in to your account. So, update the application to its latest version:
1. Launch the Outlook app.
2. Click on the File tab.
3. Select Office Account from the side menu.
4. Click on Update Options and select Update Now.
5. Once your Outlook application is up to date, try logging in to it again and see if 78754 error is resolved.
Method 5: Generate App-specific Password
2-step verification is extremely essential to secure your accounts, especially your Gmail account where all the important emails, files, and data are stored. If you have enabled two-step verification for your account already then generate an app-specific password for Outlook. This will certainly help you with Google blocking the less secure apps like Outlook on your system and eventually will help you with Gmail error 78754 Outlook.
1. Log in to your Gmail account.
2. Navigate to Google Security Page in the browser.
3. Locate App passwords and click on it.
4. Enter your password to verify your account and click on Next.
5. Click on Select app and choose Other.
6. Enter Outlook and click on GENERATE.
A new automated password will be generated for the Outlook application on your system. You can copy this password and save it for future logging into your account without encountering Gmail IMAP Error 78754 error.
Also Read: How To Fix Gmail Queued And Failed Error
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. How can I fix the IMAP server alert in Microsoft Outlook?
Ans. Delete attachments with the emails that you have received on Outlook. These attachments are the main reason behind the IMAP alert. Also, ensure to delete them from the trash bin too. Close and then restart the Outlook application to run it without the server alert.
Q2. Why do I repeatedly get the IMAP error?
Ans. Getting the IMAP error over and again while operating Outlook is usually due to an internet connection or wrong email settings. Also, you can get this error while getting an email on the app.
Q3. Can I connect my Gmail to Outlook?
Ans. Yes, connecting your Gmail account to Outlook is possible. You can do so by adding it via Account Settings in Outlook.
Q4. Is IMAP for Gmail?
Ans. Yes, Gmail provides IMAP for the clients and allows connecting to mail from a desktop or mobile.
Q5. How can I fix the IMAP Gmail error?
Ans. To fix the IMAP Gmail error, you can enable IMAP for your Gmail account by accessing the settings.
Outlook services are indeed very useful if you are a regular user of the application and if you encounter a 78754 error, it can disrupt you from using the email feature of the app. We hope that our guide was helpful and you were able to fix Gmail error 78754 on Outlook. Let us know which one of the methods helped you resolve the issue. If you have further queries or any valuable suggestions to give then drop them down below in the comments section.